1.8L turbo VW questions

Chief8one

My roommate just bought a 2000 Passat wagon with the 1.8l turbo motor. It has all sorts of issues. Front end makes noise, check engine lights, damn interior buzzer rings constantly for a solid minute when you start it. She had to pick the car up after her Honda was totaled etc and does not have a lot of funds.

Main questions is .. does anyone here or know anyone that is a shady tree VW mechanic? I know zero about VWs

Thanks in advance

Know what codes it's throwing?

When you say front end noise, do you mean suspension or from the motor?

Drop the oil pan. Replace the pick-up, clean the pan, and hope for the best. Halfway decent motor when maintained. They are known for "sludge" issues.

I don't know the codes yet. I told her to take it to autozone to get it ran. I've read about the sludge issue and I'm going to guess her motor is probably full of it. She went out and bought the car without asking anyone for advice and probably got a big piece of shit.

The front end noise is not motor... it sounds to me possibly wheel bearing. Makes a god awful sound turning left and right. BUT in car I can not determine if its the right or left front.

I like changing both fronts at the same time. Often both are bad but one is louder than the other. Change one, expecting it to be nice and quiet when all you notice is it's just not as loud. That's my experience and personal preference anyways when it comes to wheel bearings.

From someone owning an 01 Passat and 02 Jetta, both with the 1.8t, if she is low on funds and bought that car with those probs, she bought the wrong car. Not trying to be a jerk. They're just fairly high maintenance.

Get on the Ohio VW facebook page. That'd be a good place to start.

Good luck. Sean (Crossle on here) has been a wealth of info on VAG cars and does great work, but if she's having this many issues to begin with she's got an uphill battle ahead of her.

Talk to Sean. Don't waste your time trying to self-diagnose VAG problems.

I don't know the codes yet. I told her to take it to autozone to get it ran. I've read about the sludge issue and I'm going to guess her motor is probably full of it. She went out and bought the car without asking anyone for advice and probably got a big piece of shit.

The front end noise is not motor... it sounds to me possibly wheel bearing. Makes a god awful sound turning left and right. BUT in car I can not determine if its the right or left front.

I haf a similar problem with my a4. Endrd up being cupped tires.

I believe wheel bearings should only growl when the wheel is turned in one direction, then cease growling when turned to the other. Then again, you could have multiple bad wheel bearings bad on both sides.

Sister has already been through 2 on her '02 Jetta, I think it has roughly 95,000 miles...

I guess it's all in how it's maintained.

Bingo.

At first I wasn't taking very good care of mine. I've since gotten rid of the Passat and the Jetta is currently getting an overhaul to make reliable again. Starting off where she is though (and with low funding) she's gonna have a bad time.