Title Transfer from FL?

zeitgeist57

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/registration_buy_used_vehicle.stm

Has anyone had experience transferring a title from a car out of state? Specifically, do they need to inspect the car? My BMW is still in FL until July, but I'd like to get the title and possibly registration done so I can put valid plates on it to drive it home. Thanks!

I've had family transfer titles from Fl. a couple of times. As I recall it was cake, only inspection the OBMV does is to verify VIN etc, I believe the car has to physically be in Ohio/At the DMV.

When I bought the Regal last year from PA I had to buy a Temporary PA tag to drive it home ($70), then wait 30 days and then get the permanent tags from Ohio.

Yes they inspected it but it was just to verify the VIN.

You can take the car to a dealer or police station to get a vin verification form and then you can transfer title easily or you have to bring car into title agency here. I can probably get a buddy here to do the form if needed.

We do it at Buckeye Nissan. Let me know if you need one Clay.

Kevin, you're saying I can come in with the title and you can do the out of state inspection form?

That would be awesome as I'm living at Arlington Park in Mill Run while my house is getting renovated....right down the street from Buckeye Nissan! Please PM me and we can talk more.

I've had family transfer titles from Fl. a couple of times. As I recall it was cake, only inspection the OBMV does is to verify VIN etc, I believe the car has to physically be in Ohio/At the DMV.

This guy^. I just went thru swapping the title and getting plates yesterday in Delaware.

Depends on who you get at the BMV or Title office and how their day is going. Usually just pull your car around and they walk out with your notatrized title from Florida and comapred it the vin. You're not done there though, because you still have to transfer the title. So, before you go, CALL the title office and ask them what all they'll need from THAT state (hopefully they'll take the time to tell you) or go online to FLA BMV website and look it up. The title office will pull out a big book that lists all the particulars of a completed sale in Florida. For example, if in Florida you need a bill of sale as well as a notarized title to transfer a vehicle, then you better have a bill of sale as well when you go to get the title transferred. If it's just a notarized title, you should be fine.