State Troopers searching cars on I-70E

El Karacho1647545492

Twice this morning since 9am I've watched a squad of marked and unmarked OSHP pull over cars and search them. No traffic stops, no speed trap, just pulled over a beat to shit old Cavalier and a Caliber and tear everything out of them. Both times it looks like people moving or possibly on road trips: house fans, coolers, luggage, tarps/rugs and bags that look like they could be tents. First car was released, they're not done with the 2nd. I'll see if I can snap a picture here in a minute.

Either way, if you're camping or your car is loaded up, it would appear that they're targeting those types of vehicles so be safe!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: they let the dude out of the back of the police cruiser, and (surprisingly) helped him load up all his shit back into his car. goes to show just how accurate "criminal indicators" are. glad to see our tax dollars hard at work inconveniencing weekend campers.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/caxide/i70search.jpg

EDIT: both the Avenger and the Fusion in that picture (far right and far left respectively) are undercover troppers; both were wearing plainclothes as well.

They must have had some legit reason to pull that person over, you cant just randomly pick people out of a crowd and search there vehicle. It does seem weird but I have to believe that they have a legit and legal reason for what they are doing.

I hope

They must have had some legit reason to pull that person over, you cant just randomly pick people out of a crowd and search there vehicle. It does seem weird but I have to believe that they have a legit and legal reason for what they are doing.

I hope

Yeah I wish it was but 2 for 2 on cars getting strip searched only to be released half an hour later. Both of them loaded up with camping type gear; imagine that, there are plenty of innocent drivers who do outdoorsy stuff in the middle of July!

What's bothersome is the number of troopers obviously in the area waiting to lend assistance. They probably have some intel on drug runners in the area using i70 but come on, you cant just say anyone with camping gear "fits the description".

Yeah I wish it was but 2 for 2 on cars getting strip searched only to be released half an hour later. Both of them loaded up with camping type gear; imagine that, there are plenty of innocent drivers who do outdoorsy stuff in the middle of July!

What's bothersome is the number of troopers obviously in the area waiting to lend assistance. They probably have some intel on drug runners in the area using i70 but come on, you cant just say anyone with camping gear "fits the description".

I've got to admit that's super strange.

They had a VW Bus that was loaded up with gear stopped next to th Speedway at Tussing and 256 all torn apart yesterday. A PPD officer I chat with from time to time mentioned they were looking for "someone" running massive amounts of drugs on 70 then making drops in Pickerington on the way to 33 SE

People don't realize it, but Pickerington is a massive hub for Heroin and pills because of 70 and 33 running right through it.

That is awesome but does not warrant searches of random people. Maybe they should spend their time gathering leads some other way.

I understand you are just trying to do your job but I do not consent to a warrantless search of my vehicle or my person. Am I being detained or may I be on my way?

In Ohio refusal to a search is probable cause. How's that for bullshit? The officer either MUST tell you you're free to go and THEN ask to search your vehicle, at which point you confirm he said 'free to go', and you just drive away; OR, he already has probable cause at which point he COULD get a warrant or a dog, one of which you can count on.

Christ people complain when cops do their job and complain when they don't. Next time pull up next to them and ask them why they're doing what their doing. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to tell you.

70, 71, 33 are huge drug running routes to the north outta fla and mex. I'm sure they have a valid reason

• Upvote 3

Maybe they were following them for a while? maybe a chopper saw something fishy. Maybe they were getting setup for race wars in mexico? Maybe they saw the driver throw something out of the window. Maybe they had sexual relations with a concrete dildo?

You'll never know.

In Ohio refusal to a search is probable cause. How's that for bullshit? The officer either MUST tell you you're free to go and THEN ask to search your vehicle, at which point you confirm he said 'free to go', and you just drive away; OR, he already has probable cause at which point he COULD get a warrant or a dog, one of which you can count on.

How is exercising your rights to refuse a warrantless search probable cause? That doesn't make sense to me.

Update #2: I just watched a marked crown vic, and an unmarked Fusion and Impala pull over a sketchy rape van. Walked back to my desk to type this, looked up and they were gone. I wonder if they got their guy and he took off...

Not that I agree, but it has become par for the course that "not wanting cops tearing your car apart on the side of the highway" = criminal indicator.

Christ people complain when cops do their job and complain when they don't. Next time pull up next to them and ask them why they're doing what their doing. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to tell you.

70, 71, 33 are huge drug running routes to the north outta fla and mex. I'm sure they have a valid reason

+rep