Finished basement found flooded...

nurkvinny

So, the basement we just finished last August is "flooded". No water above carpet, but all carpet is swamped. Happened between noon and now.

Need good advise on what steps to take now to cover my ass, help with insurance shit, yadda, etc.

Ugh.

So, the basement we just finished last August is "flooded". No water above carpet, but all carpet is swamped. Happened between noon and now.

Need good advise on what steps to take now to cover my ass, help with insurance shit, yadda, etc.

Ugh.

sorry to hear that, same thing happened to my neighbor 2 weeks ago during the last storm. do you know how it happened?

sorry to hear that, same thing happened to my neighbor 2 weeks ago during the last storm. do you know how it happened?

Nope. Can't tell where it came from yet.

I would call some place that deals with this type of damage.....

OR....

Remove all carpet

Drill 1" holes in all walls 3" above the floor

Run lots of fans

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Carpet and pad are toast. I'm hoping to salvage boards and bottoms of drywall.

Drill 1" holes in all walls 3" above the floor

Run lots of fans

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Do what?

I see what your talking about now........First thought you were talking about concrete, thought WTF is he talking about.

If you can get water out fast enough and get it drying with fans and dehumidifiers.prob no need for drywall removal, spray all sills with bleach after dry. That's the key though....dry dry dry.

Take pics and document for INS purposes, call claims asap.

Sump pump fail? lose power?

Mine did this 2 years ago. I was able to salvage the carpet. Had to replace the pad. All the trim had to be replaced. I pulled everything out, bleached the concrete floors 5 times and then washed them and let them fan dry. Had to open all the basement windows to get as much air in there as possible. Reinstalled new pad, reused the carpet after it dried, then had it professionally cleaned 2 times. All is fine and never had any issues. Was alot of work but was able to save some money insurance gave us.

Vince, man that sucks and I feel for ya. Damn. I just got a call from my aunt up in Mentor Ohio near the lake. Her nieghbors basement flooded with 6" water due to a sump failure while they were at work during a huge downpour.

Stories like this make me glad we've done all we can in terms of back up sumps, alarms, and extra insurance for both sewage and clean water events.

Good luck.

Call allphase Restore. Tell them Chris from Foust plumbing sent you and they will give you a deal. They take care of everything. Let them atleast come out and tell you what they can do for you and for how much. Call now and they will be out asap. IIt's a 24 hour gig.