Mother-in-law wants an Acadia/Traverse/Enclave

caseyctsv

2009 was the year they added bluetooth which to me is crucial if I'm buying a new car. I would stick to a 2009 or newer if it's in her budget. We sell more new Acadias and Enclaves than any dealer in the state and take in almost as many on trade or lease turn ins. Let me know if I can help.

I would buy 2010+newer to avoid most of the timing chain problems seen from 07-09. We sell ours with a included Powertrain warranty included, and I feel its a must for that engine

Came to post this, I am not a fan of them at all, but if she really wants one make sure you have some warranty. I would suggest GMPP extended warranty if possible as this is basically a factory extension. These things suck about wearing out transmissions, having power steering noise, leaking steering racks, leaking power steering pumps, noisey brakes, and the early ones are horrible about timing chain stretch. If you do find one let me know and we'll see how it was treated with warranty claims.

Came to post this, I am not a fan of them at all, but if she really wants one make sure you have some warranty. I would suggest GMPP extended warranty if possible as this is basically a factory extension. These things suck about wearing out transmissions, having power steering noise, leaking steering racks, leaking power steering pumps, noisey brakes, and the early ones are horrible about timing chain stretch. If you do find one let me know and we'll see how it was treated with warranty claims.

GM :dumb:

I tried to talk her out of it for all of the reasons you mentioned. She just HAS to have one. (Several of her friends have them and she loves them). She needs a 3rd seat and is against what she REALLY needs...another minivan. She is dealing with a 2012 enclave right now....

Wife had a 2010 Traverse and put 50k miles on it and never had a single problem. Just bought her a 13 Acadia and it's just as nice. My biggest complaint is the gas mileage. It's really a joke. She averaged 16.5 in the AWD traverse and is getting 17.5 in her fwd Acadia. It's basically a mini van with different side doors, so there is no reason mileage shouldn't be better. But all in all they are great vehicles if you want comfortable seating for 6.

• 2 weeks later...
My mother-in-law has a 2010 or 2011 Enclave, it's got 75000 miles, she's getting about 14.2 MPG mostly driving from Worthington to Polaris pkwy or Delaware. It's had a transmission replaced in the last two months. I would advise away from it, but if she absolutely wants one. The traverse tends to sell for a little bit less for the same amount of options. Just strongly encourage a warranty.

So are there years to avoid? Obviously I have recommended she buy as new as possible but is there a year after which a major upgrade was added?

Yes,...ALL of them!

I have a coworker that bought one and it's been in the shop almost as long as he's owned it. I wouldn't walk but RUN her to another option if she needs a 3rd row...hell get her into a Suburban if she has to have a GM..

I'd recommend a lightly used Suburban or Yukon XL for the around the same cost. My dad had an 09 Enclave as his company car and loved it, and I will say it was super comfortable on the inside and had adequate power. But it's still a FWD car underneath and is carrying a LOT of weight for the V6 that's in it, and it definitely gets BAD MPG for being a "crossover."