College Football Thread v4.0

bicranium

I wouldn't take him either, DE is not an area of high need at this point. Now if he wants to play OT then maybe you take a chance on him, but as others have said I only want kids who really want to be here. I don't want some kid who settled on OSU as a compromise with his parents.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't take him either, DE is not an area of high need at this point. Now if he wants to play OT then maybe you take a chance on him, but as others have said I only want kids who really want to be here. I don't want some kid who settled on OSU as a compromise with his parents.

I remember a saying during the Tressel era where people would justify taking plan B type kids when plan A went elsewhere with "I only want kids who want to be Buckeyes."

To clarify, I don't think that applies to this situation. Sure, I'd love it if every kid on the roster bled scarlet and gray and wasn't just using the school as a springboard to the NFL but I'll take kids who are doing the latter if they've got NFL talent which leads to W's.

The saying I'd use here is "I don't want kids who so obviously and publicly want to be somewhere else."

Moving on to the 2015 class, I'm going to use a an informed OSU poster's way too early projection for how that class ends up...

QB - Torrance Gibson

RB - Damien Harris

RB - LJ Scott

WR - Devante Peete

WR - Van Jefferson

ATH - Eric Glover-Williams

TE - CJ Conrad

TE - Chris Clark

OL - Drew Richmond

OL - Sterling Jenkins

OL - Steven Gonzalez

OL - James Daniels

DL - Ricky DeBerry

DL -Christian Wilkins

DL - Adam McLean

DL - Dre'Mont Jones

LB - Jerome Baker

LB - Nick Conner

LB - Sh'Mar Kilby-Lane

DB - Jordan Whitehead

DB - Shaun Crawford

DB - Jamel Dean

Kids in bold obviously already committed. Final list will look nothing like that but hey, it's fun to look at so there you go.

Wow, so many people were excited when OSU landed him. Didn't his little brother commit to Ohio State for basketball?

Yes and unless Mike does the sit out a year thing and comes back to OSU, Mickey won't be at OSU either. Tough situation for their family so I just hope everything works out. He and his family loved OSU but these medical problems have been lingering even since before he committed to OSU. At one point they had to delay their official visit to OSU because his father wasn't cleared to fly.

And another commit for 2015... 3* safety Ben Edwards out of Florida.

From the same school as 5* LB Jeffery Holland. There are some out there who believe 5* QB from Florida Torrance Gibson could commit to OSU on a summer visit and I guess he and Holland are friends and even before the Edwards commit people thought with a Gibson commit that Holland would jump OSU to the top of his list. Have to think this is just another positive as far as all of that is concerned. 2 Florida DB's already and Gibson's teammate who, at least here in the very early stages, says he wants to play on the same team as Gibson is a very high 4* DB himself.

Edwards' highlights...

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1447178/highlights/64039377

Lots of potential targeting fouls in there. I love it.

Edwards has a crazy offer list. Auburn, UF, FSU, Stanford, UCLA, scUM, Notre Dame

Have to believe he ends up a mid to high 4*. Marc Givler from Rivals asked him about his highlight video and jokingly asked if the kids he hit were still alive. Edwards responded, "Yeah, they still living. Did break a kid's sternum though."

:lolguy::fuckyeah:

And quick reaction to all of this is that things are definitely sounding good for Holland now. Would definitely make up for Justin Hilliard likely not coming to OSU if they just go and pull a 5* LB out of Florida. Could be 5+ kids in this class from Florida.

Also, 5* RB Damien Harris (former Michigan commit) is in Columbus tonight for the OSU-Michigan hoops game.

Watching the Edwards' highlight film - and loving it. He seems very athletic to me. Looks to have a lot of "closing" speed. Of course it also looks like likes to go for the knockout blow every time. I'm okay with that, though. He seems athletic and solid. Not sure why, but he reminds me of the athletic, very nasty USC defensive backfields that they fielded in the early to mid 2000's.

Watching it too, dude seems like a monster.

Only thing I don't like: he doesn't really wrap anyone up. He has some major hits, but those won't work as well in college against superior talent. He needs to learn to wrap and drive because he won't be the big boy on campus anymore.

Only thing I don't like: he doesn't really wrap anyone up. He has some major hits, but those won't work as well in college against superior talent. He needs to learn to wrap and drive because he won't be the big boy on campus anymore.

I read he was a 4* already...either way he looks like a kid that likes to hit and that's a great thing for a safety.

I use the 247 composite for all rankings at this point. He's a 4* on Rivals but a 3* everywhere else right now but I think he'll end up a 4* everywhere.

Similarly, Sh'mar Kilby-Lane who most believe will end up at OSU is a 4* on Scout I think and not even ranked anywhere else yet but has recently been offered by Bama, LSU, UF, Miami, etc. OSU was in on him back in November.

NCAA proposing a rule that prohibits the offense from snapping the ball in the first 10 seconds of the 40 second play clock. Basically, if you have the ball you have to wait 10 seconds before you can snap the ball. I really don't see how that's going to work when a team is rushing to stop the clock... I swear the NCAA gets dumber by the day

NCAA proposing a rule that prohibits the offense from snapping the ball in the first 10 seconds of the 40 second play clock. Basically, if you have the ball you have to wait 10 seconds before you can snap the ball. I really don't see how that's going to work when a team is rushing to stop the clock... I swear the NCAA gets dumber by the day

It wouldn't be in effect for the last 2 minutes of each half so hurrying up to stop the clock wouldn't be affected. Which is funny since they're saying they're doing it for health concerns/fatigue so at the very end of the game when players are most fatigued this "protective" rule won't be in effect.

The people deciding this thing say they've watched a couple games worth of film and have only seen 1 or 2 times where there would have been a penalty. I'd like to re-watch something like Auburn-Mizzou or Auburn-A&M to see how many penalties would have been called.

Of course, no surprise Saban and Bielema are front and center supporting this rule.