Free to a good home: Toy Poodle

Otis Nice

The wife has decided with our first born on the way it's time to let the little guy go. It's not that we CAN'T have a small dog and child, but with our schedules as they are already there have been days here and there when he's been home alone for extended periods of time (free to roam, not caged) and we don't think dogs should be ignored. Having a child will only consume more of our time.

He's ~9 years old and extremely well behaved. He knows the commands "sit", "go to bed", "do you need to go out?" (or "do you need to go potty?"), and is very loving. I trained him from when he was a puppy to the point that no matter what he is doing he will stop, sit, and look at me when I simply snap my fingers. When we do let him out we let him out loose and have no fence. He doesn't wander far to do his business and NEVER strays. He'll sit right on the porch waiting to be let back in. When I go for a walk or to take the trash out he literally circles me as I go. We only use a leash if we're walking along a road or a park where there are other people as he likes to meet new people and make new friends.

He is great with calmer children but since his entire life has been spent with 2 adults he can get stressed around hyperactive children or large groups of hyper children. He's great with adults. Not that he could do any harm, but he has never bitten anyone or anything. He's not a guard dog. Hahaha. Other hyper dogs also stress him out, but not dogs in general. He was often around my brothers spaniel and never had an issue.

He doesn't eat table scraps well. They tear up his stomach. The only time he has "accidents" indoors anywhere (he's with me in my office for the day now) is when he's stressed, left alone too long (much longer than your normal work day), or sick (also not often, "people" food seems to do the trick though). He occasionally has seizures. We were told to pick him up and hold him until they subside (don't know if this was the best advice or not, I'm not a trainer/expert) so I want that to be known up front. After holding him for a minute or two he'll run off and be playful as ever.

He is champion bred (at least one champion in the last 5 generations in his bloodline) if that matters to you, but we have lost the papers. He's smart and loves attention. If interested let me know. We'll provide his bed, food and water dish, toys, and whatever food we have at the time (eats VERY little).

If someone decides to take him and for whatever reason things don't work out I'll take him back. He's been a good dog and I don't want him or his owners to be stressed. He deserves a good home.

This isn't a picture of him but is exactly what he looks like, except he's a little older so he's got some gray under the chin.

http://go.liverfoundation.org/images/cvupload/26/220/cv_61_53528.jpg

Looks like a great dog, not to change the thread, but a neighbor of mine has a similar dog that was having seizures. She changed the dog's food to an organic food and the episodes went away.

Good to know. Since we're changing to organic maybe I should look into that for him. Thanks for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...