Home Theater Receiver

mrs.cos

our current setup is nice for our needs (we are not super audiophiles)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gdjtiX7sQvd/p_133SCHT940/Panasonic-SC-HT940.html#details-tab

We'd like to upgrade the receiver. We Dont need a 5disc CD changer anymore, but we could use some more HDMI ports.

We are currently look at these two to replace the unit. (speakers are staying for now)

We were happy with the ouput of our current setup, dont need more, but dont want less.. I have no clue what im looking at anymore when it comes to this.. so help a sister out and help us pick our new receiver.

(200-250$ is our max price)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7X2OW6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=BPUS5FVJRNAB&coliid=I3TTUOHQX7HGII

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR313-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V8930/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1388108949&sr=1-2

I go through this alot with home theater clients. Theres a few things to think about and consider when making changes in your setup. Its really pretty simple but alot easier to go over in a five minute conversation than a two page question and answer via typing. Feel free to contact me anytime at 614-507-8183.

I have a 2-year old Denon receiver and it's amazing, I love it. Honestly though, I doubt you could go wrong with either of those, they are both good brands, but I would buy the Onkyo just because I wouldn't want one of my 4 outputs wasted on being on the front of the thing. That's pretty stupid.

I don't have the balls for it...

Lol, yeah they're spendy. The roommate has one, an Oppo bluray, Monitor Audio speakers and a Space sub in an Advent powered box. It's kind of cobbled together but damn it's like having an Imax theater at home.:megusta:

As an Onkyo fan, go with the Denon. Better value for the money.

It's going to chew up those 4 ohm speakers the moment you crank it though.

Yep...ditch that Panasonic set up and add this in and you will thank me later. Come listen to ours anytime Trish. I'm still blown away by them for the money. I've had it cranked to peak volume during movies and music for shits and giggles; it will make you leave the room, your chest will thump from the sub and it won't distort. I drive it with an older Onkyo DS-777 for the kids in a lower level room that's 26' x 18'.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-htp-3-51-home-theater-package-12-powered-subwoofer--300-696

Speakers are low on our list of things - they will eventually be replaced but for now in want to focus on the reciever

Okay, understookd, but you run the risk of putting the receiver into a protection mode. If you have a XXX watt amplifier rated for an 8 ohm load, that means it will have a maximum current of say 3.5 amps. If you put a 4 ohm speaker on it then you are still going to be limited to that 3.5 amps which means you can only draw 50% of the XXX watts out of it before it starts to distort. Now, that may be all you need. Nothing wrong with trying it at low volume levels and see what it sounds like. It is not the ideal situation.

Check on the back of the speakers if they have binding posts to enable them to be hooked to an 8ohm system. I doubt these do though.

All in all, I wouldn't expect them to sound good hooked to those receivers if they are only 4ohms.

Looking at the two receivers, I'd go with the Denon in this case. Has more power and won't likely be as stressed. Will likely run Hot given the setup, which is to be expected. However, Onkyo's do too. You've seen the one I have in our upper level family room and it powers my 7.1 Surround Sound Paradims and dual subs just great but it keeps the room toasty :) Edited by TTQ B4U

Trish I took Tim's advice on the speakers and they remain crystal clear even at ear-bleed levels.

However, don't buy their speaker stands.. (specifically these). They didn't come with matching screws in the kit. I found some elsewhere, but the miniscule weight of a satellite speaker was too much for the tiny little plastic piece they attach to and it randomly snapped one day, about a month after install.

Having had experience with both Onkyo and Denon receivers, you can't go wrong with either but I tend to gravitate towards Denon. My audiophile friends have pushed me this way, and I have never been disappointed, including the one I currently own.

Go with whatever one has the features you think you'd use more.

Having had experience with both Onkyo and Denon receivers, you can't go wrong with either but I tend to gravitate towards Denon. My audiophile friends have pushed me this way, and I have never been disappointed, including the one I currently own.

Go with whatever one has the features you think you'd use more.

I think this is great advice honestly. I am very much a HT nerd and have owned both Denon and Onkyo receivers in the last eight years (not either of the ones posted by the OP).

I have noticed (my own experience) that Onkyo tends to give more options, such as extra HDMI inputs/outputs, codecs, and others, than most major receivers but do run a LOT hotter than most others and tend to not put out as much true wattage per channel as claimed.

Denon is a great all around receiver. User interface is pretty intuitive and they do not overrate their wattage as much. You may sacrifice an HDMI input or two and a few other frills but honestly most average home users don't need them any ways. The Denon audio calibration tends to be more accurate IMO as well.

Pavo

You may sacrifice an HDMI input or two and a few other frills but honestly most average home users don't need them any ways. The Denon audio calibration tends to be more accurate IMO as well.

Just look at what you need today and might in the near future. I don't regret having all the HDMI inputs as we have a need. Cable, BluRay, Roku, Gaming, computer, etc. Although I have an automatic expansion/switch on our lower level system and it works great. Bluetooth is also something we enjoy having as both the PC and phone can stream effortlessly....aka wife and kids now can do it :p

Good calibration is key no doubt. Most of the nicer ones will do it automatically even. Just set up the mic on a tripod and go.

Trish I took Tim's advice on the speakers and they remain crystal clear even at ear-bleed levels.

However, don't buy their speaker stands.. (specifically these). They didn't come with matching screws in the kit. I found some elsewhere, but the miniscule weight of a satellite speaker was too much for the tiny little plastic piece they attach to and it randomly snapped one day, about a month after install.

How long have you had them? What receiver are you running?

Trish, this is the receiver that I've been using for a couple years and it's been perfect, no complaints.

I got it for half that price on woot.com, what I love most about it is that I can attach different audio inputs to different video inputs. Want to play PS3 but listen to records? Can do. What I used to do was watch CBJ games with George Matthews calling the game from the radio feed.