Galaxy S4 questions

oh8sti

So im a lifelong apple guy. I got enrolled into the samsung white glove program because of my job. Basically what can I do to figure this thing out? Im not looking to go wild, I love the screen and feel, but I know nothing about the ram, apps, basically the whole phone.

What are some tips? What can i get rid of to make this puppy fast and get rid of some of the bloat?

Android "play" store is full of a lot of crappy apps and the obvious good ones. Similar to iPhone in that regards. You have a lot more to tinker with on the android as opposed to the iPhone (assuming no rooting/jail breaking) on either. I heads the S4s were a little fragile.. Great phone overall. Your contacts/apps/settings etc are synced to googles "cloud" the same way iPhone is for the most part

You can't remove the bloat unless you root it. Best thing you can do for the phone is root it. Mine had lag in various places that drove me bat shit crazy until I remove it. One other thing you can do is disable S-Voice from coning on when you double tap home button. There's lag in the single tap because it's waiting to see if you are going to double tap.

If you want a suggestion and don't want to get fancy, root the phone, install CleanRom, whatever version he's up to now and enjoy. If you do not want to install a diff rom, root it and install Ti-backup and remove all bloat.

Here's a list of all the things you can freeze or remove w/out breaking something. I do not suggest all of them, but most.

http://www.info-stuff.com/2013/05/galaxy-s4-safe-to-freeze-apps.html

Its a phone, not a space time continuum machine.

Use it to send texts, make phone calls, and surf the web. The principle behind it is the same as iOS, but without the retarded childish feel. The screens are pretty fragile, so baby it if you can. We have 10 of them here at work, and i believe i am the ONLY one who hasn't busted the screen yet.

For the love of christ, don't install a task manager and leave your RAM alone. RAM is there for a reason, to make your device run faster. Android is very efficient at managing RAM and how it handles apps running in the background.

Its a phone, not a space time continuum machine.

Use it to send texts, make phone calls, and surf the web. The principle behind it is the same as iOS, but without the retarded childish feel. The screens are pretty fragile, so baby it if you can. We have 10 of them here at work, and i believe i am the ONLY one who hasn't busted the screen yet.

Really? I've never had an issue with any of my Galaxy screens

thanks guys!

Its totally different than an iphone and right now I'm using them both at the same time, the S4 is for my international stuff until i get used to it, then i may switch it over to my main phone once i figure it all out.

So far, my only complaint is it seem laggy in some areas like scrolling a webpage.

my only complaint is it seem laggy in some areas like scrolling a webpage.

I don't know what the stock Samsung browser is like, but might want to install Chrome and see if that helps...or Firefox or Dolphin or Opera...see which one works best for you.

get an extended battery and a case... the "stock" battery kinda sucks. rooting it is a snap, I think I had mine rooted in less than 5 minutes. I use Dolphin browser and its awesome. there's a game called gem journey, it's so addicting it's not funny... I've been playing it several hours a day for the past week.

Agreed with Kickass - Use the task manager only to kill off misbehaving applications. Chrome= Win. I had an iPhone 4 and the transition was slow (Nothing in similar places as the IOS). After a period of time you will like it as well as the bigger/better display.

Agreed it would be nice to remove all the bloat, but does not seem to slow mine down and I have a corporate email running on mine (But I am not an app whore)

For the love of christ, don't install a task manager and leave your RAM alone. RAM is there for a reason, to make your device run faster. Android is very efficient at managing RAM and how it handles apps running in the background.

This. Let it do its job. In my experience when people root their devices and then install everything they want; they end up near where they started but without vendor support. It's a phone not a lifestyle. Seriously.

In lieu of the my usual Apple hate....I have to admit something...I went to Verizon with my girl recently because her S3 stopped powering on and I went to the temple of pretence...um...I mean the "Genius Bar" with her daughter's ipod that also wouldn't power on. Verizon did zero for us except offer to sell her a new one at full price (it is only like 10 months old). Apple on the other hand didn't even bother trouble-shooting the problem and just replaced it with a new one free. (she got it for xmas so, about the same age device). So, reluctantly I give Apple a nod. The crapple hater in me wonders tho if their hardware is so crappy that they just build replacement into their bloated price.

Sorry for the thread-jacking. If you are a techie...you will love your android device...if not...don't let that Apple go just yet.

• 1 month later...
Just a heads up, the screens arent as rigid as they claim. I was checking some emails on my phone last night before i fell asleep. Laid the phone down on the night stand and when i woke up the screen was busted. So it either cracked when i laid it down on the nightstand, or spontaneously cracked on its own. Ive had this phone for about 2 weeks now and have never dropped it or abused it in any way. There are no scuff marks anywhere on it. It looks like it just came out of the box. Either way, i'm pretty disappointed.