Time for brakes

Versluis

So its time to replace the pads and rotors on my R32. I've been searching around and to be honest, this is the first time I have had to buy brakes for my car.

So, I was looking on Tirerack.com and saw the Centric rotors. To my understanding, Centric makes Stoptech rotor and pads? Are these good rotors? They are a decent price but which would be the best for me? They have their 120 series rotor (98.00 each), High Carbon Plan 125 series (104.00 each) and then High Carbon Plan 125 Series Cyro-treated rotor (116.00 each.) http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp?autoMake=Volkswagen&autoModel=R32&autoYear=2008&autoModClar=

Lastly, any pad recommendation? I'm trying to keep this budget friendly while not loosing OEM performance. I do daily this car and do not track it. I would like a pad that gives off less brake dust.

My only gripe about going OEM pads is the fact of how much dust they give off. I have looked at HPS pads but after reading multiple reviews, they say they are terrible in the cold.

I can speak from experience on 2 cars, that especially with aftermarket rotors that run "cooler" (race 2 piece) the On cold 30/40 degree wet rainy days the HPS took a second to come back to life, which can scare you if you are not used to it.

It dust is a primary concern, not so much withstanding racing, get Ceramics..

Centric rotors are decent OEM replacements that I have used in the past without any real issues for street driving.

Whatever you're getting, avoid slotted or cross-drilled rotors and make sure they have a coating to prevent corrosion.

As far as pads, they all produce dust. The difference is in the color of the dust. Assuming that the car will never see autox or other track duty, find one that's most aggressive in the gray-dust group.

For best price Vs quality go with the Centric Premium (High Carbon) rotors. Nobody can beat our pricing on them (Or anything StopTech / PowerSlot / Centric for that matter). If you have a minute shoot me an email at: jeff@ipsmotorsports.net and I will shoot you over a quick quote,

Jeff

For best price Vs quality go with the Centric Premium (High Carbon) rotors. Nobody can beat our pricing on them (Or anything StopTech / PowerSlot / Centric for that matter). If you have a minute shoot me an email at: jeff@ipsmotorsports.net and I will shoot you over a quick quote,

Jeff

Sent email.

Just for my own knowledge what makes you want to go to an aggressive pad/rotor combo on a DD? As long as you aren't hooning the thing about there are certainly other alternatives and as Jeff has mentioned before there as several of us in the industry that can help you out on your purchases.

i've had good results with scratching my brake pads on a concrete surface before installation. seems to cut down on a ton of brake dust and is a good way to 'bed' the pads in.

I second it. Actually, if you rub your old rotors on concrete, they would come back to life and could be reused. On new rotors, they would last forever.

I had good success with Centric rotors and Hawk HPS pads. I went with the premium ones though. They lasted about 4 years and 60k before they needed to be machined. Held up to my heavy foot and a handful of autocross events.

Cost-wise, I got the rotors from IPS for $200 ( doubt they're offering that price again) and $130 for the pads from a Mazda aftermarket supplier.

Rubbing brake pads and rotors on concrete :dumb:

I heard if you leave them inside a magic pyramid for 5 minutes before installation they will never wear down.

Seriously, maybe if you glazed them over you could get rid of that by rubbing it on concrete. Otherwise you're just shortening the life of the pad.

Rubbing brake pads and rotors on concrete :dumb:

I heard if you leave them inside a magic pyramid for 5 minutes before installation they will never wear down.

Seriously, maybe if you glazed them over you could get rid of that by rubbing it on concrete. Otherwise you're just shortening the life of the pad.

Not sure if serious :ninja:

Some may not realize that's a long running CR joke.

I love my Hawk HTS pads. I have them on the GLI and A4/S4 and now LTS on the Touareg. Love how I don't have to clean the wheels much if at all. I wouldn't do ceramics since they can take a sec to heat up and bite. Also as you know mjm autohaus has the lowest cost on Hawk pads when you call and ask for the GP price for Audizine discount.

Nice to hear, Taylor. What pads and rotors did you end up with ?

Tom, I went with Centric Front High-Carbon / Premium Rotors and PosiQuiet Brake Pads. He recommended the pads because they would give me lower dust than my OEM pads or a "different color dust" but still give me OEM performance.

I guess a lot of guys are having those pads put on their C6Z's

I love my Hawk HTS pads. I have them on the GLI and A4/S4 and now LTS on the Touareg. Love how I don't have to clean the wheels much if at all. I wouldn't do ceramics since they can take a sec to heat up and bite. Also as you know mjm autohaus has the lowest cost on Hawk pads when you call and ask for the GP price for Audizine discount.

Trey I checked on there, but Jeff gave me a great deal and I couldn't pass it up.