Computer nerds: gaming PC wanted

JuicedH22

I am wanting a PC capable of smoothly running rfactor/rfactor2... Below are the recommendations/requirements... I don't know shit about comparing things like graphics cards, etc...

Catch is I don't want to spend more than $400-500 if possible. So was hoping the resident computer literate could help me... The cheaper the better... I like blowing money on car parts, not games...

Rfactor2:

Runs Best With

- 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon II x2 or better

- 4GB RAM or more

- nVidia 250 GTS or ATI/AMD 4870 or better

- 512MB Video Memory or more

- Microsoft Windows Vista 64bit, Windows 7 64bit

- DirectX 9.0c (included with installer)

- 2008 C++ SP1 Runtimes (included with installer)

- 4GB Hard Drive Space or more

- Internet Connection

- Steering wheel and pedals

System Requirements

- 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 or 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon x2

- 2GB RAM

- nVidia 8600 GT or ATI/AMD 3850

- 256MB Video Memory

- Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7

- DirectX 9.0c (included with installer)

- 2008 C++ SP1 Runtimes (included with installer)

- 4GB Hard Drive Space

- Internet Connection

Rfactor

Runs Best With

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 processor

- PC Windows XP

- 2048 MB RAM

- Geforce 7900 GT or Radeon X1900 GT

- 256 MB video RAM

- DirectX 9.0c

- 2.0 GB of hard drive space for installation

- Internet connection required for system activation, enabled network adapter required for gameplay

System Requirements

- 1.4 GHz processor

- PC Windows 98 SE, ME, 2000, XP, XP 64-bit, Vista, 7 (will NOT run in Windows 95 or Windows 98 first edition)

- 512 MB RAM

- Geforce4 4200 or Radeon 9200

- 128 MB video RAM

- DirectX 9.0c

- 2.0 GB of hard drive space for installation

- Internet connection required for system activation, enabled network adapter required for gameplay

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2YDxP

This build is priced just a tad over your max, but is going to run modern shit quite near their highest settings.

The graphics card in particular is a steal for $150: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/149-nvidia-gtx-750-ti-unveiled-plays-titanfall-better-than-xbox-one/1100-6417813/

If you want help in assembly throw me a PM.

Honestly for what your looking for a AMD APU based machine would suffice.

Goto Microcenter and build a A10 based machine and put the extended 2 year OOPS coverage on it. ANYTHING goes wrong they givve you a gift card with the value of the hardware that broke. my wifes 6 core AMD's FAN died i took the chip up and they gave me what i paid for it......

For your needs, I also suggest an APU*. Go with the Brand New A10-7850K. The GPU is integrated with the CPU, so no additional costs there. Spend the discrete GPU money on the largest SSD that fits in your budget. You can always add a GPU at a later date if you decide you want more performance, which is much easier than adding a SSD later.

Here ya go: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Zdx3

Add THIS RAM. It's not an option on PC Parts Picker. But it's nice and fast to benefit the integrated Radeon R7.

*Normally I'd recommend a quad-core i5 at a minimum, but it puts a build out of budget, and beyond required performance.

Edit: Don't forget you also need to budget for a monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, and an OS. Windows 8 can be had for around $100. Ubuntu and SteamOS are free, but may not work with your game.

550W seems a bit low for powersupply for that machine too. Might be able to sneak by with it but seems like you could get a 650-750W PS for little more or the same price even.

For which build? My build or Ryan's build? It doesn't matter, as you must be high. Both configurations draw UNDER 200 Watts running full tilt. The 500W power supply is actually overkill, but leave room to grow with a more powerful GPU.

Ryans config: FX6300: 95W. GTX750 Ti: 60W

My Config: A10-7850K: 95W No Secondary GPU to draw power.

550W seems a bit low for powersupply for that machine too. Might be able to sneak by with it but seems like you could get a 650-750W PS for little more or the same price even.

For which build? My build or Ryan's build? It doesn't matter, as you must be high. Both configurations draw UNDER 200 Watts running full tilt. The 500W power supply is actually overkill, but leave room to grow with a more powerful GPU.

Ryans config: FX6300: 95W. GTX750 Ti: 60W

My Config: A10-7850K: 95W No Secondary GPU to draw power.

Correct. The 550W is way overkill. It's just a good PSU for the price range of shit that is known to catch fire.

PS: You forgot ram on your build.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!

I will probably go to micro enter first (since they are literally 5 mins from my office, and see how that price compares. If that doesn't work out, I will go with one of your suggestions. Thanks again!

Oh, and yes I know I still need keyboard/mouse (have several of those), monitor (using screen for driving simulator), and an OS. :)

Correct. The 550W is way overkill. It's just a good PSU for the price range of shit that is known to catch fire.

PS: You forgot ram on your build.

Look again ;)

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!

I will probably go to micro enter first (since they are literally 5 mins from my office, and see how that price compares. If that doesn't work out, I will go with one of your suggestions. Thanks again!:)

That's my favorite place to buy CPUs. If you go the APU route, make damned sure you go Kaveri. That's the latest release from AMD, and the only one that is worth a damn.

So, you're speaking greek to me. Whats the difference between a CPU and an APU? and WTF is Kaveri? (hitting up google as soon as I send this message)

My plan at MC was to take the system requirements, as well as your suggested PCs in a "can you offer the same type of package at the same/less cost?" type conversation?

So, you're speaking greek to me. Whats the difference between a CPU and an APU? and WTF is Kaveri? (hitting up google as soon as I send this message)

My plan at MC was to take the system requirements, as well as your suggested PCs in a "can you offer the same type of package at the same/less cost?" type conversation?

