Outer banks

Buckeye1647545503

obx is horribly overpriced and boring.

I really enjoy OBX. I didn't think it was overpriced and I enjoyed the boring part. Especially since I walked on the beach for an hour on a Sautrday afternoon and didn't see a single other person.....that's what I like!

I stayed in a decent place on Ocracoke Island (only accessible by ferry). Drove the scenic highway.

There are 3-4 lighthouses to check out, the most famous one is on Hatteras island, its pretty neat, I think the tallest in north america? Also they move it due to erroding coast line so there are some cool videos of that.

Also in Kitty Hawk is where the wright brothers did their first flight. Worth a trip there too.

There wasn't a single bar in whatever area we went to, we had to drive 45 minutes to some skanky little pool hall. We went with a group of friends so it was cool kickin it at the house we rented and going to the beach I guess, but other than that there was literally nothing to do.

I'm headed there in two weeks myself and have been going since the late'80s. It's more of a sight seeing place and family oriented. Not great variety on food places, but captain georges buffet is worth the trip itself.

Take a 4x4 and explore the offroad beaches and you never know when you'll stumble upon a newly uncovered shipwreck, sea turtle nest, or wild horses.

I'm headed there in two weeks myself and have been going since the late'80s. It's more of a sight seeing place and family oriented. Not great variety on food places, but captain georges buffet is worth the trip itself.

Take a 4x4 and explore the offroad beaches and you never know when you'll stumble upon a newly uncovered shipwreck, sea turtle nest, or wild horses.

Could you perhaps suggest the best way Scott may set the sea turtle nest or wild horses on fire for his amusement?

I think the point of obx is not to do anything. Ive been twice and that was the best part. There really isnt much "exciting" stuff to get into that we could find. Just chillin out on the beach and losing touch with reality for a few days was amazing. Well, on second thought, we did go clamming, crabbing, fishing, boating, and drink heavily the last time and that was cool.

if you come back with a obx sticker on your back windshield I will kick you in the nuts.. just saying

and this whole time I thought people just had cheap ebay headers on their mini-vans.

I have been going to OBX for about 13 years now, almost every year.

Places to eat:

Mako Mikes ( only place that serves shark) ( also have a great crab leg special)

Blue Point ( great spot for lunch on the sound side, fish tacos are the best)

Red sky café

Duck deli is a must for lunch. I would go before or after 12 as its a big tourist spot.

Black pelican ( great date night, a little more costly but the seafood is great. Try the choc cake, its plenty big to split)

Duck doughnuts are great, its like a chipotle for doughnuts. You go in, they make your doughnuts in front of you and you get to choose your toppings.

Shopping is plentiful, there are some cool shops in the northern part near duck. Theres a small little winery owned by an Italian man. He has the best cannoli's I have ever tried. I cant think of the shop off the top of my head.

If you plan on doing any pier fishing check out the avon pier. It is the largest. Get there early as the end of the pier gets busy around 7-8pm.

There are a few local bars but not many, fish bones is a cool spot as is barefoot Bernie and lucky 12 tavern.

Take a trip down to cape hateras and climb the light house. Its a cool experience and a great drive through very remote areas along the island.

Most people don't take the time to explore, you can find a lot of hidden gems.

if you come back with a obx sticker on your back windshield I will kick you in the nuts.. just saying

I have one, like I said its been my families vacation spot for a long time. My grandfather went there for 20 some odd years every year.

Nice list. I need to try that donut shop.

Theres a lot more I can suggest, those are just a few of my top spots. There's some cool spots along the southern part of the island around avon its a day trip though and suggest planning some kind of destination spot to see for the day.

How often do you travel there?

Theres a lot more I can suggest, those are just a few of my top spots. There's some cool spots along the southern part of the island around avon its a day trip though and suggest planning some kind of destination spot to see for the day.

How often do you travel there?

once a year. different house/area each time. this year we are quite a ways south of Duck. I am open to driving around since we will have a GT500 vert there.

Steam Pots to go is an awesome way to get some seafood. http://steamerstogo.com/menu/steamer-pots/ Its in corolla near the offroad beach and they also have some of the biggest and best shrimp I've ever had.

This year my family is going with my parents, my brother and his kids, we're staying in Kill Devil Hills. When its just my family we stay at the offroad beach up north. We always drive NC 12 as far as it can go, from the offroad beach on the VA boarder down to Cape Hatteras. Some of my family have been on Ocrakoke, I myself have not yet, but might do the ferry ride this year.

Brian, the point is to do nothing. Beach day and night. Drink/swim/fish/frisbee/fly a kite on the beach during the day, fire and more drinks on the beach at night. Then get drunk and chase the crabs. I had a blast! Also, there was one 4x4 beach we visited and fished. Was a nice relaxing trip.