CR Stock Watch

Tractor

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too. How much lower will it go? $15.xx? I bought some at $18.20 and getting nervous. I know being a commodity it can't go to $0, but still worry me.

I bought some at 15.xx earlier in the year and sold around 20. I'm not sure it will get that low again, so I will probably try to buy in the $16.xx range. As far as the risk, oil can be a "no brainer" purchase here, but you need to have time on your side. I am planning on buying what I feel comfortable keeping for a while and history tells me I will have an opportunity in the next 2-3 years or less to sell it for at least double. I may sell sooner depending on profits I see and other opportunities, but with this play time is your friend.

I really appreciate the work that Mike Maloney has been doing over the years to call attention to current and future market issues.

This was him at a Sochi bankers conference talking about oil deflation

He mentions it again in this video

I can see where he has his points, and was technically right about oil, but if you acted when he warned in 2010 you would have been in for a shit few years until the end of 2014. I guess that is the difficult part of investing, even if you know something is wrong there is no timing the market.

On an exciting note I decided, after a few months of research and trying to fully understand the concept, to purchase my first bitcoin today. Just a few that I am putting away in case it really takes off and I'm like, I wish I had bought just a few way back when.

Well im a little late to the game, bought my first stocks ever yesterday/today. Any one have any tips for a newbie looking to not lose his ass?

Bought some HAL yesterday, and some BOA today. Looking to purchase some RAD and KO shortly.

Well im a little late to the game, bought my first stocks ever yesterday/today. Any one have any tips for a newbie looking to not lose his ass?

Bought some HAL yesterday, and some BOA today. Looking to purchase some RAD and KO shortly.

My only advice is play with your own money.

As opposed to what other options?

Sometimes you open an account some brokers will match your deposite. Let say you go to Scottrade open an account with $25k deposited. Scottrade will give you another $25k in your account so you now have $50k to trade. It's fine and dandy if your trade is making money but if your trade is loosing money Scottrade will force you to sell your stock to cover.

Sometimes you open an account some brokers will match your deposite. Let say you go to Scottrade open an account with $25k deposited. Scottrade will give you another $25k in your account so you now have $50k to trade. It's fine and dandy if your trade is making money but if your trade is loosing money Scottrade will force you to sell your stock to cover.

Ahh yea forget that, not playing with other peoples money, just mine.

I've found over the past 20yrs trading stocks that individual stocks are much more predictable in the very short term via technical data and then get predictable again in the longer term by reading fundamentals. To me at least there is a "grey" area of days to weeks that is pretty hard to predict unless very specific circumstances occur and then those are the stocks which I make huge profits on.

As for my short term trades I aim for accuracy first and let profit sort itself.

Long term stuff, I just research what I can and hope for the best.

1. Decide what you are. Are you a long-term investor, day trader, value investor, growth minded? How long do you want to keep a stock you purchase for? A week, month, year, day, doesn't matter? Decide what exactly you want to do to make money in the market, read about and learn from someone else who is good at doing it the way you want to, then develop a specific plan around how you will do it. For example, I can tell that I am a different kind of investor than Tractor. We both may do equally well in our overall portfolios but if I tried to do what he does I wouldn't be as successful as him and vice versa.

2. Follow your own rules. Once you decide what you are and what criteria you will look for to buy something follow those rules. Almost every time I have broken one of the rules I made for myself I have lost money.

3. Invest in things and companies that you know at least a little. Don't know sh*t about banks? Don't invest in bank stocks. Don't know shit about frozen concentrated orange juice? Don't invest in it. Etc......

4. Learn about the theory of sunk costs. Easier to conceptualize and see how it makes sense than to actually make a smart move dumping a loser. If a position I took has taken a loss, I either buy more or sell everything, there is no other logical choice.

If I had to describe myself as an investor I would say that I am a short to medium term value investor. I like to buy my stocks on sale and generally like to sell within a year of the purchase. When Tractor says that stocks are more predictable in the short term based on technical data, something important is to understand that for him that is true. For me, I just don't get it when it comes to the short term and I would be terrible at guessing it, for me, time is my friend. I say this to reiterate, go with your strengths and what you find you are good at. Not all of us have the same strengths and weaknesses.

1. Decide what you are. Are you a long-term investor, day trader, value investor, growth minded? How long do you want to keep a stock you purchase for? A week, month, year, day, doesn't matter? Decide what exactly you want to do to make money in the market, read about and learn from someone else who is good at doing it the way you want to, then develop a specific plan around how you will do it. For example, I can tell that I am a different kind of investor than Tractor. We both may do equally well in our overall portfolios but if I tried to do what he does I wouldn't be as successful as him and vice versa.

2. Follow your own rules. Once you decide what you are and what criteria you will look for to buy something follow those rules. Almost every time I have broken one of the rules I made for myself I have lost money.

3. Invest in things and companies that you know at least a little. Don't know sh*t about banks? Don't invest in bank stocks. Don't know shit about frozen concentrated orange juice? Don't invest in it. Etc......

4. Learn about the theory of sunk costs. Easier to conceptualize and see how it makes sense than to actually make a smart move dumping a loser. If a position I took has taken a loss, I either buy more or sell everything, there is no other logical choice.

If I had to describe myself as an investor I would say that I am a short to medium term value investor. I like to buy my stocks on sale and generally like to sell within a year of the purchase. When Tractor says that stocks are more predictable in the short term based on technical data, something important is to understand that for him that is true. For me, I just don't get it when it comes to the short term and I would be terrible at guessing it, for me, time is my friend. I say this to reiterate, go with your strengths and what you find you are good at. Not all of us have the same strengths and weaknesses.

Good info here thanks!

Some stocks will be long term, some wil be on the shorter terms. None will be day trading or anything like that.

Best advise of all is learn to except the pain of losing, not just losing some money, but the

deeper since of loss from being wrong about a position and then having the market take something "cash" from you because you where wrong.

Its just like being punished by your parents when you where young. Rather than letting your brain build up that "avoidance to pain" meaning "training not to do that again," you must learn to let it go and keep trading your plan even though it hurt last time and don't second guess yourself out of a great set up due to the remembered fear.

This is what defeats the majority of traders. These days there are lots of books on the subject, mostly written by beaten ex traders;-) They do have good points though, one I've read a couple times is "Trading in the Zone." Jesse Livermore had a knack for understanding the fear/greed dynamic of the market and earned/lost fortunes several times during the early 1900's.

Is Twitter death? It's been dropping from $53 to $31 in three months.

I'm usually a gambler but I'm gonna sit this one out.

I am still long TWTR, my cost average is $34 per share and I'm not selling. Sucks to watch though, lol.

Is Twitter death? It's been dropping from $53 to $31 in three months.

I'm usually a gambler but I'm gonna sit this one out.

Twitter put out a report within the last week or so showing a pretty steep decline in traffic. They've probably run their course, and won't be growing any more without a new business concept.

I hear Planet Fitness is doing the IPO thing this week. Any opinion's (other than its the fat person gym)?

I personally like their model as a business and could see them making nice profits but only if the health fad continues, otherwise they are just renting out expensive retail space.

I hear Planet Fitness is doing the IPO thing this week. Any opinion's (other than its the fat person gym)?

I personally like their model as a business and could see them making nice profits but only if the health fad continues, otherwise they are just renting out expensive retail space.

They seem to get the best type of clients, motivated enough to pay, not motivated enough to go or cancel. Although I have heard their cancellation policy is a little shady.

• 2 weeks later...