APU stands for Accelerated Processing Unit. That's what AMD calls their CPUs with integrated graphics. Kaveri is the model name of the latest revision of AMD's APU. The CPU got a slight processing power bump over previous generations, but the big gain was in graphics processing power. Since the GPU (Radeon R7 in the case of the A10-7850K) is integrated into the APU core it doesn't have it's own memory. It shares system RAM, so you'll want good fast RAM for best performance.

Microcenter will price match Newegg, no questions asked.

Will one perform better than the other (APU vs CPU)? Is there a cost difference?

I think what I have heard you say is an APU is more what I want? Can you expand?

I'm suggesting an APU vs CPU + dedicated GPU because it allows you to add a SSD and stay within budget. Technically, the build Ryan posted (AMD FX "6 core" CPU + nVidia GTX750) will have more processing power. The build I posted will be more than powerful enough to run your game, and will be faster in day to day tasks because of the SSD. If later on down the road you needed more graphics oomph, you could always add a dedicated GPU. That's much easier than upgrading to a SSD at a later date.

Read about Kaveri here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7677/amd-kaveri-review-a8-7600-a10-7850k

The sad state of affairs is this: AMD's current lineup of CPUs can't hang with ANY of Intel's current Core lineup. For that reason, I don't ever recommend an AMD FX CPU. You're better off spending a few more bucks and getting into a Core i3 or i5. My views change a little bit in regards to the A series APU. For about the same price as AMD's "6 core" FX CPU, you can get a Quad core APU with current-generation Radeon R7 graphics built right in. The Radeon R7 isn't the fastest GPU around, but it will more than suffice. Also, you can add any dedicated Radeon R7 GPU (that uses on board GDDR3 memory). The APU will Crossfire with the dedicated card and combine graphics processing power.

I personally would go with the build Ryan made. Im running an older AMD Processor and a 550Ti GPU and i can play most new games on high without really suffering any frames. Granted my whole PC was built years ago, with me replacing the graphics card early last year or late 2012, cant really remember. I also dont have as much RAM as the build Ryan posted, im only running 4gigs.

Jasons will do regular tasks faster, but Ryans has a dedicated GPU (Graphics Card) and more hard drive space (Granted its HDD vs SSD). Also the graphics card in Ryans build is a really good graphics card for the price, if i had the money id go pick one up myself with another 4gigs of ram.

The build Ryan posted is going to be a really good computer, and the difference is only $50-$60 once you add the ram to Jasons PC, and the only thing i would change (If you want a faster hard drive) would be a SSD hard drive, but those can get pricey once you start going up in size. (Example is the 500GB HDD Ryan Posted is $60, and the 120GB SSD Jason posted is $82)

Also a personal preference here, i will never run another graphics card that isnt nVidia, i had nothing but problems with my AMD cards.

I personally would go with the build Ryan made. Im running an older AMD Processor and a 550Ti GPU and i can play most new games on high without really suffering any frames. Granted my whole PC was built years ago, with me replacing the graphics card early last year or late 2012, cant really remember. I also dont have as much RAM as the build Ryan posted, im only running 4gigs.

Jasons will do regular tasks faster, but Ryans has a dedicated GPU (Graphics Card) and more hard drive space (Granted its HDD vs SSD). Also the graphics card in Ryans build is a really good graphics card for the price, if i had the money id go pick one up myself with another 4gigs of ram.

The build Ryan posted is going to be a really good computer, and the difference is only $50-$60 once you add the ram to Jasons PC, and the only thing i would change (If you want a faster hard drive) would be a SSD hard drive, but those can get pricey once you start going up in size. (Example is the 500GB HDD Ryan Posted is $60, and the 120GB SSD Jason posted is $82)

Also a personal preference here, i will never run another graphics card that isnt nVidia, i had nothing but problems with my AMD cards.

The build I posted has a 128GB Samsung Evo SSD and a 1TB Segate 7200RPM drive. ;)

You're absolutely right about a dedicated GPU providing more performance, which is where crossfiring a discrete R7 card with the APU's integrated R7 comes in. OP could easily do that at a later date with minimal hassle.

The build I posted has a 128GB Samsung Evo SSD and a 1TB Segate 7200RPM drive. ;)

You're absolutely right about a dedicated GPU providing more performance, which is where crossfiring a discrete R7 card with the APU's integrated R7 comes in. OP could easily do that at a later date with minimal hassle.

Oh I didnt notice yours has two hard drives, woops. And yeah he could also add a GPU later and crossfire it (AMD CPU with AMD GPU as long as there crossfire enabled) but what i was looking at was the two builds right there, and if he wanted to build one and play Rfactor2 the day he built it. If he built your PC Jason then added a GPU later yours would be better but again, out of his budget for now to add a GPU to it for Rfactor2 and i dont know if he wants to build a PC then wait longer to get be able to play those.

Oh I didnt notice yours has two hard drives, woops. And yeah he could also add a GPU later and crossfire it (AMD CPU with AMD GPU as long as there crossfire enabled) but what i was looking at was the two builds right there, and if he wanted to build one and play Rfactor2 the day he built it. If he built your PC Jason then added a GPU later yours would be better but again, out of his budget for now to add a GPU to it for Rfactor2 and i dont know if he wants to build a PC then wait longer to get be able to play those.

The crossfired R7 is just room to grow in the future (For cheap). The A10-7850K has integrated 512 Radeon R7 stream processors. It should run rFactor 2 fluently.

Anyway, won't hurt my feelings if OP goes a different route. I just believe a SSD should be a feature in all builds these days. My Lenovo Y410p has a caching SSD. It's painfully easy to tell what is and isn't cached in the SSD.