130mph road burn

Zoner1320

There's been a few times on group rides rushing because everyone is waiting that I've got going and felt the strap beating the shit out of my neck within a few 100 feet of leaving. I'd pull over and strap it. I don't know how that strap at that speed wasn't beating the crap out of him or the wind wanting to blow his helmet off.

ah ha, there you have it... drunk, helmet not fastened, going really fast --> the damn thing blew off and he wrecked...

I've been to Flannagans on the bike a few times and had ONE beer at the beginning of the evening, played 3 games of volleyball + drinking water and then road the bike home. That's about as far as I would consider pushing my luck in that respect. I def don't want to get into that habit.

I feel bad that this kid didn't have the common sense/positive peer pressure to make a better decision than that....

Later it was found that he just left the bar and had alot to drink

So that means someone knew he had a lot to drink, then let him get on the bike and leave? If that was a bartender that could mean serious shit, if it were his "friends" then he needs some new ones.

So that means someone knew he had a lot to drink, then let him get on the bike and leave? If that was a bartender that could mean serious shit, if it were his "friends" then he needs some new ones.

This is true but it still does not help the common sense issue. Should have never started to exceed his comfort limit to begin with.

Sucks, really. But honestly, assuming he survives, this is exactly the kind of wakeup call some people need in their life. Obviously, I don't know this guys story, but the compounding of dumb decisions (drinking+130mph+poor gear) led to this, and these were only the decisions he made.

This is true but it still does not help the common sense issue. Should have never started to exceed his comfort limit to begin with.
Sucks, really. But honestly, assuming he survives, this is exactly the kind of wakeup call some people need in their life. Obviously, I don't know this guys story, but the compounding of dumb decisions (drinking+130mph+poor gear) led to this, and these were only the decisions he made.
^^^^^ Cant agree more

:plus1: to ALL!

this wasn't a 15yr old kid. This was an adult. No one "LET" him drink, just as no one "LET" him get on the bike w/out all the gear, no one "LET" him get on the bike drunk and do 130mph. He CHOSE to be a dumbass, and hopefully this will serve as his wake up call before he kills or injures someone else.

:squid::plus1:

I have on occasion ridden to the bar...and had a couple of drinks.....

But I try not to ride if I have had more than a couple of beers or I feel anything.

I know some will say one is one too many on a bike....but I do not think a single beer or two...or maybe three....puts you into a place where you shouldnt be operating your bike.

Now granted it depends on your individual tolerance limit..and your size.

I am a 250lb guy...so it takes a bit more to get me tipsy.

My shiny Nickels worth.

I don't think there has ever been a "drunk" driver that didn't think he was sober enough to drive. Otherwise why would they drive?

Honestly... the imbibing of alcohol from the first drop begins to impair your ability to react. This has been proven time and again. True, weight has some bearing as does tolerance etc. The point being, the very act of drinking ,from the point go, impairs your ability to even decide if you've had your limit.

Personally I'm tipsy after 1 beer and I weigh 185 lbs.

Hey man...to each his own...I was just saying.

And I do agree with you.....But there is a reson that they have designated a limit to what you can legally drink and still drive a vehicle.....Technically.

And they lowered that limit recently.....

I don't condone it....But I cant say I havent done it either.

I also didnt used to wear any gear....but as I have gotten older....I have gotten wiser.

Hey man...to each his own...I was just saying.

And I do agree with you.....But there is a reson that they have designated a limit to what you can legally drink and still drive a vehicle.....Technically.

And they lowered that limit recently.....

I don't condone it....But I cant say I havent done it either.

I also didnt used to wear any gear....but as I have gotten older....I have gotten wiser.

No worries. I'm not judging anyone. Like I said personally I can get tipsy with one beer and I weigh 185. My tolerance level is next to none. I have a nephew that can drink vodkas all night and it seems to have little effect.

You as an individual are suspect when making your own decisions as to how much is enough. That's why you should not drink and travel alone.

I think we all can agree that no responsible rider would ride drunk, or w/o gear, or w/o helmet properly attached. This squid was not and is not a responsible rider.

I'm 200lbs and can drink quite a bit before I'm legally over the limit, and a hell of a lot more than that before I'm drunk to the point that I can't see or think straight. No matter how drunk I have ever been, I've NEVER considered riding my bike. I've had friends drive me home (sober ones), called a cab, walked, or just slept it off at a friends house until the morning. Riding the bike takes way too much skill and concentration to even consider getting on when sloshed.

I think we all can agree that no responsible rider would ride drunk, or w/o gear, or w/o helmet properly attached. This squid was not and is not a responsible rider.

I'm 200lbs and can drink quite a bit before I'm legally over the limit, and a hell of a lot more than that before I'm drunk to the point that I can't see or think straight. No matter how drunk I have ever been, I've NEVER considered riding my bike. I've had friends drive me home (sober ones), called a cab, walked, or just slept it off at a friends house until the morning. Riding the bike takes way too much skill and concentration to even consider getting on when sloshed.

Amen!

Seriously? I can't fathom drinking that much of any liquid.

Yeah I fucked my tolerance up starting back when I was a teenager. To put it in perspective balaormiga, I had 11 Coors Lights in 3 hours last night and am at work now feeling fine. Made a sandwich, brushed my teeth and hung out for an hour before bed after I was done drinking. I have a crazy beer tolerance that just built up over time because I drink beer like 5/7 days a week.

I try to stay away from liqour though because I don't know when to say when on that shit. I've been known to finish a 750ml bottle of 80proof liqour in one night by myself. Wake up not remembering much. :(:nono: So I vowed to not drink hard liqour anymore. I don't get bad drunk from beer, more just buzzed and feeling good, so me and my wife are cool with that then. I admit that I'm addicted to beer.:(

Yeah I fucked my tolerance up starting back when I was a teenager. To put it in perspective balaormiga, I had 11 Coors Lights in 3 hours last night and am at work now feeling fine. Made a sandwich, brushed my teeth and hung out for an hour before bed after I was done drinking. I have a crazy beer tolerance that just built up over time because I drink beer like 5/7 days a week.

I try to stay away from liqour though because I don't know when to say when on that shit. I've been known to finish a 750ml bottle of 80proof liqour in one night by myself. Wake up not remembering much. :(:nono: So I vowed to not drink hard liqour anymore. I don't get bad drunk from beer, more just buzzed and feeling good, so me and my wife are cool with that then. I admit that I'm addicted to beer.:(

Wow... I need to buy stock in some beer companies.

My dad's the same way, he'll down a 12 pack every night, go to sleep at 11:00 or midnight, wake up at 5:30 and go to work...

been doing it as long as I can remember.