Composite Decking

Buck531

I'm sure someone here has experience with composite decking. I need to replace the deck boards in the back. I'm leaving the posts and framing but just replacing the decking. I know it's a little more expensive but can anyone give any hints/tips? Should I get them at Lowes or Home Depot?

I think I'm going this direction when I replact the dock on the pond.

As for Lowe's or HD; Lowes people are a lot nicers to work with and willing to help on a project. HD, not so helpfull. But, if you know what you need and how to do it, I tend to HD. Pricing has been pretty even between the 2 stores, as I just did a home renivation and spent a bit in each store.

Just check who has better pricing or wait for a holiday sale. You need to use special fasteners etc I think than normal wood screws for a deck. We have one and its very nice and you can choose the color you want.

Just check who has better pricing or wait for a holiday sale. You need to use special fasteners etc I think than normal wood screws for a deck. We have one and its very nice and you can choose the color you want.

How do they fasten to the trusses on the bottom? Just curious. Do these clips just screw into the trusses and then snap the decking in?

Keep in mind that with composite you should also count in using the recommended hardware and be prepared to predrill your material. Other than that it comes down to price. You want to get as close to a solid core material as you can afford as the sun will fade the color over time and you want the material to be as solid a color in the middle as it is on the outside. Again this usually comes down to the price you want to spend. Cheap composite has cheap filler material used in its core with more expensive colored resin on the outside. Once the outside fades or wears your stuck looking at the cheap filler which is not colored.

I've been working for a composite manufacturer for ~10 years (TimberTech, formerly a Crane Plastics company), let me know what you are looking for and I can give you the pros/cons. As noted above, many of the cheaper brands have many performance issues that will show up in 3-5 years after installation.

Lowe's is currently offering their own brand "Style Selections". This material is actually made by TimberTech where I work. It is a capped composite that offers much better weathering than traditional composites and carries a fade and stain warranty.It's actually a great bang for the buck product. The closest comparitive product is TimberTech Terrain.

Mojoe, a dock can create a few issues that a standard deck won't incur but there are several products that will still work well.

Give me any questions that you may have and I'll do my best to provide answers.

Do they make a thick version? whoever made my deck used 2x8's for the decking so they could skimp on the cross bracing and sadly I can't use typical deck planks since they are too thin and flex too much.

Ironically, I was told that to modify the deck by adding cross bracing I'd have to get it approved and permitted but replacing just the deck surface was ok......

Yes, TimberTech makes a product called DockSider that can span 24" on-center, it is 1-1/4" thick solid profile. Honestly though, it is much higher priced due to the amount of material required for the thickness, you would be better off to add the framing since you are likely at 24"o.c. Adding framing to 12" o.c. would be a fort of a deck and you could resurface it with anything.

Many areas only require a permit for a full reframe or expansion.

Yes, TimberTech makes a product called DockSider that can span 24" on-center, it is 1-1/4" thick solid profile. Honestly though, it is much higher priced due to the amount of material required for the thickness, you would be better off to add the framing since you are likely at 24"o.c. Adding framing to 12" o.c. would be a fort of a deck and you could resurface it with anything.

Timbertech finally figured it out. The first stuff they were putting out faded bad in less than a year. Dad has worked at crane for over 30 years and we installed Timbertech on his deck when the line first came out. Luckily the new deck seems to be holding up to fading and wear.

Lowe's carries Trex and ChoiceDek, which changed their formula about a year or two ago to help fix the color fade issues. Depot and Lowe's in-stock selection kind of sucks but they can order basically anything you want as far as product lines, colors, railings/posts/accessories/etc. If you want to special order anything go to Lowe's, depending on how much you order we can definitely save you a few bucks. I haven't ordered ChoiceDek lately, but Trex will usually have any special order decking sent to the store in a week or less.

I've been working for a composite manufacturer for ~10 years (TimberTech, formerly a Crane Plastics company), let me know what you are looking for and I can give you the pros/cons. As noted above, many of the cheaper brands have many performance issues that will show up in 3-5 years after installation.

Lowe's is currently offering their own brand "Style Selections". This material is actually made by TimberTech where I work. It is a capped composite that offers much better weathering than traditional composites and carries a fade and stain warranty.It's actually a great bang for the buck product. The closest comparitive product is TimberTech Terrain.

^^^ Or talk to this guy. He knows his stuff

How do they fasten to the trusses on the bottom? Just curious. Do these clips just screw into the trusses and then snap the decking in?

I have worked with 2 types of fasteners.

1. attaches to the framing underneath the board and to the side of the board in a little grove. This way looks tons better, but the little clips can be a pain.

2. just drill a hole and screw it in normally and then with the material that is pushed up you squeeze t together and tap it down with a flat head hammer. This way is easier but damn does it start to hurt your fingers and you will see little holes where each screw is.

I have worked with 2 types of fasteners.

1. attaches to the framing underneath the board and to the side of the board in a little grove. This way looks tons better, but the little clips can be a pain.

2. just drill a hole and screw it in normally and then with the material that is pushed up you squeeze t together and tap it down with a flat head hammer. This way is easier but damn does it start to hurt your fingers and you will see little holes where each screw is.

Most of the quality hidden fasteners are stainless and run about $1/sq ft on average. Some of the hidden fasteners like Tiger Claw and TimberTech Concealoc can be installed with a pneumatic gun cutting the install time by around 50-60%. Most pro lumber yards will rent or loan the gun out with the purchase of the fasteners. The Trex Universal hidden fastener sold through Lowe's works well but as stated, can be a bit of a pita to install until you get familiar with them.

A quality composite deck screw for face fastening will be about half the price of hidden fasteners.

The use of a quality deck screw designed for composites will eliminate the mushroom effect around the screw when properly installed and they come color matched so they can actually blend into the deck surface. Titan Split Stop is one of the better screws currently on the market.

Here, any work below deck surface requires an inspection and permitting. Plus anything has to be updated to current code. No thanks. I may as well rip the deck off and build a new one.