Thanksgiving recipes thread

mrs.cos

The key to pie is homemade crust. My specialty...

PIE CRUST RECIPE

(2 crusts - top and bottom)

2 2/3 c. flour

1 t. salt

1 stick Crisco shortening (1 cup)

6 T. cold water

Add all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Cut through mixture with two knives, until shortening is in small pieces. Use spatula to scrape bowl--squeeze mixture until it forms a ball. (Don't give up, it takes a while.) Cut ball in half, reform ball and lay on floured wax paper. (If you take a damp dishcloth and wipe the counter with it, the wax paper won't slip.) Roll out and sprinkle flour on top of dough to keep it from sticking to the rolling pin. Roll dough larger than pie plate. Flip dough with wax paper over pie plate, and remove paper. Center and contour to pie plate and pinch overhang, if making a 1-crust pie.

Prick sides and bottom with a fork.To keep crust flat, you can lay parchment paper cut to size on top of the bottom crust. Bake at 425 for ten to fifteen minutes, or until golden. You may have to cover the edges with foil to keep from over- browning. (Follow this procedure if you are making crust for a cream pie.)

For a one-crust pie like the pumpkin, DON'T prick the crust. Bake according to recipe.

For a two-crust pie, roll out bottom crust, form to pie plate. Pour in filling, roll out and put second crust on top. You should have about a 1 inch overhang of crust. If more than that, trim off some. Pinch top and bottom crusts together, make slits in top crust for steam to escape. I usually let the pie bake for a while according to directions, then when the crust is as golden as I would like it, cover the whole pie with a piece of foil that you've poked holes in.

not cooking this year, but i saw a recipe for braising a turkey on America's Test Kitchen (awesome midnight show on PBS.) Looked super easy, cooks all the turkey parts evenly, and you don't have to make separate gravy. If i were to cook a turkey, i would do it this way.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/6830-braised-turkey-with-gravy

(you have to register with the website to access the recipe)

not cooking this year, but i saw a recipe for braising a turkey on America's Test Kitchen (awesome midnight show on PBS.) Looked super easy, cooks all the turkey parts evenly, and you don't have to make separate gravy. If i were to cook a turkey, i would do it this way.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/6830-braised-turkey-with-gravy

(you have to register with the website to access the recipe)

I love ATK.

Thanks!

One year we did a giant potluck but told people (about 20 or so) that we didn't want it to be a traditional Thanksgiving beyond the bird. We hosted and did a midsized turkey/stuffing/gravy, but everything else was random. We ended up with delicious enchiladas, perogies, jambalaya, grilled brussel sprouts and asparagus, cheesy broccoli, baked ziti, garlic truffle mashed potatoes, and a few other random things.

It was by far the best tasting Thanksgiving of my life.

Brine and bake the turkey the Alton Brown way. I'll never cook a turkey any other way. It's better than deep-fried.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

Edited by twistedfocus
Spelling

Brine and bake the turkey the Alton Brown way. I'll never make cook a turkey any other way. It's better than deep-fried.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

Haven't tried this, but all my best recipes are slightly tweaked versions of Alton Brown recipes that I just tweak to my tastes. That looks great.

Sausage Dressing. Once you have it you will never want another type of dressing/stuffing.

1 pound sage sausage

Celery ( several stalks)

2 cans chicken broth 49 1/2 oz

1 sack sage/onion bread dressing

Fry sausage up with celery that is cut into small pieces. Use Lots of celery, probably a whole stalk. Add fried up sausage and celery to a large bowl, add chicken broth and bread dressing. Mix together until bread is moist, may need to add more broth or a little water. Once moist, place in a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 375 degrees for aprox. 30 minutes. Bake until brown on top and no longer moist.

One year we did a giant potluck but told people (about 20 or so) that we didn't want it to be a traditional Thanksgiving beyond the bird. We hosted and did a midsized turkey/stuffing/gravy, but everything else was random. We ended up with delicious enchiladas, perogies, jambalaya, grilled brussel sprouts and asparagus, cheesy broccoli, baked ziti, garlic truffle mashed potatoes, and a few other random things.

It was by far the best tasting Thanksgiving of my life.

This sounds great. My family does steak and potatoes.