help me build a 4v

Ryan218

alright so im going to build a 4v motor to put in my 2000 gt.

im going to start off with a 97 or 98 mark 8 motor.

I plan on using a set of 03/04 cobra heads I have got and ive decied I want to do... even it it cost me more in the end is a ported 03/04 eaton setup.

for the bottem end here is my hanging up point. a cobra roating assembly is always a possibility and after browsing ebay looks like I can pick up one for around 700 minus crank. after doing some digging ive found that the new 5.0 coyote rods will work and they are 40 grams lighter per rod. that's shaving almost 3/4 a pound of the roating mass and are just as strong ( per what internet says. and I can pick up a new set for 300 bucks. for pistons what is my best bet. is there a factory ford forged pistion out there other then the 03/04 cobra's ( ive checked through work can no longer get them or I would just go this route. )

im sure everyone is just going to say buy a 03/04 motor and I would but id rather build one. never built a 4v from the ground up plus this block will be stronger. I want 500-550 at the wheels is my goal as this will make it a more them what I need for what I really plan on using the car for but more fun at the same time. not in a huge hurry to have the motor built as car is getting put away in 2 months to be stripped and re painted then ill put the new motor in.

so cliff notes- what pistions and crank do I use? would like this to be a 100% ford motor build without ordering aftermarket parts unless there needed.

So you are going to spend all this money on a rebuild, but you aren't going to get the walls at least finish honed?

your right. probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a machine shop tank the block and just do it right the first time. save money in the end.

ok new plan. im going to use coyote rods, a 03/04 crank if I can find one and for pistons I just need something similar to the 03/04 cobra as I don't plan to use anything other then stock cams.

your right. probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a machine shop tank the block and just do it right the first time. save money in the end.

ok new plan. im going to use coyote rods, a 03/04 crank if I can find one and for pistons I just need something similar to the 03/04 cobra as I don't plan to use anything other then stock cams.

Sounds like a recipe for building your first motor and having some one fix it when it spins a bearing. I'll be the first to admit I've never built a bottom end, but I would think a machine shop should be an integral component of a successful first engine build. As stated, you want the cobra crank and rods. Get a good set of 20-over pistons and get the block machined.

Sounds like a recipe for building your first motor and having some one fix it when it spins a bearing. I'll be the first to admit I've never built a bottom end, but I would think a machine shop should be an integral component of a successful first engine build. As stated, you want the cobra crank and rods. Get a good set of 20-over pistons and get the block machined.

is there a company I can call to cross reference the cobra piston part number and get a similar piston this way?

also why do the 03/04 cobras show a grade 2 and grade 3 on there pistions. what the difference?

ive built a few push rod motors just never a 4v mod motor. ill have a buddy help me with the heads and assembly of that and timing chains as it looks massively intimidating to me lol.