Car Transport Recommendations?

Tripleskate

I know I have talked to a few members of CR about this, the time has come, and I just accepted an offer for a new job in Southern California. Fortunately, my employer is sympathetic to me having to move myself across the country, and is giving me a good amount of time to figure everything out.

My line of thought is to load the car with as much stuff as I can (clothes, essentials, whatnot), and have it transported across the country, then fly out and pick it up. I don't know a lot about moving something big like a car, but I know that I want to keep it protected from the elements, so the paintwork stays in great shape, and more generally, so the car doesn't get damaged in any way in transit. I am obviously a bit leery of entrusting my car to strangers unsupervised for any period of time, so a reputable, knowledgeable group who deals with cars specifically would probably be a good idea...

My question is this, can anyone recommend a good, safe group to transport my car out there? Are there any unknown, or additional factors that you all can shed some light on?

Keep in mind that the best auto transport companies charge more than the discount ones. I can get you the names and contact info for some top companies that the high-line folks at MAG use for Astons/Rolls/Lambo, but they come at a big markup over what the average enclosed transport vendors will charge you.

Why not consider driving the car cross-country and shipping the clothes and household stuff? Take a week or two and see the sights along the way?

Here is a company that does high end cars with good results. You will see these guys every once in awhile in Columbus. They are expense though.

http://www.reliablecarriers.com/

Or, you could call Eddie at Tropical Auto Carriers (1-800-515-5690) or Eddie's cell (954-501-5508) and tell him you were a referral from Jon Wood.

Keep in mind that the best auto transport companies charge more than the discount ones. I can get you the names and contact info for some top companies that the high-line folks at MAG use for Astons/Rolls/Lambo, but they come at a big markup over what the average enclosed transport vendors will charge you.

Why not consider driving the car cross-country and shipping the clothes and household stuff? Take a week or two and see the sights along the way?

Already did the whole cross-country journey in 2011 in my old car, took a week and 3000+ miles to get from Columbus to San Diego. I would prefer to keep the miles off of my car if possible.

What about just renting a U-haul and a trailer and transport it yourself. That way, you can carefully wrap the car and know that it's properly secured/cared for.

Yup.

That's how I just got me new DSM back to TX this weekend. Towed it on a uhaul auto transport.

(Ecoboost handled in like a BAUCE through the ozarks.)