Sleepers

SilverAudiMike

Is the Sentra a joke? http://autos.yahoo.com/news/hidden-gems-5-killer-sleeper-cars-190043214.html

"offering 140 hp at 6400 rpm, and accelerating to 60 mph in 7.6 seconds"

"1991 to 1994"

Back then when most economy cars were lucky to break the 100hp barrier, it handled well and was fun/sporty high revving little car.

I don't recall, but they also had a factory LSD as standard....pretty cool specs for early 90's IMO.

This. The Civic Si when this thing came out was 106 hp, with no torque and no limited slip. The SE-R crushed it in every respect except handling. Remember also that this 140 hp was at a time when the 5.0 fox body was making 200.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it a sleeper, but it's an under-appreciated car for sure. Nissan built a true enthusiast car and nobody wanted it.

If not that car, then the spirit r/t should have been on there.

Outside of the ford ltd and fairmont, what other RWD ugly 80's semi-lightweight cars were there that would be good sleepers?

Edited by 10phone2

If not that car, then the spirit r/t should have been on there.

Outside of the ford ltd and fairmont, what other RWD ugly 80's semi-lightweight cars were there that would good sleepers?

G-bodies

Thunderbird

Conquest/Starion

XR4Ti

I vote the Thunderbird Turbo coupe. That digital dash is pure class.

90's Galant VR4 should have been on the list.

This. A couple others that come to mind by Olds (although fwd) are the Cutlass Calais 442 W41 and the Achieva SCX. Both were surprising considering they looked like a car you would cruise old folks homes in.

Most N54-powered cars. Seems like no one has any clue why they get freight-trained by a family sedan. Same goes for the Audi S4 with the 2.7tt, and the current S/C V6.

I'm a huge fan of B5 and B8 S4s but I wouldn't call them sleepers. BMW and Audi don't scream "I'm slow". Ultimate driving machine, right?

This. A couple others that come to mind by Olds (although fwd) are the Cutlass Calais 442 W41 and the Achieva SCX. Both were surprising considering they looked like a car you would cruise old folks homes in.

yeah but the real sleeper was the 1985-1896 Grand Am with even just a 150hp quad 4 in it. up until the head gasket blew.