Shop Recommendations?

Dragu1a

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say IPS. There was a mistake when I ordered my coilovers. They took care of the situation and in the end, made everything right. Next time I have a big service out of warranty or performance I will bring it to them.

Moral of the story, awesome shops can make a mistake. If they are good, they will take care of the customer. Do not judge a shop on one instance.

You guys want to know about this idiot? Looks like a fucking pro doesn't he?

who are the people in the background? I thought it was just him who worked at his shop? Is that the customer who asked him to do that? I've dealt with Rob many times and he knows more about cars than anyone I've ever met... like he knows stupid shit about cars, like specific models that had trim pieces in special places, etc....

My point is, maybe the customer asked him to do that and we don't know the whole story.... just saying... he's never done me wrong.

surprised with how big of a city columbus is, that there's not one big, nationally known, mustang-specific shop.

op, you have to pay-to-play. most shops can complete work for you, and satisfy the customer 95% of the time. its the 5% of the time when things go wrong, that we worry about. pick the shop that has the best record of taking care of that 5%, and consider the small extra that you pay in labor as 'insurance'.

You guys want to know about this idiot? Looks like a fucking pro doesn't he?

Guy is an idiot. Have heard MULTIPLE horror stories about him. Let's not forget about the car he burned nearly to the ground a few weeks ago.

Are you really that dense?

who are the people in the background? I thought it was just him who worked at his shop? Is that the customer who asked him to do that? I've dealt with Rob many times and he knows more about cars than anyone I've ever met... like he knows stupid shit about cars, like specific models that had trim pieces in special places, etc....

My point is, maybe the customer asked him to do that and we don't know the whole story.... just saying... he's never done me wrong.

Is the OP about Rob? I've personally never had a problem with him myself. Though just had exhaust work from him.

When I was having my other problems and such, I went to IPS. They took good care of me and got everything working great. Only downside to them is as they are such a big shop, can take a while for your car to get done. But it will get done right, plus they warranty their work.

Are you really that dense?

no I'm not dense in any fashion... I normally always think the worst in people (we'll call it part of my charming personality), but I also think there's 3 sides to a story...

I know Rob personally and I think his knowledge on cars is 2nd to none... I'm not arguing that in that video, there's really no excuse to how he treated that car, but there was obviously other people present... I don't recall ever being at his shop when anyone else was working there other than a chick running the front desk and it was clearly a male running the camera. Do we know if the owner of the car was the one running the video or if he was asked to do that? That is my question.

I've dealt with Rob many times and he knows more about cars than anyone I've ever met... like he knows stupid shit about cars, like specific models that had trim pieces in special places, etc....

I really like Rob and he's done a lot of stuff for me on the cobra without charging me an arm and a leg.

This thread was made shortly after that car caught on fire and it made me paranoid...

I remember when Ips was talked about in this manner by some of the same people in here. In fact they bashed Ips to rob!! Yes I was there

I'm not sayin Ips sux or rob sux or anyone is great. Just saying that opinions and shops do change with some people. It's a character flaw with them.

please elaborate.... I am genuinely interested.

Header bolts not even finger tight, exhaust clamps not finger tight, did not remove AIR pump when hearers swapped as I requested, put nuts on torque converter bolts, stuck screws in vacuum lines rather than using $.05 block off caps, damage to PCV system, exhaust not put back on correctly so he used a piece of rubber to keep it from hitting on the car.

That is just the stuff that has been found so far, some of which had to be addressed by a professional shop.

There are plenty of examples out there and a lot of people choose to not say anything because they don't want to deal with the drama.

But I also agree 100% that all shops have issues, it's how they deal with them that separates the bad from the good.

I worked in his shop with him for a very short time, and while he has a good amount of car knowlege he likes to cut corners. Lots of technicians like to cut corners, but some of the things I helped fix on Wagner's car is just plain laziness. I really liked Rob until he stabbed me in the back by just being an asshole. I'll openly admit that he has lots of knowlege, but he never executed it well. Then he has consistantly shit on people who thought him a friend. I could look past the rules and morals he doesn't care about, but he doesn't care about anyone, and for as much loyalty he used to have on this site he'd throw anyone under the bus for no reason other then his stupid sense of entertainment.

