Need help deciding: Evo. vs. Golf R

Sledhead36

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drove both today and agree. The EVO is a solid racer, the R is much more docile but probably a better daily car. Where would you go to do those upgrades if he gets one?

One stop shop is APR. You can load up your cart with a fully loaded stg 2+ chip, intake, fuel pump and turbo back exhaust. They are quite pricey though.

If it were me, I'd do some mix and matching to get it a bit cheaper. I'd do United Motorsports Chip (no lift shift, launch control, and allows brake and gas at same time for brake boost). APR is redoing their software because UM stole TONS of their customers recently.

EVOMS intake. 42DD turboback, and an APR fuel pump.

For those that said to keep the Golf R stock, :dumb:

You can pick up 100tq and about 60hp with an intake, fuel pump, downpipe and chip. (under $2,500)

You can pick up more on the EvoX for less... :)

Also, why not get a STI? Best of both worlds.

If you want an interesting sleeper daily type of car, look into a Galant VR4. The 4g63 is a proven platform and while the tranny is weak, there are solutions for that. I like them because they are uncommon and its fun to see the look on someone's face when you blow their doors off in such a mundane looking car (I don't personally have one, but a buddy does that I have ridden in, very fun car).

Here is a 6th gen model

http://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/plugins/PostviaEmail/images/1991_Mitsubishi_Galant_VR4_For_Sale_Rear_resize.jpg

There is a 7th and 8th gen Galant VR4, but they come with a TT v6 and I don't believe there would be much of an aftermarket for those motors/drivetrains (although I could be wrong).

If you want an interesting sleeper daily type of car, look into a Galant VR4. The 4g63 is a proven platform and while the tranny is weak, there are solutions for that. I like them because they are uncommon and its fun to see the look on someone's face when you blow their doors off in such a mundane looking car (I don't personally have one, but a buddy does that I have ridden in, very fun car).

Here is a 6th gen model

http://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/plugins/PostviaEmail/images/1991_Mitsubishi_Galant_VR4_For_Sale_Rear_resize.jpg

There is a 7th and 8th gen Galant VR4, but they come with a TT v6 and I don't believe there would be much of an aftermarket for those motors/drivetrains (although I could be wrong).

God damn dude!!! The guy asked about two cars specifically not some shit box old beater.

EVO FTW!!!

God damn dude!!! The guy asked about two cars specifically not some shit box old beater.

EVO FTW!!!

How did I know when I saw your name that your post was going to some how include me in a way to try to put me down?? :dumb: :fa:

Of all the people in here giving him an opinion (on the cars he asked about or the cars he didn't ask about), at least I am giving him an opinion based on personal experience. Now given his parameters of what he wants for his son, this may not be too far off. While they may have their hearts set on one of the two cars he asked about, there may be other options out there they didn't think about that they could be open to. That being said, it would be a very comfortable daily and with the suspension set up correctly could be a viable track car. The car also has a vast aftermarket motor and transmission wise.

Here is a 6th gen model

Do you know how hard to find one of those? I've been looking for the last six months and can't find one.

Do you know how hard to find one of those? I've been looking for the last six months and can't find one.

Depends on how far you would go to get one. If you don't mind making a trip, they can be found. There is one in Minnesota on http://www.dsmtuners.com in the classifieds section right now.

Looking at a fun little car and was wondering what the thoughts are regarding these two rides. Performance, ride, maintenance reliability.....etc.

How did I know when I saw your name that your post was going to some how include me in a way to try to put me down?? :dumb: :fa:

Of all the people in here giving him an opinion (on the cars he asked about or the cars he didn't ask about), at least I am giving him an opinion based on personal experience. Now given his parameters of what he wants for his son, this may not be too far off. While they may have their hearts set on one of the two cars he asked about, there may be other options out there they didn't think about that they could be open to. That being said, it would be a very comfortable daily and with the suspension set up correctly could be a viable track car. The car also has a vast aftermarket motor and transmission wise.

Here you go man. I'll help you because I see you're having a hard time.

Here is a 6th gen model

HOW THE FUCK DID THIS EVEN COME UP? the guy asked about an evo and vw. THIS IS WHAT YOU THOUGHT ABOUT?

Aventador

GTR :)

I like this as well.

Unless you want to go Mk4 R32.....then do that :)

Bugatti

MKIV

And none of these cars suggested were what he asked for either, what's your point? And yes, I realize some of these aren't serious suggestions.

And none of these cars suggested were what he asked for either, what's your point? And yes, I realize some of these aren't serious suggestions.

Yeah, but I don't think he was looking for rust buckets.. But it would be kind of funny seeing that parked next to a couple of Lambos.

You can pick up more on the EvoX for less... :)

Also, why not get a STI? Best of both worlds.

A comparably equipped Evo is more expensive than the r.

The r is comparable to the sti in terms of handling performance and lap times, and a bit slower than an Evo.

While I don’t have any experience with either of these cars I think these are two very important questions while thinking about this.

What is his overall driving experience?

Specifically on track?

Both of these cars are probably going to be pretty fast on track, even out of the box. If it must be one of these two, I would think one might be more forgiving at the limit than the other; simply by the nature of the stock handling characteristics. Just spit-balling a guess that’s probably going to be the R, but that’s just an educated guess. Bigger picture if he has little to no track experience, I would think something with less power, lower absolute handling limits and maybe more neutrally balanced might be more appropriate while he learns. This also depends on how serious he/you thinks he will be about tracking it. Maybe this isn’t such a big deal if we are just talking about one or two learning events a year.

Just food for thought, take it as you wish.

most of those are obvious jokes, clearly your sense of sarcasm is level thorne. I know you meant well, but it comes off as "the buster" like, and you dont wanna be that guy. Dont be that guy

• Upvote 1

most of those are obvious jokes, clearly your sense of sarcasm is level thorne. I know you meant well, but it comes off as "the buster" like, and you dont wanna be that guy. Dont be that guy

I can see 2 of the 5 suggestions to be serious (and possibly the GTR). And inb4thornederailsthreadwithbutthurtcausedbynamedropping.