Man stopped for open carry

Casper

so a highly-trained LAW ABIDING citizen, with a proper gun license and no felony record.. can't carry a firearm...? Totally ridiculous

Any one else have an Ohio CCW license besides me? I have not been harassed for it, yet.

No one on here carries weapons or would even think of getting a CCW.

so a highly-trained LAW ABIDING citizen, with a proper gun license and no felony record.. can't carry a firearm...? Totally ridiculous

Any one else have an Ohio CCW license besides me? I have not been harassed for it, yet.

I have a CCW. However, I must agree with the officers on this one. Why cause panic and concern when it is not necessary? Just because you can?

You do not have to carry OPENLY. There is no real reason to,

except as a blatant display. Doing so, in my opinion, may actually reduce the effectiveness of the gun for defense. If I was going to rob you and saw the gun I would approach you accordingly or shoot you from a distance first. Maybe knife you first and rob you later! Any of a combination of things because I now know you are armed.

You lose the element of surprise. Much like a Martial Arts expert walking around in his uniform. More likely than not he'd get his butt kicked by people just to prove a point.

You lose the element of surprise. Much like a Martial Arts expert walking around in his uniform. More likely than not he'd get his butt kicked by people just to prove a point.

This would more likely disarm his assailant via the fits of laughter this would cause.

"Milwaukee's police chief said he'll go on telling his officers to take down anyone with a firearm despite Van Hollen's finding that people can carry guns openly if they do it peacefully."

Um, bad choice of words anyone?

i thought the same thing.......... so like with a taser :lol:

"Milwaukee's police chief said he'll go on telling his officers to take down anyone with a firearm despite Van Hollen's finding that people can carry guns openly if they do it peacefully."

Um, bad choice of words anyone?

Very bad wording

[Craig's father catches him with a handgun]

Mr. Jones: What's that for?

Craig: Protection.

Mr. Jones: Protection from who?

Craig: Me and Smoke... I've got to walk Smokey down to his house.

Mr. Jones: Aw, man... your mother and I never would've moved to this neighborhood if we'd known you need a gun to walk down the damn street.

Craig: You know how it is 'round here.

Mr. Jones: Oh, no, son. That's not the way it is. You kids have been nothin' but punks. Sissified. So quick to pick up a gun. Too scared to take an ass-whipping. [Raises his fists] This is what makes you a man. When I was growing up, this was all the protection we needed. You win some, you lose some. But you live, you live to fight another day! Now you think you're a man with a gun in your hands, don't you?

Craig: I'm a man without it.

Mr. Jones: Put the gun down.

[Craig complies]

Mr. Jones: C'mon, put up your dukes.

[Craig raises his fists]

Mr. Jones: Now you're a man. Your uncle picked up a gun, too. He found out the hard way. Twenty-two years old. You've got a choice. This is all you need, alright?

Element of surprise... maybe. What if I don't want to be bothered by a would-be robber? I can't find any better deterrent than a hand cannon bolted to my hip.

YESSUR.. cosign on that! The whole confrontation can be avoided... they can go pick on an easier target.

I'll assume this was meant in jest and not to be taken literally. If it is the former.. very cute. It it is the latter.. well' date=' good luck with that.[/quote']

*sigh* Oh boy, n/m. It's just a movie quote from a funny movie.

Edited by NinjaNick

Honestly, my position is that it's better to conceal it than having it open.

OPEN = More danger in my opinion.

My opinion on the news article though I really don't care enough to have one. But I do have an opinion on the OPEN carry though as stated above. :cheers:

What if you cannot afford a permit and a CCW class? Should personal protection only be obtainable to those with the money to do so?

Show me one case where that has happened and I'll consider your point. I've got a quarter in my pocket that says you won't find one.

Element of surprise... maybe. What if I don't want to be bothered by a would-be robber? I can't find any better deterrent than a hand cannon bolted to my hip.

The money argument is just that an argument. How many times have I heard people complain about not having money for something and then light up a cigarrete.

If you are that poor how did you get the gun in the first place?

In this country it is primarily about priorities. If you fear for your life that much get an extra job long enough to afford the permit etc..

The average gun costs several times the cost of a permit. I could go on and on.

How could I show you an example? Show me an example where a thief was deterred by an open carry gun?

Permits insure the individual is at least minimally knowledgeable enough to safely carry a gun without shooting innocent bystanders trying to show it off to his buddies.

Why not let people drive without a license and insurance? Is that only for people with money as well?

The whole "poor" people needing protection as well has way too many holes.

Your opinion doesn't trump state law. It is not up to the officers or their chiefs to decide what the law is. It is there job to enforce the current laws.

Yes' date=' because it is my right as an Ohioan. (or, in this case, a Milwalkeean)[/quote']

I agree with you. But just because you can ... legally doesn't mean you should. That is my point. I'm not arguing law.

Edited by balaormiga