North Side project aims to untangle I-270/Rt. 23 interchange

dsm_sleeper

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/public/2013/09/10/Project-to-smooth-out-270-and-23-set-to-start.html

By Rick Rouan

The Columbus DispatchTuesday September 10, 2013 1:14 PM

Construction will begin Monday on a project to rebuild the congested I-270/Rt. 23 interchange on the North Side.

Traffic snarls at the interchange during rush hour as commuters exiting I-270 compete with those entering the Outerbelt, creating a weaving pattern that state officials say is dangerous.

The two loop ramps exiting I-270 will be removed from the cloverleaf interchange, replaced with a smoother curve that will allow drivers to choose which direction they want to travel on Rt. 23.

The Ohio Department of Transportation also plans to add underground express lanes on northbound Rt. 23 between Campus View Boulevard and Flint Road.

Construction will last about three years, but all traffic movements should be restored by September 2015, said Ferzan Ahmed, deputy director over ODOT District 6.

The interchange is the third most-congested in central Ohio.

“You’ve got congestion. We have safety issues,” Ahmed said at a press conference today. “We’r e going to solve them over the next 30 months.”

The $72 million project also will widen Rt. 23 from Northwoods Boulevard to Lazelle Road from two lanes to three lanes in each direction.

ODOT also plans to build an additional lane on southbound Rt. 23 from I-270 to Northwoods Boulevard.

@RickRouan

Edited by dsm_sleeper

Nevermind. I see mah tunnel on the NORF SIDE OF THE PIC.

:thumbup: Carry on with my taxdollhairs, ODOT!

Its a "Trench" not a tunnel! Lmfao, Looking forward to it reguardless

why dont they finish the projects they started instead of tearing up more roads and causing more construction congestion.

it will be fair worse before it gets better.

I hate ODOT, they have a bunch of idiot planners.

This. Finish up all the other construction you got all OVER 270 and 71/70 before you start tearing more shit up. They got all the 71/70 mess, the 270 on the west side by 70 mess, going to be up there by 71/270/315 now, what next?

I predict all intersection of 71/70 and 270 will have construction at them in the next 5 years.