Picked up D3000, where to start?

I picked up a D3000 from a buddy who upgraded to the D3200 for it's video capabilities. He misplaced the booklet, but is still trying to find it for me, but I did received an extra battery & remote. This is my first DSLR so any tips on what to do to start out would be greatly appreciated. I've used this and my brother-in-law's D3100 a few times, but not enough to get very familiar with them, so I'm pretty excited to get going with it.

Thanks in advance!

I picked up a D3000 from a buddy who upgraded to the D3200 for it's video capabilities. He misplaced the booklet, but is still trying to find it for me, but I did received an extra battery & remote. This is my first DSLR so any tips on what to do to start out would be greatly appreciated. I've used this and my brother-in-law's D3100 a few times, but not enough to get very familiar with them, so I'm pretty excited to get going with it.

Thanks in advance!

Well I would probably start with the power button....:gabe:

d3000 manual....

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D3000_ENnoprint.pdf

One of the best methods for learning composition is simply sticking to one focal length and moving your feet to get the shot. The 50mm is great for this or simply don't use the zoom.

Reading the book "Understanding exposure" is a good start. Also learning "the rule of thirds" and then expanding it to sixths.

Last but not least, take lots of photos of peoples shoes;-) and don't forget your hipster gear.