Ohio State football: Hyde dismissed from team, sources say

Jackson1647545504

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2013/07/22/0722-carlos-hyde-ohio-state-football.html

Sources told The Dispatch this morning that Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer has dismissed No.1 running back Carlos Hyde, who was named as a person of interest in a weekend assault against a female in a Downtown bar, and that he is still looking into a situation regarding starting cornerback Bradley Roby in Bloomington, Ind., over the weekend.

According to Monroe County court records, Roby was arrested early yesterday morning in Bloomington and is facing preliminary charges of battery resulting in bodily injury. Sources told The Dispatch he was asked to leave a bar after a disturbance, refused, and was subdued by bouncers at the bar before being taken into custody.

Roby, who opted to return for his junior season -- his fourth year in school -- instead of going to the NFL, has been listed on several preseason watch lists for various national awards as well as being projected as an All-American.

Hyde, who came within 30 yards of becoming the first running back to rush for 1,000 or more in the 11-year coaching career of Meyer, had been projected to have a stellar senior season. But he was named a person of interest in an incident that according to the police report occurred about 1:54 a.m. Saturday at the Sugar Bar 2 on S. Front Street.

Meyer has a strict policy regarding violence against women. He immediately dismissed senior Storm Klein from the team last summer when the linebacker was accused of having a physical altercation with a former girlfriend in his apartment. But when Klein later was cleared of the charges he was allowed to return to the team.

Whether that will be the case for Hyde remains to be seen. As of mid-morning, Hyde had yet to be charged. The alleged victim said in the police report she did not know her assailant, but that she could recognize him.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to replace nearly 1000 yards and 17 touchdowns (had one receiving TD). While the depth is there, I am not so sure the expierence is. Rod Smith could very well be an absolute monster, but I haven't seen enough of him to say right now that he or any of the backs are going to be able to replace Hyde. The offense will have to rely on better passing out of Braxton and the receivers and unless Braxton has improved greatly my opinion stands at 10-2. Northwestern and one of either Wisky or Michigan will most likely be the teams to beat them this year. I am still hoping for a 12-0 year, but at this current moment I just don't see it happening. The defense was already young coming into this year, losing Roby for any amount of time hurts even worse.

Apparently OSU is "shocked" by Dispatch report that Hyde is dismissed. Investigators have not even interviewed anyone yet beyond the girl's original police report. Also, Hyde wasnt at the club when police arrived and has not been arrested nor are there any warrants out

Apparently OSU is "shocked" by Dispatch report that Hyde is dismissed. Investigators have not even interviewed anyone yet beyond the girl's original police report. Also, Hyde wasnt at the club when police arrived and has not been arrested nor are there any warrants out

AKA ... OSU got beat in the news cycle and can't spin this

AKA ... OSU got beat in the news cycle and can't spin this

???

Hyde hasn't even been arrested or charged with anything yet. I don't think there is anything to spin right now.

OSU is probably just shocked that the Dispatch went with it. Internet sites and "insiders" posting what's likely to come is one thing, the Dispatch going with it more or less makes it official which is an issue when nothing official has happened yet.