Street racing back in the news

Richard Cranium

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/08/07/newark-drivers-caught-racing.html

NEWARK, Ohio - Newark Police say five, possibly six people, were racing at speeds of a hundred miles or more along State Route 16 early Monday morning.

They caught one of the drivers, who is now facing the consequences.

But police have a bigger warning.

10TV has learned that a 19-year-old driver was racing in his 1998 Ford Mustang and was pulled over for speeding at 126 miles per hour.

That's 71 miles over the posted 55 mile per hour speed limit.

Police say all the drivers are lucky they did not cause an accident.

"Going that fast, he easily could have killed somebody," said Newark Police Sergeant Paul Davis.

Police say they first noticed the 19-year-old man driving westbound on Route 16 at a speed of 119 miles per hour.

Police say there were four other vehicles speeding near him at more than a hundred miles per hour.

Then for some reason, police say the driver turned around and came back the other way, eastbound on 16.

A police officer was operating a laser speed detector at the Church Street overpass, and says he clocked the Mustang at 126 miles per hour.

When the driver pulled off the highway at 21st Street, another officer was waiting for him.

"He did admit he was racing when we first stopped him," said Sgt. Davis.

Asked if this was an ongoing issue, Sgt. Davis said, “We've had reports before on 16 - problems with people speeding up and down, racing."

Police say they will continue to watch these highways closely, and they warn of the potential deadly consequences of racing.

"They need to think twice about it,” added Sgt. Davis, “because not only can they hurt themselves, but there are so many other people they can hurt, and they can't take that back.”

The 19-year-old driver faces a huge fine, and because of the high speed, he must appear before a judge.

10TV has also learned that this same man got pulled over in the last year for speeding at 97 miles per hour in a 65 mile per hour zone.

That second violation could make his penalty even greater now.

10TV recently completed an investigation into speed violations of 90 miles per hour and higher across the state.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol says Licking County was third in the state out of 88 counties for the most violations - a 12 percent increase from 2011 to 2012 for a total of 856.

The patrol says most of the Licking County violations occurred along I-70.

But there were 14 violations over that period on State Route 16, which don't take into account local law enforcement numbers.

Whatever the numbers, police say they are too many.

And they say if people don't slow down, more lives will be at risk.

1998 Mustangs go 126mph? :lolguy:

(watching video...)

They did this on RT16? :lolguy::lolguy:

:lolguy::lolguy::lolguy::lolguy::lolguy::lolguy::lolguy::lolguy::lolguy::lolguy::lolguy:

(You have included 155 images in your message. You are limited to using 15 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again. )

:dumb:

This kid drives around town like a complete asshole! After the kid was stopped for this incident, he was allowed to drive his car home and has been spotted around town in it. Idk who his dad is, who is mom is blowing or what, but if this was anyone else we would've been fucked royally, our car impounded and most likely put in cuffs. For his 97 in a 65 he lost his license for a month...according to court documents he has only had them back for 3 months.

I don't think the cops are going to fuck with us at the meet, we was out last night at the parking garage downtown and there was cops there training a k9, they told us it was ok for us to sit up there. Hell maybe this will prevent people from driving like idiots at the meet

FWIW the kid wasn't even charged with street racing. We looked it up last night and they only got him for the speeding charge, the news is just running with the racing part.

Edited by DaddyBuiltRacing

i'm calling b.s.. no way a '98 mustang can go 126mph---you would need a several mile stretch of perfectly straight road. and a tailwind. i just don't see it. 215hp (at most), and no top end. the 'failed abortion' of the mustang world. least torque, least hp of any mustang from '79 on.

i'm calling b.s.. no way a '98 mustang can go 126mph---you would need a several mile stretch of perfectly straight road. and a tailwind. i just don't see it. 215hp (at most), and no top end. the 'failed abortion' of the mustang world. least torque, least hp of any mustang from '79 on.

MODZ

This kid drives around town like a complete asshole! After the kid was stopped for this incident, he was allowed to drive his car home and has been spotted around town in it. Idk who his dad is, who is mom is blowing or what, but if this was anyone else we would've been fucked royally, our car impounded and most likely put in cuffs. For his 97 in a 65 he lost his license for a month...according to court documents he has only had them back for 3 months.

I don't think the cops are going to fuck with us at the meet, we was out last night at the parking garage downtown and there was cops there training a k9, they told us it was ok for us to sit up there. Hell maybe this will prevent people from driving like idiots at the meet

FWIW the kid wasn't even charged with street racing. We looked it up last night and they only got him for the speeding charge, the news is just running with the racing part.

I would be surprised if he gets hit with anything less than a wreckless op.

But, who knows...

downhill with a tail wind

Plenty of people here claiming to hit that mark:

http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/93021-1998-gt-top-speed.html

Would take forever though

LOL did you read some of the posts in that thread? People saying 120 is scary fast and how theyd never do it again and blablabla, shits hilarious.

LOL did you read some of the posts in that thread? People saying 120 is scary fast and how theyd never do it again and blablabla, shits hilarious.

Lol, I hit 151 and let off, a few years ago right after I'd bought my car and it was an adrenaline rush, but not so "scary" no idea how 120 is anything more than very fast cruising, LOL.