Need Steak Grilling for Dummies Tips Please!

hpfiend

Hey all-

I will admit my track record with grilling anything is not stellar. Searching the forum, I have picked up this so far.

Buy quality meat from carfagnas-

Use coarse ground salt pepper and a little garlic powder or Tim Taylor's dry rub

Charcoal - not lighter fluid

6 min per side medium heat.

But as the devil is in the details...

What type of meat - filet, ribeye, not sure which two steaks make a t-bone, etc?

thickness/weight?

Cover the steak with salt/pepper rub or sprinkle it lightly over both sides? Tim Taylor's recipe has quantities but he shows one steak in the picture- put all of that on one steak?

And regarding medium heat would be what temperature wise ? Once charcoals are white, before? Should I use a meat thermometer - I do have one.

Lastly, grille top open or shut.

You won't offend me - the dumber the better-

THANKS!

Here's my method:

-Quality Ribeye or NY Strip. I aim for 1.25-1.5" thick.

-Allow steak to warm to room temp prior to throwing on grill (Leave out ~1hr. if thawed, which it should never be frozen)

-COVER w/ coarse sea salt and ground pepper, and garlic to taste

-LUMP charcoal. No lighter fluid

-Blazing hot grill; as hot as I can possibly get it. Use a cast iron grate if available.

-3-5 min/side depending on thickness. I aim for medium-rare, error on the side of rare.

-I allow it to rest for ~10min or so. It'll continue cooking a bit while it sits.

-Cut against the grain.

Different strokes, for different folks!

I am a firm believer in Lump Charcoal that is started in a Chimney.

That being said, season whatever yummy, tasty dead animal you want with your favorites. Sea Salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper are pretty much staples for Beef. I rub the Grill Grate w/ Peanut Oil just before putting the meat on.

Once your coals are white and ashy, the temps (at least in MY grill) are around 350* - 400*. Depending on the thickness of the steak, and the doneness wanted, just a few minutes is all it takes. If you have a Thermostat w/ a Temp Probe, use it to begin with to get a feel for what is going on.

Worst case... JERKY! :D Best case.... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Buy a thick ribeye.

Completely encrust the steak in quality sea salt.

Wrap the steak back up in its packaging and throw it on the counter for 40 min

Open the paper and rinse all the salt off.

Pat it dry.

Season with pepper and slight garlic and paprika

Grill or broil to medium rare temp.

Let rest for 10 mins and enjoy a perfectly salted/seasoned steak

the resting part is very important. it allows the still-piping hot juices to continue cooking/breaking down the meat inside without burning the outside of the steak.

i never get a steak thinner than 1", ideally as stated before 1.5" is ideal.

I prefer much less salt and more pepper (I use both black and white peppercorns) on the rub, I like the spice.

How are you broiling, nurk?

Start in hot frying pan w/ olive oil just long enough to seal in both sides and add a little scorch marks. Just a minute or two. Throw on salt and pepper.

Then onto broiler tray (the kind with slats for the juice to drip into a lower pan) for a few minutes on [as high as your broiler goes] on each side on highest rack. Some (a lot?) of steak houses broil them, btw.

I prefer 1" cuts or thicker, gas grill on full blast and let it get as hot as possible. Season to whatever you prefer on both sides. I like Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning on mine, the wife prefers seasoned salt or regular salt/pepper/garlic powder.

Put meat on after grill is fully heated, steaks as close to room temp as possible. Grill until the top surface just starts to turn color (3-5mins usually) then flip. Another 3-5 minutes then remove from heat and let sit at least 5-10 minutes. This is a good medium rare to medium usually, add about a minute or two per side for medium to medium-well. If you prefer well done, throw the steak in the trash after cooking since it's already ruined.

Don't forget to add a sweet vidalia onion on the grill or sauteed in a skillet to go with that steak. Then get some potatoes slice in half,put in microwave for a few minutes then place on the grill to get nice and brown on the outside. Now for butter I use only Land O Lakes real whipped butter.

Don't forget to add a sweet vidalia onion on the grill or sauteed in a skillet to go with that steak. Then get some potatoes slice in half,put in microwave for a few minutes then place on the grill to get nice and brown on the outside. Now for butter I use only Land O Lakes real whipped butter.

