Planning a trip to Dubai

6 Speed S4

Has anyone ever been to Dubai. Me and my g/f are planning our 5 year anniversery trip. We are planning to stay at the Armani Hotel in the Burj Khalifa (tallest bulding in the world). We aren't going until late October. Just wanted to see what attractions to check out? I've heard the largest mall in the world is there and theres some cool man made islands to check out.

Any input would be great.

If you like drinking and your woman likes being treated as an equal, I'd say avoid Dubai.

Buddy of mine was just there with his gf on a short day trip on his way to Seychelles. Said "It was cool, but if you're traveling with a woman don't spend more than a day there. You can't do most things".

How many days? I couldn't see spending more than a day or two there personally, and that's a long ass flight for such a short time IMO. It's a money sucker country nothing is cheap there and there isn't a lot to do honestly outside of the indoor mall that you can ski in, the cool buildings and the nice beaches.

I guess you could take a desert tour also.

We plan on 4 days there, and bringing 4-5k spending money with us. But I didnt know about the woman being treated bad there.

I'd research the country and region as a whole in depth before you decide to vacation there.... Just a heads up.

For what it's worth my mom travels there a few times a year (60yr old white woman) for work and has never had issues. I get the vibe that they understand the concept of tourists not following their rules. I'm not sure how much of an impact the party she would be traveling with is though. I can ask.

Dubai is very westernized. Your woman should be fine. I lived there for a short time but it was more than 10 years ago. It's hard to drink, it's hard to find pork products; but you can get to them in the touristy areas.

As for what to do, definitely check out the gold souk. It's a large area of shops that sell gold which is cheaper than you can find almost anywhere. The reflection of the gold from the shop windows makes it appear as if everything is made of gold. I bought a watch while I was there, I picked it up for $260 and found out it was a $900+ watch when I got back.

They also have excursions into the desert with a 4WD vehicle, it takes a few hours, and you end up at a fenced in area where they have a huge feast and music with belly dancers. I can't say enough good things about it. I wish I had more info for you, but you should DEFINITELY do it if it's still a thing there.

You may experience some racism, but for the most part the people you encounter will not be Arabs. If you DO run across an Arab who is being rude, or perhaps ignoring the fact that you're in line somewhere, be careful because he is above the law. Even if you're in the right, you could end up in a foreign jail for starting something.

The city is beautiful. Outside the city, there is NOTHING. Take pictures, show them to us when you get back. :)

Yeah that whole region views women A LOT different than americans do.....you might want to research that before you go there, IMO there are many other places I'd rather go for an anniversary over Dubai. It would only be a layover type place for me personally. I've been to the airport and off and around it for travel a few times and honestly I just couldn't see spending 4-5 days there.

Women there for business are treated differently than someone going there as a tourist.

Went for 2010 new year's eve. It is very westernized in terms of women and not following their cultural norms. Many English people vacation/have second homes there. I was worried about sticking out like a sore thumb but in all of the places a normal person would want to go you'll be among many non-natives. Obviously you don't want to act like an idiot but I think that's a given.

We did a desert tour that took us to a party in the middle of the dessert for NYE so it was dark and we couldn't see much desert, but it was really cool. I'd imagine they do parties out there every weekend. Saw the largest mall and the fountains which are fantastic. Went to the beach to chill and check out the Burj Al Arab. Also went over to the Atlantis Dubai and walked through the hotel as it was incredible. We didn't do a boat tour but I think that would've been cool to see all of the buildings. We also went to a couple museums and a "public" mosque where they explain their religious traditions.

All in all it was an incredible trip(minus the layover in Kuwait, that blew) and any hesitations I had going there were completely gone at the end of the first day. So much was under construction then I can't imagine what has gone up in 3 years.

i went in 2010, in October it will still be quite toasty. i went in December and the weather was perfect mid 80's in the day and 60's at night. in Dubai its very laid back and "western" i loved it there and women are not hindered from anything i saw in dubai. in the other provinces it may be that way but if you stay in Dubai and have time id venture to Abu Dahbi that is also a great place. despite what people think its extremely friendly there and its for sure an amazing place to visit. just pack some nice spending cash as a lot of things are pricey.

Has anyone ever been to Dubai. Me and my g/f are planning our 5 year anniversery trip. We are planning to stay at the Armani Hotel in the Burj Khalifa (tallest bulding in the world). We aren't going until late October. Just wanted to see what attractions to check out? I've heard the largest mall in the world is there and theres some cool man made islands to check out.

Any input would be great.

No, no no no.... Stay in the Burj al Arab instead!

Everything about that place is beautiful ;)

I live in Kuwait now and will be traveling to Dubai next month. I'll shoot you some input then.

Sounds good, I appreciate everyone's input. I still think we are going to go, it just looks really cool and it will be a once in a lifetime experience.

Joe