Kale's SCCA Solo Nationals Thread

bmwohio

In the almost 20 years since I started doing Solo (autocross) I have always wanted to attend the SCCA Solo Nationals......well this year, I get my shot.....

I give you the 2013 SCCA Solo National Championship

http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=5489

Here are 2 videos from 2011 and 2012 to give an idea of what it's like....

I have always wanted to go, but have never had a car competitive enough to do so.....well this year I was able to get behind the wheel of a pretty competitive car for the Toledo Pro Solo and was able to place 3rd place out of a class of 21 cars (including 4 national championship drivers).

After that event I was approached by a guy out of the Atlanta region and he asked me if I wanted to co-drive his car at Nationals this year.....well, this is an opportunity that I couldn't pass up.....

Wife and I talked about it, and we made it work (this trip is not cheap).

So Randall, the guy who asked me to co-drive, has an almost 100% prepped E36 328is that I will be driving......

Car I'm competing in....

69495_480599798628131_422869316_n.jpg

As of right now STX, the class I am competing in, is the largest class with 65 drivers in the class....I think it is one of the biggest classes at Nationals in a couple of years.......

So, why did I make this thread? I don't know....I just wanted to document and share my first trip to this event and hopefully give you all a 'behind the scenes' look of what it's like to make this journey.....Hopefully you enjoy it.......

I will only be competing in the Solo Nationals, and not the Pro Solo Finals.....

Pro Solo Finals starts on Saturday, August 31st and run Saturday and Sunday.....

Monday is an 'off' day, and then the Solo Nationals run Tuesday-Friday (September 3-6).

Here is how the competition works:

Tue/Wed a certain amount of classes run and I run on Thurs/Fri......

-There is an East course and West course

-You get three runs on one course (East or West), and then the following day you get three runs on the other course...

-From there you combine your two best times together from the East course and West course, and your place is determined by the lowest times possible between the two.....

They will also have a 'test and tune' course set-up on the opposite side of the airstrip, and I will doing a small test and tune on Wednesday with the Evolution Driving School from 12-2.

The camaraderie that exists between all competitors is pretty cool, and hard to put into words until you go and experience it.

It is a 12-13 hour drive out to Lincoln, Nebraska (Lincoln Airpark) where the competition is held. I will be driving out with a good friend from my local Ohio Valley Region and we will making the journey in his Mitsubishi EVO RS - for those unfamiliar with the 'RS' this has no AC, no radio, no sound deadening material.....it will be an interesting drive out to say the least......

....so stay tuned if you like, and I will post updates throughout the week of September 2-7.........

Edited by bmwohio

I will be driving out with a good friend from my local Ohio Valley Region and we will making the journey in his Mitsubishi EVO RS - for those unfamiliar with the 'RS' this has no AC, no radio, no sound deadening material.....it will be an interesting drive out to say the least......

Corrected. :-P

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do well.

Thanks all....I have no idea what to expect with the amount of talent that will be at this event. I will be ECSTATIC if I can bring back some hardware.

I forgot to add that you can follow here 'live' the day of the events. I'll post back in this thread when I have a better idea of when I run. SCCA runs a live UStream feed with stationary cameras and stream the announcer.

Live timing --> http://sololive.scca.com/

West Course

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/2013NationalsCoursesFlippedWESTONLY_zps05a1c492.jpg

East Course

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/2013NationalsCoursesFlippedEASTONLY_zps937312ab.jpg

Having a blast so far. The competition here is absolutely amazing.

My first day of running is tomorrow. My first run will probably be around 9:30ish if anyone wants to follow along. I get 3 runs tomorrow.

I will post pics later.

Live timing --> http://sololive.scca.com/

My class is STX, just click on that and you will have to refresh the page alot to get updated times and places.

Here is the Live video feed and announcer on Ustream. I will be on the East Course tomorrow.

Video feed and play by play announcing --> http://m.ustream.tv/channel/solo-nationals-east

I don't understand your question. It means I didn't expect there to be that high a number of RX8's and FRS/BRZ's. I was expecting that class to be more 3-series dominated.

The class has always been dominated by the rx8 and the toyobaru, it was a given in autocross circles it would be a huge presence in whatever ST class it was put.....

The bmw has been just coming because of the inhuman Heitkotter

The class has always been dominated by the rx8 and the toyobaru, it was a given in autocross circles it would be a huge presence in whatever ST class it was put.....

The bmw has been just coming because of the inhuman Heitkotter

I see. I must not be in an autocross circle then.