Do you place potatoes directly on the grill? I make a pouch out of foil and put some chopped garlic, rosemary, butter, salt and pepper in and let them cook that way.

EDIT: Also real butter is a must, agreed.

Do you place potatoes directly on the grill? I make a pouch out of foil and put some chopped garlic, rosemary, butter, salt and pepper in and let them cook that way.

EDIT: Also real butter is a must, agreed.

Yes directly on the grill. For large potatoes I put them in the microwave for around 5 minutes depending on how many you have. I usually do about 4-5 large ones. Now they have started to cook. Then just slice them in half. Spray some Canola oil on them(non stick cooking spray) or even brush on some cooking oil. Leave the skins on of course. This will help them get crispy on the outsides. Put them right on a hot grill. Cook them as long as you want,both sides. I like mine almost burnt. Now they are ready. Kill them with butter,salt,pepper.

We have done the foil wrap way also with peppers and onions. That way is more of a steam cook though. I like the open on the grill way better.

I have no idea what I am doing, but I found something that works. On both sides of the steak, I first put garlic butter. Then throw on some steak rub. Next step is I put teriyaki sauce on both sides. I do everything in a bowl so I can flip it over and smear shit around. I microwave the steak for 45 seconds to get the fluids going. I put it in the oven at 350 until it is ready. The steaks come out so tender, that I pretty much dont need a knife to cut them.

The garlic butter I use is made by Chef Sammy

Here's my method:

-Quality Ribeye or NY Strip. I aim for 1.25-1.5" thick.

-Allow steak to warm to room temp prior to throwing on grill (Leave out ~1hr. if thawed, which it should never be frozen)

-COVER w/ coarse sea salt and ground pepper, and garlic to taste

-LUMP charcoal. No lighter fluid

-Blazing hot grill; as hot as I can possibly get it. Use a cast iron grate if available.

-3-5 min/side depending on thickness. I aim for medium-rare, error on the side of rare.

-I allow it to rest for ~10min or so. It'll continue cooking a bit while it sits.

-Cut against the grain.

Most perfect method in the thread so far. :)

Buy a thick ribeye.

Completely encrust the steak in quality sea salt.

Wrap the steak back up in its packaging and throw it on the counter for 40 min

Open the paper and rinse all the salt off.

Pat it dry.

Season with pepper and slight garlic and paprika

Grill or broil to medium rare temp.

Let rest for 10 mins and enjoy a perfectly salted/seasoned steak

I would use kosher salt for what you are doing. The purpose of kosher salt is exactly what you are describing, and it does this job better than sea salt.

Yes directly on the grill. For large potatoes I put them in the microwave for around 5 minutes depending on how many you have. I usually do about 4-5 large ones. Now they have started to cook. Then just slice them in half. Spray some Canola oil on them(non stick cooking spray) or even brush on some cooking oil. Leave the skins on of course. This will help them get crispy on the outsides. Put them right on a hot grill. Cook them as long as you want,both sides. I like mine almost burnt. Now they are ready. Kill them with butter,salt,pepper.

We have done the foil wrap way also with peppers and onions. That way is more of a steam cook though. I like the open on the grill way better.

You can boil potatoes for a bit before cooking them in ANY way, and they will be cooked inside so all you need to do is cook the outside to your perfect color/temp; this works especially well for fried potatoes so they are never undercooked inside and are always perfectly golden on the outside. The length of time you boil them is dependent upon how big the piece is and what you want to do with it. I recommend boiling and then refrigerating overnight to remove the water.

I have no idea what I am doing, but I found something that works. On both sides of the steak, I first put garlic butter. Then throw on some steak rub. Next step is I put teriyaki sauce on both sides. I do everything in a bowl so I can flip it over and smear shit around. I microwave the steak for 45 seconds to get the fluids going. I put it in the oven at 350 until it is ready. The steaks come out so tender, that I pretty much dont need a knife to cut them.

Replace 'microwave' with 'allow to sit 45 minutes at room temperature' and I like this method a lot better. I also put my dry ingredients on meat AFTER allowing it to soak, so that the marinade doesn't wash off the dry seasoning.