lettuce talk mini vans ver. soccer mom

Well we may start looking at vans again anytime between now and a year from now. We had a 03 Odyssey and loved it until the day the transmission let go. After a little reading I found almost all odysseys eat transmissions in normal driving conditions. It is a pretty big charge of $2800-4000 to fix. That being said we like the newer body style (05-09), but once again worried about the transmissions. I would look at siennas too, but figured I would ask around here first. Anyone have any experience in this area? Did the Odyssey transmissions get better at some point? Thanks in advance...

Tom

Well we may start looking at vans again anytime between now and a year from now. We had a 03 Odyssey and loved it until the day the transmission let go. After a little reading I found almost all odysseys eat transmissions in normal driving conditions. It is a pretty big charge of $2800-4000 to fix. That being said we like the newer body style (05-09), but once again worried about the transmissions. I would look at siennas too, but figured I would ask around here first. Anyone have any experience in this area? Did the Odyssey transmissions get better at some point? Thanks in advance...

Tom

We have an '05 odyssey touring. It's have about 150k miles and never really have any problem with it. My only gripe is the mpg is a little sux, I get about 18mpg. Must be the way I drive.

We just traded our 02 Odyssey for a 11 Odyssey for the same reasons. They changed the body in 11 and the new ones are a lot nicer inside. The 11 also gets better gas mileage. 2 reasons we went with another Honda over the Toyota were the spare tire is inside on the Odyssey instead of underneath and the Toyotas carpet only comes in light grey or light tan. Seemed dumb to have light carpet with young kids. Overall we have been very happy with the upgrade. Good luck.

The Odyssey (newer ones) and the Sienna are hard to beat. That Sienna will burn many a ricer for a merge, too and will still get excellent milage. I can't imagine you'd ever get under 20 considering we get no lower than 22-23 city only driving with huge all terrains on the RAV. (Same engine, obviously.)

Best thing you can do is go out and test drive what you're looking for. You can rape the internet all day, but don't forget, you gotta get out there for that final decision.

The issue with the old odyssey transmissions came down to having a non removable filter. I believe they changed this in 05.

Yeah, I know they get really hot then pop. Can any Honda tech/dealer types confirm 05-up are safe?

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom

2011 Odyssey EX-L checking in...

Awesome van, got it with 33k miles. Now has 58k+miles, maintenance done at Roush Honda and it's been awesome. I will say that there was a wierd power steering issue when I bought it, but the PS pump was replaced for free and not a problem since.

No other repairs, but for such a big van and I routinely drive @ 80mph and up, the brakes are going to need to be replaced.

If I were buying again, the Hyundai Entourage/Kia Sedonas are actually really good. I'd look at a Caravan/Routan if it was Pentastar 3.6 powered. The Honda's/Toyota's just command too much money.