Canoeing/Floating C-bus

ShoMeSomeFun

I was wondering if anyone on here canoes, kayaks, or just floats any rivers in the central Ohio area. I haven't been to Ohio in years but plan on moving back within the month and hopefully the weather will be compliant by that time to pursue my second favorite hobby.

Im not looking for fishing spots, though I do from time to time. Just places that I can go and unload my inflatable and just kick back and have a few beers and enjoy the water. I also have an electric trolling motor that I can mount to be boat, so Id prefer waterways that I can go back upstream to get back to my unloading/loading point, if the water isn't deep enough Ill just have to invite friends and use two vehicles.

The house I purchased is close to the Darby Creek area, im just unsure of access points, use of an electric motor, depth of water, and if cabrewing is allowed. In GA its pretty much up to your discretion and there are large crowds of people just having a good time, but Im unsure of Ohio rules on the water especially in state park areas.

I don't do boats with motors. If you are into single kayaking, canoeing with friends, and a cooler of beer check out the few liveries near old man's cave.

http://www.hockinghillscanoeing.com/rivertrips.html

I like doing the longer trips and being out for 5 hours.

You can check out Charles's mills lake near mansfield ohio. There are a few places to rent boats, canoes, kayaks, or bring your own boat. My parents live real close so I can always kayak for free. It is always a good time :)

I don't really have a boat. I have a Intex Mariner and Excursion, they are inflatables that can take a lot of punishment (40 trips on the excursion its bigger fits 4 people comfortably or up to 6 but less durable, and 10 or so on the Mariner its alittle smaller but more stout) and I just have the motor for them (electric trolling motor) when I go to lakes, ocean, or anything that's deep enough for me to use it.

And thanks for the info keep it coming.

I was wondering if anyone on here canoes, kayaks, or just floats any rivers in the central Ohio area. I haven't been to Ohio in years but plan on moving back within the month and hopefully the weather will be compliant by that time to pursue my second favorite hobby.

Im not looking for fishing spots, though I do from time to time. Just places that I can go and unload my inflatable and just kick back and have a few beers and enjoy the water. I also have an electric trolling motor that I can mount to be boat, so Id prefer waterways that I can go back upstream to get back to my unloading/loading point, if the water isn't deep enough Ill just have to invite friends and use two vehicles.

The house I purchased is close to the Darby Creek area, im just unsure of access points, use of an electric motor, depth of water, and if cabrewing is allowed. In GA its pretty much up to your discretion and there are large crowds of people just having a good time, but Im unsure of Ohio rules on the water especially in state park areas.

Little Miami down towards Cincy is one spot my wife and I would frequent. We also took our canoe down big walnut from Hoover Dam to some dudes back yard off Sunbury road, big walnut from woodside green south to that dog park out towards the air port, and then again from Friendship Park in Gahanna down to that dog park by the airport. Starting at woodside green south will take you through down town Gahanna by the river walk...just watch out for that low bridge. You have to duck when going under it, and if the river is high, you may not clear it at all.

Theres a cabrewing 3 day event labor day weekend in loudonville.

Legal?

I know that on the Lower Darby through Darbyville DNR/Sheriffs set up hidden "Checkpoints" to bust Cabrewers during the summer (they also do this on the Little Miami). Honestly thought Cabrewing was pretty much illegal throughout the whole state...That said I still do it, just don't litter or act like a moron.

Legal?

I know that on the Lower Darby through Darbyville DNR/Sheriffs set up hidden "Checkpoints" to bust Cabrewers during the summer (they also do this on the Little Miami). Honestly thought Cabrewing was pretty much illegal throughout the whole state...That said I still do it, just don't litter or act like a moron.

PUI? Paddling under the influence? I sure am glad they're out there busting these hardcore criminals.

PUI? Paddling under the influence? I sure am glad they're out there busting these hardcore criminals.

With the exception of Lake Erie I believe it's Illegal to possess Alcohol on any watercraft, period. Ohio laws on boating are fucking stoobid. Also the main reason they're cracking down on it is due to people doing downright stupid shit while Cabrewing (Getting so drunk they can't walk/swim, trashing the river, tipping Canoes etc)

If you can paddle for most of the day, drink a 12 pack, stop on an island for a bacon nutella sandwich, and you still stumble when walking I got news for you. Time to re-evaulate your life choices.

Hocking was def the most fun. Usually a lot of party floatillas and people having a good time, plus good rope swings along the way.

We also went to one on the Scioto just south of Columbus with the same type of vibe...just really dirty compared to Hocking,

Hocking was def the most fun. Usually a lot of party floatillas and people having a good time, plus good rope swings along the way.

We also went to one on the Scioto just south of Columbus with the same type of vibe...just really dirty compared to Hocking,

I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable swimming in the water South of Columbus. Lots of raw sewage gets dumped into the Scioto from Downtown - 10+ Miles South.

Hocking Hills is nice. Loudonville is also good. I've not done the rivers in "central OH" but those areas are pretty close. I've Kayaked many rivers around the east coast as well. After I move to Charlotte its something I'll probably do some more of since I'll be in easy driving distance to some good white water.

Im on big Darby all the time. I try to stay away from the trapper john rental areas, too many idiots.

Im not worried about other people but I do want to avoid having to pay to get on a public river. What access points do you use?

I was always told that as long as you are not in a state park, they can't stop you from drinking and canoeing or kayaking. Do it all the time up in Mohican. Also buddies of mine and I hit up the Birch Bark Canoeing in Urbana at least once a month once the water gets warm.