I can't speak on taking my car to anyone for service, obviously I've never had to, but if you want quality work finding somebody to trust is incredibly hard. Once you do find someone you feel is worth a try, your approach should still be very leary. I would discuss in great detail what you want and what you expect the out come to be from you project of repair. The technician should show some interest in your vehicle, because if there is no passion at all he won't care about the outcome past getting your parts installed. A good technician will look past hanging some parts on your car and want to be sure everything will function properly and for a long time after the work is performed. If they look at the job in that manner those little things that make all the difference will get done, and you will have a great experience. As a technician I have really tried to see the car I'm working on from the owner's perspective. This person is at my mercy for his safety, and needs me to be at the top of my game whether it's an oil change or a major engine repair. The major issue here is finding someone who cares, 4-5 years ago I didn't think like this and I wouldn't let my 25 year old self work on my car, then there are just the people who are either lazy or just want to make money at other's expense. Considering how the lazy typically get done faster by skipping steps, and the money grubbers charge too much for the time involved most people's first impression is how great they are because your car is fixed and was done quickly. My service manager is usually annoyed by the fact that whatever I'm working on gets done whenever it gets done, because while I'd make more money getting it done fast, I can let the car go knowing everything is right. Even if you have a great technician if the service manager can rush the tech things will get missed and screwed up. So now that I'm done rambling keep in mind that getting good service on your car starts with your clear communication, then finding a good capable technician, and having all that in a good environment where things can get done properly.

All I have to say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must truly be brainwashed.

Once you do find someone you feel is worth a try, your approach should still be very leary. I would discuss in great detail what you want and what you expect the out come to be from you project of repair. The technician should show some interest in your vehicle, because if there is no passion at all he won't care about the outcome past getting your parts installed

This cant be any more dead on. Ive used two diff people that used to be on here that are no longer on the site, but one of them was an awesome tech and was a friend. As far as Rob ive never had a problem with him personally, but i have had problems with my car at his shop. Ive talked to him about what was done incorrectly on my car, and all he said was "Someone else was working with me at the time, so i didnt do it". I had already had the problem fixed by the other mechanic on here, but who hires people to there shop and doesnt make sure the work THEY are doing and letting the cars OUT OF THERE SHOP back to the CUSTOMER without making sure its 100%. I dont want to go into detail about what was done, but it is something that anyone with any knowledge about cars should not do. The other person who is no longer with us (Will) was an AWESOME mechanic when he was around. When he was working on my car he would go over everything with me in GREAT detail, talk about different things we could do, and just showed interest in my car. The work he did was always 100% and he never dissapointed me. I always liked how even though my 20 year old car wasnt like his Supercharged Nitrous Nova, or any of his others cars, but he always showed that he cared about my car and that was a lot for me. Too bad things in his life had to change and hes no longer on here, or a person most people would want to talk too or deal with.

Anyways i just had to add my .02$, but its hard to find a mechanic you can trust, but once you do you should stay with them (Least how i look at it). Id rather have one shop / person working on my car over and over so they know it and know what theyve done and how theyve done it rather than going to 3 diff places for 3 diff things.

EDIT: Ive actually had 3 people on this site work on my cars, the third being Alex L. There isnt a single bad word I can say about Alex or the work he did to my car. Hes a top notch guy and does top notch work. Just be nice if his shop wasn't so far from my place. If i needed work done on my car i would either take it to Alex, Dozzer (Who ive yet taken my car too but have heard nothing but GREAT things about him and his work), or IPS / PPC / Moorespeed.

Let's not forget about the car he burned nearly to the ground a few weeks ago.

This thread was made shortly after that car caught on fire and it made me paranoid...

If anyone minds telling, what kinda car was it? Was it a members on here?