I'm starting to like Tesla

cybe

You have to be rich to drive a Tesla?

Last I looked at the prices, I thought they seemed much cheaper than I expected.

I would suspect that I would have to make 100k a year to comfortably afford a tesla and other living expenses. I consider that "rich." But to each their own.

Teslas are still relatively expensive. But you do need to do the math on fuel costs and fluid changes and maybe it is not so far out of reach. Figure 15000 miles driven annually, that at 18mpg avg is 833 gallons of gas @ lets say $4.00 avg per gallon assuming fluctuation. That is $3300 of fuel costs, add in 2-3 oli changes at another $150-200, for a total cost of $3500 annual. If you drove the same milesn a Tesla and assuming all the charging is done at home, you would spend about $500 in electricity, a $3000 annual savings. Use that $3000 each year to pay down your car and that is at least $15-18k rive reduction. Keepn mind you get a $7500 tax credit up front. That is a total prvie reduction of $22.5k- 25.5k. Do you like funding the oil companies or your car with those annual costs? Now keep in mind that the Model E will be out in 18-24 months with a price tag of about $40k, but dont expect a huge tax credit on that one.

I'd be willing to bet nobody here would pay $150-200 for 2-3 oil changes. Hell, I take my work truck to a lube shop and it's change is only $50. The problem with justifying purchases in this way is, unless you are handing someone a check for that amount, they just don't "get it".

I have a strong feeling in the next 5-10 years they will make a large footprint in the auto industry, esp when the price becomes te same if not less than the similar model BMW,Audi,MB etc. At a price of 40k I'm sure tons more will be running around

Gentlemen, let's not forget about this little gem in Tesla's crown either. :)

or this...

or this...

I rather like the idea of listening to your opponent burn race fuel, abuse their drivetrain, and see their frustration as you beat them in a drag race. :thumbup:

Also realize that, properly optioned, the Tesla Model S will carry 5 adults and 2 rearward-facing children that can smile as they pass every other street car they encounter. :gabe:

Edited by zeitgeist57

Now keep in mind that the Model E will be out in 18-24 months with a price tag of about $40k, but dont expect a huge tax credit on that one.

I've been reading some places that are saying the Model E will start around 35k. Hopefully it's true

Is there any expecting pricing on the model x yet? Wife likes it. Hmm....

Very similar to the Model S, the cost of developing technology is keeping it high until the new battery factory is started in the USA. Shipping those heavy current technology batteries is expensive and Elon cant control the cost. There is new battery technology on the way, lighter, longer lasting and less expensive.