Ford EcoBoost Engine Problems

Sully

I no longer work for Ford, so this opinion is no longer biased.

I could write a book about Ford's fuck ups and short comings. The 3.5 ecoboost however I feel is quite the opposite. I have sold literally hundreds of these trucks to people. A great deal of them being close friends. (Who don't have a problem letting me know when an issue arises)

The ONLY issue I have seen out of the hundred of trucks were 4 instances. 3 of which were simple ECU reprograms when the engine FIRST came out. The last problem was when a guy "didn't like" his front plate being off to the side. He (on his own) put the plate bracket in the middle of the bumper blocking off all air supply to the intercooler.

I feel so strongly about the quality of the the 3.5 ecoboost, that my next family ride is going to be a crew cab ecoboost fx4 with the appearance package. Slightly preowned ;) though.

Give me a make or model, and I'll find you "problems" with the platform on the Internet.

Don't get me wrong, some platforms suck... But people need to keep in mind to do some of their own due diligence and not take an Internet article as "the gospel"

14k miles on my 12 f150 ecoboost and zero issues. I'm a mod over on f150forum and seen just about every thread, complaint, yadda yadda about it. Sure, few folks have had an issue but numbers wise, it's by far the minority, like easily under one percent. With just how popular the engine is and how many sold, I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been more problems crop up.

If it only happens in humid or damp conditions, then it sounds like the same issue GM had on the 2.0L Ecotec Turbo shortly after launch. Condensation could build up in the intercooler and under hard acceleration it could get sucked through the intake, causing the vehicle to stumble.

it looked good on paper......

Still does when you look at the numbers sold and the number of complaints filed.

Fuck, my MS3 had a windshield cowl that was loose and rattle for the first few thousand miles until I figured it out. I knew I should have filed suit against the Japs for causing me to lose sleep over the whole thing all those weeks.

You know, I don't like the blue background on CR Either. Going to see my attorney in the morning.....

I need one of the four door versions. I've always wanted to get bigger tires and a small lift on the truck. I'm thinking next winter, so ill see how this plays out

A 4 door Raptor in your future?

In another story, it seems Diamler has a hard-on for the new Ford turbo 3cylinder engine and wants to start using it. One of the MB engineers was even quoted, for what I took from it, complimenting the engine's development.

I've only read horror stories about the Ecoboost motors in the ford trucks. Like said before, it looked great on paper, but what I'm reading about and seeing how Ford is handling the situation is pretty concerning.

Weren't these the motors that were frozen and taken to hot then back to frozen on a dyno, then put in a truck and driven to WA to pull logs, then driven to FL pulled another truck around Daytona for 24 hrs, then driven to AZ to out drag pull Ram and Silverado, then pulled the motor and put it in one of the turrible Baja trucks and it won the Baja 1000 in it's class, then back to Detroit where I saw it disassembled and everything looks new?

That seems far from paper to me. 95 trucks out of 200,000 are bound to have an error somewhere.

Weren't these the motors that were frozen and taken to hot then back to frozen on a dyno, then put in a truck and driven to WA to pull logs, then driven to FL pulled another truck around Daytona for 24 hrs, then driven to AZ to out drag pull Ram and Silverado, then pulled the motor and put it in one of the turrible Baja trucks and it won the Baja 1000 in it's class, then back to Detroit where I saw it disassembled and everything looks new?

That seems far from paper to me. 95 trucks out of 200,000 are bound to have an error somewhere.

Yes, I saw this on tv, I have only been impressed with these engines since I saw that.

I'm reading about and seeing how Ford is handling the situation is pretty concerning.

Ford has to figure out if they need to pay for a ton of research into finding a defect in the motor, or whether or not there's just a handful of errors between the seat and steering wheel in these units. In MOST cases, it's the latter situation.

Ford has to figure out if they need to pay for a ton of research into finding a defect in the motor, or whether or not there's just a handful of errors between the seat and steering wheel in these units. In MOST cases, it's the latter situation.

Well, there quite a few people are having similar problems with them blowing up with very little miles if you do a quick google search. Seems to be a hot topic on the F150 forums, so I understand.

Definitely his fault(sarcasm)

http://www.f150forum.com/f70/first-time-my-eco-blew-up-208912/

Yes.

Dads 2013 F150 has already pulled my truck with no prob and so far has been phenomenal. Plus, he bought it at Nourse in Chillicothe where the owner paid out of pocket for this warranty (in order to compete with Hyundai and similar warranties since the Honda, Toyota, and Ford/Lincoln factory warranties wouldn't). Regardless of how you personally feel about the Ecoboost and whether or not ~0.000475% of buyers having problems seems ludicrous to you that's a stellar warranty that I don't think any dealership or factory rivals.

http://pictures.dealer.com/n/noursechillicotheautomalloh/0751/25d67cfd0a0d028a01423820339b3ae0.jpg

I've only read horror stories about the Ecoboost motors in the ford trucks. Like said before, it looked great on paper, but what I'm reading about and seeing how Ford is handling the situation is pretty concerning.

It's a tsb. Bring it back to ford and they fix it. Seems like ford is handling it fine. Intercooler change and re flash of ecu and everythings cosher.