Electrical circuit board places

BIGGU

I'm looking for a place in Columbus that does electrical repairs. The dash in my soarer has some issues that in trying to get fixed. The issue is the engine temp, fuel level,trip meter and a few other small items don't light up and since it is a digital display you get the picture. I replaced the dash with one from an automatic and it worked so I know it's the cluster.

I'm sure it's just a capacitor that needs replaced but I'm not sure. I would just buy another 5 speed cluster except the 5 speed version of the car is stupid rare so it may be easier to repair it.

If you don't know what's wrong I'm not sure how some place that just works on 'electronics repair' is going to fix it. They won't have it as a full working unit (dash needs to be in car to 'work) to diagnosis... maybe when they look at it, it will be obvious. Is there anything obvious? Electrolytic caps (the ones that usually fail, usually cylindrical in shape) can puke their guts out, sometimes also damaging the board.

Places that work on old stereo equipment come to mind. Those guys are usually very good at repairing electronics, as they usually have to repair rather than replace.

This place is down the street from me, but I've never used them before.

http://stereolabservice.com/

My dad's had Needle in a Haystack work on his old equipment a few times.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Needle+In+A+Haystack&hq=needle+in+a+haystack+columbus

Edited by Trouble Maker

I'm sure it's similar to the capacitors that you likely already have encountered in some of the early 90's Toyota/Lexus cars that leak. That's what I'd put my money on. I know a few Celica Supra guys with digital dash's had similar issues, and it ended up being a capacitor leaking.

I've opened the gauge and looked at it most the capacitors look fine however one looks a bit puffy at the top and I'm suspecting that's the issue, I just don't know how comfy I feel doing it myself.

There is a guy that comes to our auction and fixes dashes and electrical gauges all the time. His name is Brandon Williams, does good work for not to expensive. I believe he works part time at car source now in grove city. I will grab his number tomorrow at work for ya.

I've opened the gauge and looked at it most the capacitors look fine however one looks a bit puffy at the top and I'm suspecting that's the issue, I just don't know how comfy I feel doing it myself.

Caps should never "look puffy," plain and simple. A good cap will be either completely flat, or (less common) slightly concave, but whether or not this is actually the cause....

If you can find the circuit diagram for the dash, anybody familiar with circuit boards should be able to fix it. If its just the one capacitor its not too hard to pull out yourself with a solder gun and replace with a new one, probably a 5 minute fix. I solder boards at least once a week on my communications equipment.