Need Waterheater repair/service?

thorne

My water heater is leaking / sweating , The only reason i say sweating is because it did this last summer and then when winter hit it just stopped. Anyone on CR know a plumber who won't rape me or have suggestions?

Thanks

You mean to tell me you can't replace a water heater? I just replaced my parents when it started leaking. You simply buy the correct water heater, Lowe's even has install kits. Cut some pipes, remove, set in place, and connect up some pipes, turn on water and check for leaks. Don't be scared.

If you want to impress people you should do more then smack a keyboard. Do you want some help? Serious.

I've never tried to replace a water heater and since mine is gas I've got concerns of blowing myself up. I talked to by buddy doug and he said he's done it a few times and its easy. So I'm going to have him do it .

Honestly I'm not the most addept person with a wrench and typically end up paying people to do all my wrench work on my cars and shit. Meh :\ I guesse I'm just lucky to have a job that affords me this luxury.

Looks like a brand new replacement is going to run me about 400$.

BTW if it was electric I'd be more likely to attempt it myself. Gas scares me.

I've never tried to replace a water heater and since mine is gas I've got concerns of blowing myself up. I talked to by buddy doug and he said he's done it a few times and its easy. So I'm going to have him do it .

Honestly I'm not the most addept person with a wrench and typically end up paying people to do all my wrench work on my cars and shit. Meh :\ I guesse I'm just lucky to have a job that affords me this luxury.

Looks like a brand new replacement is going to run me about 400$.

BTW if it was electric I'd be more likely to attempt it myself. Gas scares me.

nothing wrong with knowing your limitations....aways better than blowing your house up. That being said it's a pretty straight forward job and things like shark bite fittings have made life much easier when dealing with copper pipes. I did mine a couple years ago. Like you the gas line was where I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing but it ended up being no big deal. I doped the fitting and after it had sat up I used soapy water to look for bubbles. Must've done ok because my house hasn't blown up yet and we've been getting hot water out of it.

I am with you. I had a water heater go out just before we had family over for thanksgiving. I didn't want to mess with it. Its a tight spot, it was full of hard water deposits and probably weighed 300lbs, and required a gas connection. If you make a bad move and have a gas leak and a resulting 'thermal incident' good luck on getting any insurance coverage.

I bought my water heater at Lowe's also had them install it. It was very reasonably priced, and a certified plumber did the work. Truth be told it has a 1 yr warranty (everything) So if they have to come back to do work its on them. Which was great because my new one kept popping off the relief valve, turns out it needed an expansion tank.

I usually do all my own work, but this wasn't worth messing with.