School Says Deaf Boy's Name Sign Looks Too Much Like A Gun

Otis Nice

Article

Cliffs:

You can’t make this stuff up. The good news: 3-year-old Hunter Spanjer, who is deaf, knows how to sign his name. The bad news: His school says his hand sign looks too much like a gun and has asked him to change it.

The school, in Grand Island, Nebraska, is forcing Hunter to change the way he signs his name, because they say his gestures violate their weapons policy. Lunacy reigns supreme, America.

Hunter’s personalized name sign is a registered sign with Signing Exact English – a modified form of American Sign Language – and involves extended index fingers that the district says resembles a gun. “We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child,” said Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson. Really, Jack? I have a suggestion: Take your heads out of your butts and allow him to use the registered sign for his name. Problem solved.

As reported by 1011now.com, Grand Island’s “Weapons in Schools” Board Policy 8470 forbids “any instrument…that looks like a weapon.”

http://d1ovi2g6vebctw.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/article-2194833-14B9B0B7000005DC-495_636x383.jpg

I'm glad.

I think it's becoming ridiculous when schools are focusing on minor issues such as name signs. It's just a name sign and nothing more than that. It is our distinct identity. Often, many Deaf people will forget the actual name itself but they never forget the name sign so when the name sign is brought up, everyone knows right away who they are talking about.

"cant say bomb on a airplane" first thing that came to mind. i not that dang old. when i was elementry i remember running around on the playground playing soldier or cops and robber type games. i cant imagine how that would go over now.

notice they keep saying that they aren't trying to change his name, but that they use the ASL form of sign language. They are trying to get him to use a different "language" for his name. aka the ASL sign for his name instead of the current Exact English

notice they keep saying that they aren't trying to change his name, but that they use the ASL form of sign language. They are trying to get him to use a different "language" for his name. aka the ASL sign for his name instead of the current Exact English

What does that change? Tell an immigrant to speak Engrish or GTFO and you're deemed "racist" and "intolerable of other cultures". Same applies.

i'm not agreeing with what they are doing. I'm just saying that that is their little loophole they are trying to use.

AKA, they are still doing the exact same thing. They say they aren't trying to change his name, True, but they are asking him to use another sign(language). which is still complete BS.