How to deal with a coyote in town.......... Back counter perhaps?

cstmg8

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there were no pets involved, I would leave it alone. I just got a dog and have trail cams up around the wood line to know what is coming around that could be an issue with my dog. If I see anything that would be, it has to go. Fortunately, I'm outside city limits, so I have more options for removal.

Nothing good is going to come out of a coyote coming that close to the house with pets. I may be willing to loan the right tool for the job.

Is this the first time you have seen this animal? Sounds like a Semi Suburban enviroment?

First I'd make sure your property is clean of any attractions; Trash cans are secure or in a garage, dog food is not left outside, and your landscape is free of atractive hiding spots(tall grass, over grown bushes n-such.) They primarily eat mice, ground hogs, rabbits and other rodents so the less of them you have around the better. They do also consume fruits veggies and trash.

If you see it again scare it. If it's at a safe distance take a step outside your door make yourself big (arms out chest out) and yell as mean and loud as you can, even throw rocks at it. Don't approach it just let it see you. Mounting a motion sensor light may help scare it off at night when your sleeping.

Wolves are Coyotes natural enemies. Placing wolf urine in areas its been hanging out may keep it away

You could try and trap it but this will prove to be difficult as they are cautious animals. Cage traps won't work. The DOW often recomends you euthenise it after being trapped rather than relocating it.

Poison is an option but not a recomended one as it's considered inhumane by some and posses a deadly risk to other living things.

You really don't want this thing making a den out of your foundation or in your yard, let alone it thinking its a great spot for a midnight snack.

Call the DOW or Animal Control first.

If okayed and a must, shoot it with a large enough caliber bullet. Shot should be taken by an expert marksmen.

Hahaha, thanks for all the replies, both funny and serious. As stated, I grew up on a farm so I'm familiar with wild animals. I am an animal lover, but also have done a lot of hunting.

I enjoy watching the wildlife around our house, and the land is a big reason we bought this house. I counted fifteen deer going across the ravine Superbowl night, and we have a snow white squirrel that frequents the back yard. My main concern with the coyote is the dogs, and that we are expecting a child in July. We'll see if it comes back, if it makes a habit of it then it needs to go, and I will do so.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced similar or had ideas, CR did not disappoint!

Obviously the people here offering advice do not know much about coyotes. I live in a coyote infested area. I see them frequently. The chances of that guy having interaction with your dogs is so slim it is retarded. My dog scares multiple coyotes away at just the sight of her. They do not go looking for fights. One coyote is not going to interact with 3 dogs. When people hear about coyotes killing deer and other large animals they are uslually leaving much information out like the deer being a newborn or already injured.

Chances are if you would have yelled at it you would never see it again. If it was me I would shoot it but with what would depend on what I grabbed in the moment. I am not in a neighborhood either and I love hunting them. My second plan would be to snare it or just leave it alone and not worry about it.

I think it's strange that a coyote would venture around your property in the daylight. Was it hunting something (can't tell what it has in the fire pit). I've always been taught to be extra cautious of a coyote that doesn't stay 'out of sight', because it may be sick (in which case your REALLY don't want it anywhere near your dogs).

Pretty or not, animal lover or not, nothing good is going to come from one that is bold enough to make repeat visits to your yard. I heard coyote skins are still fetching good $$$, :) .

I think it's strange that a coyote would venture around your property in the daylight. Was it hunting something (can't tell what it has in the fire pit). I've always been taught to be extra cautious of a coyote that doesn't stay 'out of sight', because it may be sick (in which case your REALLY don't want it anywhere near your dogs).

Pretty or not, animal lover or not, nothing good is going to come from one that is bold enough to make repeat visits to your yard. I heard coyote skins are still fetching good $$$, :) .

Coyotes hunt more in the day than people think. I see them more in the day than I hear them at night. They can be worth some good money too.

BTW, to all those saying to yell at it, I did. Then when it didn't run, at all, I went in and put my shoes on, grabbed the closest club I could find (3-4 ft 2x4), and went out after it. By no means did it let me get close enough to take a swing, but I had to go into the yard after it before it would take off!

Also, they're paying $50 for coyote pelts around Athens right now. Hell, raccoons are $20.

This coyote obviously has authority issues. I'd make it write "I will obey the human owner of this house" 20 times on the chalboard you'll install in your newly finished brick hut.

Alternate hypothesis: this coyote is deaf. In which case you'll need to employ a deaf coyote interpreter to sign your yells and insults so that he understands.

Coyotes hunt more in the day than people think. I see them more in the day than I hear them at night. They can be worth some good money too.

Yup, same goes for me.

There is some wooded area out towards new albany I used to take my dogs to on the weekends, and especially during the winter, we would always see coyotes. Usually late morning to early afternoon. Good looking too. Looked big enough to be wolves. Some of the biggest I have ever seen.