Hurt at work possibly selling bike need advice

wnaplay

I dont ride my bike very often but when I do its mainly in the summertime. Well my foot was crushed at work the other night. So I have rode the bike once so far this year and now I am being told I wont be able to put presser on this foot for 4-6 months. And after that I am not sure if it will be able to handle a ride til next year anyways. So Shold I keep the bike or sell it and buy something newer when I;m good again? The bike is a 98 cbr900rr, payed off, not perfect and coulduse some maintenance work and minor parts to be a serious rider. i would just hate for the bike to sit there and get plugged up and have parts wearing out for a year when Its running and I can sell it.

If you like the bike, you have the room, and its payed off, keep it.

Put it up on stands. fill the gas tank all the way up and put stabil in it, run it for a bit to get the stabil through the system. Plug an old rag in the tail pipe. Take the battery inside, and through a tarp/cover over it.

Just not sure if now wouldnt be a good time to go ahead and get rid of it. Its going to need some work at sometime, definately before its ridden next year if its not ridden this year. Plus it would give me a good reason if I want to continue to ride, to get something newer. I may never be able to ride. The foot may never be strong enough to allow it.

If it is payed off I would keep it (following the excellent storage advise already provided). When you ride again it will be much easier to start on a bike you are familiar with than something new. You wouldn't want to buy a new bike and then find out you can't ride.....

Might as well sell it now, depreciation will hurt you over time and the money in the bank wouldn't hurt. By the time you're back up to speed (hopefully) you might want something milder to ease back into the hobby.

Sorry to hear about the injury, hope to hear you're riding with us again soon. Rest up!

I would agree with keepn it due to the fact it is paid off............ the only pitfall to selling it right now is you won't get what you want, probably. With time gettn tight people aren't just thrown money around. Its a tough call, but I would hang onto it and if you want something else sell yours when people aren't so gun shy on spending. Just a thought........................

you could "loan" it to a fellow rider that you trust to keep it running and ride responsibly... that way it's still getting used and will still be there when you get back in the saddle (so to speak) and if not they could pay you installments.... then win win... it is a tough call tho... I don't know If I could give it up completely... course I did ride after a few foot injuries it hurt like hell but i still did it...

Do what makes you comfortable. In over a year, you may find another bike you like more. If you doubt thats the case then, I would prep yours for long term storage.. If its going to be sitting for a year, DO NOT PUT STABIL IN IT.

Pull the Batt, Drain the tank of all fuel, and open it and let it air out. Start the bike and run it till it dies to get all remaining fuel out of the injectors. Then depending, I would be tempted to completely fill the case and cylinders with oil to avoid and issues with rust.

Edited by flounder

I would agree with keepn it due to the fact it is paid off............ the only pitfall to selling it right now is you won't get what you want, probably. With time gettn tight people aren't just thrown money around. Its a tough call, but I would hang onto it and if you want something else sell yours when people aren't so gun shy on spending. Just a thought........................

+1.....just run the bike here and there and it will be fine

i always thought it was best to start it up and let it run for 5-10 minutes..guess i learned something today

Nah... your bike doesnt really create enough power at idle to keep the battery charged so every time you start it you are actually draining it more... Not to mention that every time you start it and run it, you introduce moisture into the system. If youre just storing it for winter, I pull the battery and fill my tank. If I had to store it for longer then that, (like over a year) I would pull the batt, drain the tank, and then contemplate filling the entire case with oil. On my track bike, I also pull the water pump hose and drain the radiator and engine of all water so it doesn't freeze. You dont have to do this with something that has antifreeze in it though. Ive never used Stabil as an fyi.

If I were in your situation, I would sell it. Any $$$ you get from the sale would be in your pocket. You say you may NEVER be able to ride again. If that is the case, you will not have take less due to it's decreasing value. If you CAN ride again, get something newer. Who knows... maybe a Sport Bike's angle will hurt your healed foot, and a Cruiser will be what is needed???

Just my thoughts....

KillJoy

You'll never get all the gas out of it unless you take it apart and flush it out.

1 year or less fill the gas tank full (and add stabil or another fuel stabilizer) so the air exchange tube cant suck in moist air as the tank expands and contracts with fluctuating temps and rust your tank from the inside.

1 year or more, you might want to drain the tank. Run stabil treated gas through the system, drain the tank, run the bike on an empty tank till it dies. Shut your tank valve off & Crimp off the air exchange tube. Its still going to be gummed up a bit though after that long. Gas goes bad, that's just the way it is.

Good luck in your decision. Sounds like you WANT to get rid of it...

If you like the bike, you have the room, and its payed off, keep it.

Put it up on stands. fill the gas tank all the way up and put stabil in it, run it for a bit to get the stabil through the system. Plug an old rag in the tail pipe. Take the battery inside, and through a tarp/cover over it.

what he said.. It's paid for, and unless you're hurting for the money, hand on to it. Besides, would you rather get back on a bike you're comfortable with after a long layoff or a brand new to you bike?