street racing question.

rage1187

to some this may seem like a stupid question but this actually has me curious.

If people are street racing, and you are just sitting there watching, is that illegal? I have no intentions to race, but i also would watch a good race going on. ill leave that at that, but was just curious if cops can take legal action to those who are no actually racing.

this is 99% of the people out there at meets, etc. If you aren't racing then don't be with the pack. It just attracts more attention and potential for something to go wrong.

This.

I would HATE IT when i would go out to race, and fuckin 10 ricers follow us out of the parking lot, Makes me not even want to race. Its draws attention like crazy when 10-15 cars leave the parking lot just for 2 to race. One of the reasons i dont go to the meets anymore, its all highschool ricers. If they want to see the race you can have one chase-camera car, and just show people the video when you get back. Shit half the people up there cant even remotely keep up with the cars that do race so they just get left behind and barely see the race anyways.

This.

I would HATE IT when i would go out to race, and fuckin 10 ricers follow us out of the parking lot, Makes me not even want to race. Its draws attention like crazy when 10-15 cars leave the parking lot just for 2 to race. One of the reasons i dont go to the meets anymore, its all highschool ricers. If they want to see the race you can have one chase-camera car, and just show people the video when you get back. Shit half the people up there cant even remotely keep up with the cars that do race so they just get left behind and barely see the race anyways.

Blame this scene.

to some this may seem like a stupid question but this actually has me curious.

If people are street racing, and you are just sitting there watching, is that illegal? I have no intentions to race, but i also would watch a good race going on. ill leave that at that, but was just curious if cops can take legal action to those who are no actually racing.

If you not racing there is no reason for you to be there.

Varies by the city you're in an the ordinances they have. There is nothing in the Ohio Revised code about being a spectator, only for being the driver.

But yes, certain cities/villages have their own ordinances against being a spectator.

Varies by the city you're in an the ordinances they have. There is nothing in the Ohio Revised code about being a spectator, only for being the driver.

But yes, certain cities/villages have their own ordinances against being a spectator.

thank you. i just figured i would keep my distance.

as far as the comment if im not racing i should not be there? lol. that has to be one of the dumbest comments in this thread. some people are just car enthusiasts. when your from a small town, you are limited on what you can do. I dont want to go to a bar, i dont want to do drugs, i just want to chill out. i enjoy cruising here and there. i find peace when i drive.

Appreciate the answers though.

We was told by a cop a couple weeks ago that it's the same charge regardless if your racing or spectating...

That's gotta be horseshit. I can't imagine that standing up in court.

I will add that you can get a "spectator" ticket (don't recall the exact name of the charge) as was mentioned previously. I'm not sure about Ohio exactly but I know this is possible in other places I've lived. Probably goes fuckin double for Ohio since it is Ohio and all.

If all you want to do is spectate, then drive a RAV or Vibe and chill in the slow lane. haha ;)

Found this on Yahoo Answers, two ohio cops talking to eachother.

Question

Can a observer to a Street Race in Ohio be charged as a partcipant?

As an Ohio Police Officer can I charge a observer to a Street Race as a particpant. the Ohio Traffic laws say particpating in ant manner. I can find no legal justification to charge a observer. Flag man yes. Maybe even an occuapant. But, to charge a observer with a M1 and then they loose a drivers license for not even operating is a stretch for me. My partner and I strongly disagree with each other. Any Case Law?

Answer

I think it would be tough to charge someone just standing around. Do you charge people who watch a bank robber run out of the bank?

I agree that anyone that participates or supports them should be charged. But how do you articulate participation to people just standing around.

If the people standing around all fled when LE arrived I would consider obstruction charges for them but not for drag racing (sorry, street racing; they changed the name since I started).

Sorry, I don't know any case law to quote; just my opinions.

