Time Warner LOL

zeitgeist57

As part of our home renovation, I had all the phone lines throughout my house replaced with CAT 5, with the hope of going internet-only. My family hardly cares about watching live TV anyway: more NetFlix, Hulu, and Youtube action. Through Wow, we've now got 30Mbps internet service powering Apple TV, TiVo, and smartscreens...and I couldn't be happier. Saves me $70+ a month!

I know the technology has come a long way in the last 5-8 years, becoming more mainstream. I'm proud to say we have no landline phone and now no cable at our house. Has anyone else done something similar (running Internet only)? Tips and tricks would be appreciated.

Good stuff. We use WOW Ultra TV and love it. Still cable of course but the phone has been with them for many years. Smart TV's in all but one room and there we use an iPad to stream to things.

Good luck. Will love to hear the tips and tricks and how it all works out.

My roommates and I are internet only. We have WOW's 50 megabit tier, and its fast enough to download/stream/game online/whatever all at once. It's great. Cable is a waste now, especially if you can be patient for a bit until your show/movie/whatever of choice is available online.

Be Cable TV charge large premium for special channel blocks and still display 10 minutes of commercials for a 30 minute show. MAKES CENTS.

I haven't had Cable TV in years. You can find everything you would ever watch on the intertubes.

I have Chromecast on all of my TV that I use with Netflix or the occasional Youtube video on the big screens. I rarely watch TV so it's perfect, I was paying over 100$ a month for cable for like two years and maybe turned a TV on 5 times? Finally cancelled that crap recently

I have Chromecast on all of my TV that I use with Netflix or the occasional Youtube video on the big screens. I rarely watch TV so it's perfect, I was paying over 100$ a month for cable for like two years and maybe turned a TV on 5 times? Finally cancelled that crap recently

How do you like the chromecast? Does it work well with 2 different ones using netflix at the same time?

Only a matter of time before they start catching on and jacking up the price of internet. Or finding some sort of tax or fee for those without a paid television subscription.

I'm hoping it's quite the opposite actually. I'd imagine companies will start offering gigabit internet in a wider area in the coming months. L.A is wanting to offer a fiber network to all 3.5 million residents with a goal of lowering the cost of the service.

The goal is to lower the cost of super high-speed Internet connections to make LA a more attractive place for businesses.

Source: http://www.ibtimes.com/los-angeles-fiber-network-coming-la-introduce-gigabit-internet-35-million-residents-1458154

We are stuck with Time warner sadly as the apartment we are in only deals with them, it took me a good half hour to cancel TV as they kept tranferring me and asking if I had a discounted rate for a few months would I keep cable. I kept telling them no i dont like you people cancel it before i throw this dvr through your window.

I'm hoping it's quite the opposite actually. I'd imagine companies will start offering gigabit internet in a wider area in the coming months. L.A is wanting to offer a fiber network to all 3.5 million residents with a goal of lowering the cost of the service.

The goal is to lower the cost of super high-speed Internet connections to make LA a more attractive place for businesses.

Source: http://www.ibtimes.com/los-angeles-fiber-network-coming-la-introduce-gigabit-internet-35-million-residents-1458154

Data limits. Yeah internet is getting faster, and "cheaper" but i see a future where internet providors begin setting data caps. Want more data/streaming ability? Yeah youre gonna need to upgrade your data cap. Go over that cap and we charge you more than you were paying for cable TV. Its fucked up, considering it costs these companies next to nothing to provide unlimited data. Throttling was just the beginning of it.

Here is some information on data capping:

http://gigaom.com/2012/10/01/data-caps-chart/

250gb seems like quite a bit, but bit rates on streaming media continue to rise as quality of the content improves. A single HD movie can be up to 8BG.

We use our chromecast daily.. We only have one.

I have a question for those who cancelled - do you watch live sports? If so how/where do you get it from?

The only thing stopping is us missing F1, moto GP, and football/baseball

I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do out here in California, and this is my main concern with going internet only. I'm pretty limited as far as my options go, and it seems like all the ISP's in my area have caps.

I've been thinking of going interwebz only but not sure how that would work out for sports. MLB & NFL have an internet package but not sure about college football with local "blackout" policies and how that works with somthing like ESPN3.

I have a question for those who cancelled - do you watch live sports? If so how/where do you get it from?

I would love to do the same thing the only issue is live sports and things like nascar.

You end up making more trips to sports bars to get any live games in. No problem with me I need more reasons to go eat at BW3. And I will be sure to carry just so Farkas flips out.

Data limits. Yeah internet is getting faster, and "cheaper" but i see a future where internet providors begin setting data caps. Want more data/streaming ability? Yeah youre gonna need to upgrade your data cap. Go over that cap and we charge you more than you were paying for cable TV. Its fucked up, considering it costs these companies next to nothing to provide unlimited data. Throttling was just the beginning of it.

Here is some information on data capping:

http://gigaom.com/2012/10/01/data-caps-chart/

250gb seems like quite a bit, but bit rates on streaming media continue to rise as quality of the content improves. A single HD movie can be up to 8BG.

Right, same thing cell phone companies started doing.

We went internet only a long time ago. Unfortunately all we have is Comcrap and they've announced they are going to metered internet. With them being the only real broadmand provider in the area, we're screwed. (No I don't consider DSL real broadband because it's terrible around here.)

I'm internet only. Those gadgets that you hook up to your tv are nice, but there are websites that stream stuff that you can't get on them. I'd recommend having a decent computer hooked up to at least one tv in the house for watching stuff you otherwise won't be able to see.

Live sports is a big one for us, too.

You end up making more trips to sports bars to get any live games in. No problem with me I need more reasons to go eat at BW3. And I will be sure to carry just so Farkas flips out.

lol That kinda offsets the cost savings.

I was internet only for about the past year and a half, last month I went back to cable. I might be in the minority nowadays, but watching tons of shit through the x-box got old. Even with 3 computers you had to know what you wanted to watch and I wanted to just flip channels. So fuck it I went backwards and sepnd more money. I also want to get rid of this stupid smart phone and just talk to people, why does everyone always have to text me? I have ears and a voice, things are just too impersonal anymore.

I'm internet only. Those gadgets that you hook up to your tv are nice, but there are websites that stream stuff that you can't get on them. I'd recommend having a decent computer hooked up to at least one tv in the house for watching stuff you otherwise won't be able to see.

My PS3 does nearly all we need. We tried the PC route, too much hassle. We did the Roku and many other devices, they sucked. The PS3 is easy and covers it all for us so far.

Even with 3 computers you had to know what you wanted to watch and I wanted to just flip channels. So fuck it I went backwards and sepnd more money. I also want to get rid of this stupid smart phone and just talk to people, why does everyone always have to text me? I have ears and a voice, things are just too impersonal anymore.

Yeah, I miss just flipping myself. Never know what you may run across that catches your attention.

I'm also the same way with the phone. I rarely ever answer texts, they suck. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN! :p

Another big help is how much genuinely good content there is to watch on YouTube now. Even if I didn't have Hulu/Netflix/Crackle/whatever, I have so many YouTube subscriptions that I would still never run out of fresh content to watch.

If you're a car guy and like to laugh while getting good info, I love Mighty Car Mods. Think Top Gear if it were a DIY car show like the shows on Power Block, complete with challenges even.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mightycarmods/