Computer People - Need Your Input/Advice

Dr. Pomade

The really really important thing to remember is, if I have physical access to the drive...I win. There is a mechanism to un-encrypt the data on the drive itself, I just need to trigger that mechanism. Lots of great papers out there and really good tools for busting full disk encryption.

Having said that, TrueCrypt.

This is the man to listen to.

I'm going to toss out an idea that goes a little different direction. This may or may not fit your needs since I don't know much about how you work.

If your concern is someone breaking into your office and seeing a laptop and grabbing it, or losing the laptop while traveling, then why not keep the data on a separate machine? If you have a secure closet or room in your office you could keep a server (Linux, Windows, whatever) and have your confidential data stored on that machine. Obviously the data stored on that machine would be encrypted, backed up, etc... But that gets the data off your desk.

I'm going to toss out an idea that goes a little different direction. This may or may not fit your needs since I don't know much about how you work.

If your concern is someone breaking into your office and seeing a laptop and grabbing it, or losing the laptop while traveling, then why not keep the data on a separate machine? If you have a secure closet or room in your office you could keep a server (Linux, Windows, whatever) and have your confidential data stored on that machine. Obviously the data stored on that machine would be encrypted, backed up, etc... But that gets the data off your desk.

Long story short, I have to have a laptop, I have to take it with me a lot of places, and it has to have a lot of sensitive data on it. So, no getting around it, unfortunately.

Okay, I'm back to being stuck. I can't figure out a way of using a USB flash drive to load up (or whatever) BitLocker. Halp?

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1737499&postcount=1

or just PM this guy and /thread

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/member.php?u=808