Source(s):

Police Officer, 12 years (Ohio)

Also this is our LAW on street racing

4511.251 Street racing.

(A) As used in this section and section 4510.036 of the Revised Code, "street racing" means the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to out-distance each other or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, wherein timing is made of the participating vehicles involving competitive accelerations or speeds. Persons rendering assistance in any manner to such competitive use of vehicles shall be equally charged as the participants. The operation of two or more vehicles side by side either at speeds in excess of prima-facie lawful speeds established by divisions (B)(1)(a) to (B)(8) of section 4511.21 of the Revised Code or rapidly accelerating from a common starting point to a speed in excess of such prima-facie lawful speeds shall be prima-facie evidence of street racing.

(B) No person shall participate in street racing upon any public road, street, or highway in this state.

© Whoever violates this section is guilty of street racing, a misdemeanor of the first degree. In addition to any other sanctions, the court shall suspend the offender's driver's license, commercial driver's license, temporary instruction permit, probationary license, or nonresident operating privilege for not less than thirty days or more than three years. No judge shall suspend the first thirty days of any suspension of an offender's license, permit, or privilege imposed under this division.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004; 06-01-2004; 06-15-2006

The part i bolded says "Persons rendering assistance in any manner to such competitive use of vehicles shall be equally charged as the participants." but i dont know is spectating is considered assistance to the street race.

Also this is our LAW on street racing

4511.251 Street racing.

(A) As used in this section and section 4510.036 of the Revised Code, "street racing" means the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to out-distance each other or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, wherein timing is made of the participating vehicles involving competitive accelerations or speeds. Persons rendering assistance in any manner to such competitive use of vehicles shall be equally charged as the participants. The operation of two or more vehicles side by side either at speeds in excess of prima-facie lawful speeds established by divisions (B)(1)(a) to (B)(8) of section 4511.21 of the Revised Code or rapidly accelerating from a common starting point to a speed in excess of such prima-facie lawful speeds shall be prima-facie evidence of street racing.

(B) No person shall participate in street racing upon any public road, street, or highway in this state.

© Whoever violates this section is guilty of street racing, a misdemeanor of the first degree. In addition to any other sanctions, the court shall suspend the offender's driver's license, commercial driver's license, temporary instruction permit, probationary license, or nonresident operating privilege for not less than thirty days or more than three years. No judge shall suspend the first thirty days of any suspension of an offender's license, permit, or privilege imposed under this division.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004; 06-01-2004; 06-15-2006

The part i bolded says "Persons rendering assistance in any manner to such competitive use of vehicles shall be equally charged as the participants." but i dont know is spectating is considered assistance to the street race.

In that definition, "rendering assistance" would be one of the guys blocking off roads, slowing traffic, etc etc.

If you are strictly an observer (standing and watching) they can't charge you with 4511.251.

This is for Springfield and Clark County, but i would assume the same is for Columbus.

Whole Post

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2004/mar/03/county-outlaws-spectating-at-street-races/

This was a vote about charging spectators in street racing.

"Hoping to prevent illegal street racing, the Clark County Commission voted Tuesday to outlaw spectators at the races.

Before the 7-0 vote, Metro Police told commissioners that having the throngs of onlookers, many of them teenagers, is what makes the races events. The ordinance, which covers only unincorporated Clark County, makes it a misdemeanor to watch a street race from within 500 feet of the race."

So if your within 500 feet of the people racing you can get a misdemeanor. What if we just stand further away? :lol:

as far as the comment if im not racing i should not be there? lol. that has to be one of the dumbest comments in this thread. some people are just car enthusiasts. when your from a small town, you are limited on what you can do. I dont want to go to a bar, i dont want to do drugs, i just want to chill out. i enjoy cruising here and there. i find peace when i drive.

Not really, the more people that are there or following you to the spot the more chance the law will show up, plain and simple. If you dont want to get in trouble dont be there.

Chillicothe isn't a small town. Crap hole? Yes. Small town? No.

I've been there trying to dine/shop with the fam and ricers use to be everywhere driving like idiots down Bridge St. and flying through parking lots at all kinds of angles with no regards to anyone but themselves.

This is 4% of the reason I try to avoid Chillicothe.