Bad Dream: The New 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

My Ws6

Great job, very creative. I love the puddle of coolant, that's a special touch. :thumbup:

hahah! Thanks!

You made this?

I did!

He really did.

Old stuff

You should post current work here more Jeff.

Thanks! :)

This was a fun one to make. Most of my car stuff is racing, this was cool to tell a story.

Thanks for watching guys!

So someone explain to me the "stingray" deal. I thought that used to be a package deal, so why are all these C7 vetted called stingrays. Seems like simple marketing to me.

I can only answer part of the question. I don't know anything about newer Corvettes. Perhaps someone familiar with them can add-on.

The Sting Ray or Stingray name was added with the C2 Corvettes (around 1963). Names of fish were in style then (think Barracuda, Marlin, Mako), just as aviation themes had been popular the decade earlier. One of the designers of the C2 Corvette had sponsored a Corvette racecar called the Mitchell Sting Ray a few years earlier, and he influenced the addition of the name. The C2's were the first Corvette coupes, and the rear deck had a very pronounced taper and split rear window.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/1963-corvette-split-window-black_zps8ec6dadb.jpg

For 15 years all Corvettes were Stingrays, although of course the styling evolved. Around 1976-77 the name was dropped. I don't recall the term ever being applied to an option package, but someone more familiar with the newer models will have to pick the story up from here.

Wel That makes a lot of sense right there. I didn't realize they were all called Stingrays for years.....I would think it would have been more based on a package using typical car marketing schemes, but I guess this time its just a name.....Just seems odd.