I rented a Passat and I liked it.

carl1647545492

Randy and myself live on polar opposites of experiences. ( Like Mr. Glass & Unbreakable) :)

I've had 1 trouble vehicle (C5 A6, repaired under warranty on all cases).

The rest have been pretty much bulletproof.

Sold my A4 2.0T with almost 160K of stage2+ abuse on it. Did everything better than new. Needed 1 $15 coil pack it's entire life.

New owner still happily chugging along and will probably go 200k with nothing but oil changes and timing belts.

B5 S4 was over 160K miles of stage3+ making almost double the stock crank HP to the tires. Still providing it's new owner will smiles every day.

S8 had no issues, even the solar sunroof and rear shades worked at well over 100K.

Never took the B8 S4, Or Q7 beyond 100k but they were equally as trouble free, despite my constant abuse. :)

Again anything built after 2001.5 audi or vw is worlds better. If you are cheap and or skip on maintenance you will have issues. If you want to drive a beater get a honda.

Umm...again, mine were '01 and '02. Maintenance was done on both. I see the newer gen's are better though. 1.8t is fun...when nothing is broken.

Randy and myself live on polar opposites of experiences. ( Like Mr. Glass & Unbreakable) :)

I've had 1 trouble vehicle (C5 A6, repaired under warranty on all cases).

The rest have been pretty much bulletproof.

Sold my A4 2.0T with almost 160K of stage2+ abuse on it. Did everything better than new. Needed 1 $15 coil pack it's entire life.

New owner still happily chugging along and will probably go 200k with nothing but oil changes and timing belts.

B5 S4 was over 160K miles of stage3+ making almost double the stock crank HP to the tires. Still providing it's new owner will smiles every day.

S8 had no issues, even the solar sunroof and rear shades worked at well over 100K.

Never took the B8 S4, Or Q7 beyond 100k but they were equally as trouble free, despite my constant abuse. :)

Are Audis more reliable than VWs? I mean, I know they're "the same thing", but is more put into the engineering/building? Srs question.

Like I said, I've had horrible LUCK with them. I don't think ALL VWs are this way, but I can't afford to find out again. :)

Umm...again, mine were '01 and '02. Maintenance was done on both. I see the newer gen's are better though. 1.8t is fun...when nothing is broken.

Are Audis more reliable than VWs? I mean, I know they're "the same thing", but is more put into the engineering/building? Srs question.

Like I said, I've had horrible LUCK with them. I don't think ALL VWs are this way, but I can't afford to find out again. :)

The platforms that share the drivelines (2.0t, 4.2, 3.6) are all the same pretty much hardware wise. Aaron has had fantastic luck with his VW's.

I'm dailying a '13 VW Passat right now, I'll let you know how it goes.

First 13k have been trouble free.

I have a question about the 2.0t. Does it suffer the same oil sludge issues the older 1.8t's did?

short answer no, not even close to the same motor.

vw/audi parts are basically the same, some part #'s just have different specs but are manufactured the same. Audi will have more performance options.

I have an 02 Jetta with 150k. no issues only oil changes and a timing belt at 120k

I had a stageII+ 06 GTI 2.0T with 75k. no issues besides a torn early revision model DV, didnt even do the cam follower recall.

2010 Tiguan 50k no issues just oil changes and a recent haldex flush/service

2013 Passat CC 2.0T 14k no issues besides wrecking my lower control arm/tie rod/wheel bearing on Friday. Cost me 1k today.

being in control from day 1 of the car helps, personally I wouldnt go for a used audi/vw because things can add up $$$ quickly.

Both used, I'll give you that, but both with maintenance records and a clean Car Fax.

being in control from day 1 of the car helps, personally I wouldnt go for a used audi/vw because things can add up $$$ quickly.

+1

It's very hard for me to even think about buying a used car these days, especially down south. A big problem right now is all the flood damage cars and these companies buying them, shipping them across a few states trying to repair them and sell them as a clean car. I see it all the time down here. Not saying that is the case, but major issues like that always come to mind when more than normal problems arise especially with a USED vehicle...

The platforms that share the drivelines (2.0t, 4.2, 3.6) are all the same pretty much hardware wise. Aaron has had fantastic luck with his VW's.

I'm dailying a '13 VW Passat right now, I'll let you know how it goes.

First 13k have been trouble free.

Is your '13 Passat a diesel? I've been looking at these due to MPG vs. size. My commute went from 17 miles to 47 miles each way since last year.

Is your '13 Passat a diesel? I've been looking at these due to MPG vs. size. My commute went from 17 miles to 47 miles each way since last year.

Yes, TDi 6MT.

Really the only car this size you can get with a Diesel & 6MT.

I drive 31 miles each way everyday. Literally spend 1/2 of less of the money I used to on fuel. Plus, free maintenance, it's a no brainer.

I really like the 2.5 in my rabbit. Sounds great with a catback.

Plenty of torque.

Mileage is mehh. (Newer cars have better gear ratios to help this)

At 100k now with minimal issues. ( I've owned it since 75k)

Just added a tune from c2 which improved the throttle hang and improved the mileage a bit.

I'd like a tdi, just couldn't justify the price premium. Especially now that this thing is paid for.

All I have to say is these things are great! Really wished they would do an AWD one, but that is like asking for a TDI A4 for the states. Love that the passat has remote start on the upper level too. The American designed VW built in America ;)

My only complaint with the car is you can't get the Bi-Xenon headlights in the US... :(

Agreed

pretty sure my '13 passat cc has bi-xenon

They do, but as you know, its no longer the Passat CC, its just CC. Second of all, you have been the only one talking about the CC in this thread lol. As you again know, its a B6 passat with a different shape, totally different car.

So if its a B6 passat with a different shape then how is it a totally different car and not a passat? I was under the impression the cc was just a loaded passat coupe but the platform was the exact same and that they just dropped the passat name part of the refresh .

So if its a B6 passat with a different shape then how is it a totally different car and not a passat? I was under the impression the cc was just a loaded passat coupe but the platform was the exact same and that they just dropped the passat name part of the refresh .

The US 12+ Passat is called the NMS (made in america, for america only), and is a totally different chassis than the overseas B7 Passat. You have a CC, which is based on the old B6 "global" chassis.