Accident at 161/270 on North East side

Aaron

from 10tv.com:

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A fatal car fire in northeast Columbus shut down the ramp at Little Turtle Way to state Route 161 westbound Monday morning.

The fire happened shortly before 4:30 a.m.

The Accident Investigation Squad confirmed that the fire and accident was caused by a wrong-way driver.

The Columbus Fire Department said one person died at the scene.

S.R. 161 and the ramp to Little Turtle way were shut down while officials investigated the accident.

S.R. 161 westbound reopened around 6:15 AM.

The ramp reopened around 6:30 AM.

Stay with 10TV and refresh 10TV.com for updates on this story.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/06/24/columbus-fatal-car-fire-161-at-little-turtle-way.html

I'm assuming this is the reason for the slow traffic this morning on my way to work. I did see a black 4dr that looked totalled in the front, with a sheet covering the cabin like in the video in the link.

Only saw that car, maybe it hit the wall there, and caught fire...

Sad.

Crazy. Was headed to Derek's Tire Discounters heading south on 270 saw a car or something on full fire above me on a bridge around... shit, may've been near 670 but I forget what exit/overpass exactly. I have seen more car fires... Hell, watched 3 of them stop and burn to the ground right in front of my work in College Station. May've been 4. Seriously, don't know what it was about people catching fire and stopping in front of our work.

Hmm, a guido's Camaro caught fire after trying to race me in New York on the highway. Seen one during the riots. Plus a few more at other times throughout my life, as well. Shit, more than I can remember offhand. I could actually make a pretty good list. Seems like an awful lot of car fires for one person to see now that I think about it. haha

I'll say it again....they need to institute one-way spikes on exit ramps..Emergency vehicles or whatever that's allowed to go the wrong way have some beacon in the car that warns them to go around.

I'll say it again....they need to institute one-way spikes on exit ramps..Emergency vehicles or whatever that's allowed to go the wrong way have some beacon in the car that warns them to go around.

it's a very common suggestion but the problems with them are many.

Cold Climates/Ice

Public awareness

General design is for way low speeds

Maintenance, etc.

That intersection where they came from is a little confusing (Sunbury Rd and 161). I see how a person can make a mistake and go the wrong way.

Not likely something that can be rolled out to every ramp cost effectively but in instances like this where an accident has occurred and / or it is a tricky area, then perhaps they install some type of motion / lane sensors that pick up the movement of a vehicle going the wrong way and in turn that would trigger a very visible warning indicator or sign of some sort.

That intersection where they came from is a little confusing (Sunbury Rd and 161). I see how a person can make a mistake and go the wrong way.

If that's where they were coming from then I kind of agree. With nobody on the road at that time of day it could be even more confusing because there aren't any other cars to go with the flow.