phone people....text question

xlr8tn

I switched from an iphone to a note 2 a month or two ago. Either texting with android really sucks balls or I'm doing something wrong. I can't text a 3 second video? I've did a little reading about whatsapp and shit like that but in order for that to work then everyone you want to send videos too has to also have that right? I don't want to make everyone else have to DL an app just to get my vids because I messed up and switched from iphone. The longer I have this phone the more I hate it. 99% of what I do is text....I rarely even talk on the phone. Been a huge disappointment. I do like the size though. Just have to figure out which I want more a bigger phone or text messages that let you send whatever you want through them.

I don't have any problems sending videos, but sending videos through SMS is pretty pointless cause the quality is awful.

I'm assuming you're using the stock samsung sms app, which from what I've seen it's pretty much shit. Download Hangouts, click the camera button on the bottom right, select Take Video and send.

Wai, on droid you can't just send quick txt videos with out downloading a app? (serious question)

And you have to download videos sent to you just to watch

Them?

#boggled

He doesn't have a Droid, he has a Note.

But the Hangouts app (the default SMS app for Android from Google), lets you send them and let's you view videos (even linked from youtube) and gifs right in the app.

Hangouts is available for iOS too, and it's a nice replacement for the stock SMS app. Let's you do wifi calling and group video chats.

I don't have any problems sending videos, but sending videos through SMS is pretty pointless cause the quality is awful.

I'm assuming you're using the stock samsung sms app, which from what I've seen it's pretty much shit. Download Hangouts, click the camera button on the bottom right, select Take Video and send.

I had hangouts at one time and tried it but got rid of it. I guess I'm just wondering why I should have to do anything? Didn't with iphone. Just attach the video and click send. I'm just at the point where this phone is gone. I'll sell this one and get another iphone. There are things about the iphone that I don't like but at least texting works. Iphones are too small, no external storage, and force you to deal with itunes.

You won't be able to text a video from a droid. They record in HD and the size is too large. An iPhone will record in HD, but the video it sends is in a far less quality that's scaled down to MMS size, depending on the length of the video.

I had hangouts at one time and tried it but got rid of it. I guess I'm just wondering why I should have to do anything? Didn't with iphone. Just attach the video and click send. I'm just at the point where this phone is gone. I'll sell this one and get another iphone. There are things about the iphone that I don't like but at least texting works. Iphones are too small, no external storage, and force you to deal with itunes.

Did you try sending a video with Hangouts?

I've never had a Touchwiz phone and don't really ever plan on ever getting one. If it wasn't for pure Android, I'd probably have an iPhone too.

I have the note 2 using straight talk (at&t towers)

the samsung text messaging app sucks with mms, group texts don't come in threaded.

I use handscent sms and t works better.

I can send short videos via text, but you have to use limit for mms when you record them. not sure if you can downsize them after you record them.

I just upload larger vids to youtube to share.

Apple phones use "imessage" to send text and pictures. It doesn't send everything via SMS if you send to another apple device. Android has something kind of similar it is "hangouts". Like everyone else said try that. OR you can just send an e-mail to someone with the video. Just make sure the file size is not huge.

What version of Android is your Note running? This is your answer:

Hangouts app (the default SMS app for Android from Google)

The 'Messaging' app is for Text and Photos, but Hangouts will get you where you want to go. It's included in modern releases of Google Apps package.

Your carrier controls the version of Android you've got - and they're really slow about releasing updates, if at all. On the upshot, Samsung is generally pretty developer friendly, and you can do it yourself and get rid of the built in junk at the same time.

http://rootzwiki.com/forum/375-galaxy-note/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note

I'm running Android 4.4.2

Settings > About Phone

* for extra fun, click on your android version 5 times.

After you get all ROM'd and flashed and whatnot, you can make your device extra pretty:

http://mycolorscreen.com/popular/

Was considering switching to something other than an iPhone until I read this thread...

2 android users with hangouts has the same options for sending attachments as 2 apple users using imessage. Try to send a video from imessage to an android user or vice versa and see what happens. SMS/MMS is such a primitive way of sending text and attachments between users. You need to ask yourself what do the majority of people I contact the most use? If it isn't what you currently use don't jump ship.

2 android users with hangouts has the same options for sending attachments as 2 apple users using imessage. Try to send a video from imessage to an android user or vice versa and see what happens. SMS/MMS is such a primitive way of sending text and attachments between users. You need to ask yourself what do the majority of people I contact the most use? If it isn't what you currently use don't jump ship.

I think that's probably most of it.....almost everyone I know have iphones. To be honest with you I really don't understand the whole sms/mms thing really. I don't really want to be a phone expert. I have enough shit to take up my time without having to spend time figuring out a phone. I just want to text and send pics/vids to people. I don't really even talk on my phone much. I text 99% of the time.

You can absolutely send an MMS/Video text to another person with video on a SGNote. I use it on a Note 3 often. As Chris noted, the video quality isn't great but then to text someone great quality video, you're best off uploading it to a site such as Vimeo and sending them a link.

If you want to send video, click on the paperclip looking thing in the Text Message, it will bring up the Attach Menu and then select Record Video.

You can absolutely send an MMS/Video text to another person with video on a SGNote. I use it on a Note 3 often. As Chris noted, the video quality isn't great but then to text someone great quality video, you're best off uploading it to a site such as Vimeo and sending them a link.

If you want to send video, click on the paperclip looking thing in the Text Message, it will bring up the Attach Menu and then select Record Video.

even to iphone users without them having hangouts?

even to iphone users without them having hangouts?

Yep. I sent a bunch of vids from Hawaii to a friend who uses an iPhone. Again, personally, best to shoot 1080p and upload it to a hosting site and send a link, but in a pinch and to rub in the surf and sun, what I did worked well :p

my buddy with an iphone sends me vids all the time but I can't send him one. That's what started this whole rant in the first place. :D He sent a vid....I tried to answer with a vid and it's been on my nerves ever since.

I have my phone route all my calls through my Google Voice number (T-Mobile) which means I can't send any MMS at all unless I use the TMo number that I've not bothered to give out to anyone. So I never send any MMS messages. And you know what?

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp201/copperhead035/ccef0a528f37c5e0f0629e78ee9d939ace8_zpsb578d4a0.jpg