Randomly pulled for insurance check

STEVE-O

Was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and what would cr suggest is the easy way to deal with this...

I got vanity plates for my TA. The BMV sent my plates in the mail with a letter saying the stickers for registration would be mailed seperatly. I have still yet to receive them. They selected the TA for random proof of insurance check. Now I do not carry insurance currently on the car as it does not have valid plates due to not having current stickers yet and in addition to this the car has been parked in my garage for months now due to a bad transmission.

They offer me a few options as how to proceed but none seem simple so I now turn to cr first to see if this type of problem has happened to anyone else. Tia

Put the car under your current policy and the insurance company will issue you a proof-of-insurance card. If you need it sooner, see if your agent could print the card on the spot. Some companies would allow you to print it yourself over the internet.

Was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and what would cr suggest is the easy way to deal with this...

I got vanity plates for my TA. The BMV sent my plates in the mail with a letter saying the stickers for registration would be mailed seperatly. I have still yet to receive them. They selected the TA for random proof of insurance check. Now I do not carry insurance currently on the car as it does not have valid plates due to not having current stickers yet and in addition to this the car has been parked in my garage for months now due to a bad transmission.

They offer me a few options as how to proceed but none seem simple so I now turn to cr first to see if this type of problem has happened to anyone else. Tia

Current stickers have been issued, therefore it is a legally registered car (whether or not it's legal to drive due to not having registration displayed). Legally registered cars must be insured.

Gotta get insurance, no way around it.

Pretty sure they require proof of insurance on a prior date or date range in the recent past. I.E. he can't buy a policy today that gets him around this.

That's why I said "current policy". An insurance card will have dates ranging from the beginning to the end of the policy; whether a vehicle was covered from the beginning or from a certain date inbetween, the card will show only those two dates.

Get a letter from your carrier stating that your vehicle doesn't carry coverage during the winter as it's not driven and always garaged, then show the BMV the rider on your homeowner's policy covering the vehicle in case the roof falls on it.

wow....this is an eye opener. We drop coverage on the f-body every winter because it just sits in the garage. Never thought about getting in trouble for not having insurance on it. Might have to change how we do things....at least keep just liability on it I guess with a huge deductable.

I know someone that got one of those letters once. Put it up on jackstands and yanked the suspension off, then sent them pictures of it. The state was cool with that. It might be enough to send them pictures of it without a transmission, and also mention that you never got the sticker for the plates, making them not valid plates anyway.

Either way, going this route is iffy. Legally, you must have insurance on it if you have valid plates for it.

You have insurance on your other Vehicles right? All you have to do is tell the BMV that your TA is a seasonal car and is only driven in the summer or w/e. Show them that you do have insurance on your other vehicles and you should be fine. Might have to go the the BMV office in person though.

Random Verification

Ohio law requires verification of proof of financial responsibility whenever a person is "randomly selected" by the BMV and requested to provide such verification. This process includes the mailing of letters to a random selection 5% of registered Ohio vehicle and noncommercial truck owners. Approximately 5,400 notices are generated per week or 280,000 notices annually.

The BMV is required to send written notice by regular mail to the owner of each vehicle randomly selected, informing the owner that proof showing financial responsibility coverage was in effect on the date specified must be submitted within 21 days of the mailing of the notice. This notification is sent to the person at the person's last known address as shown on the records of the BMV.

The owner may submit evidence to show that the vehicle is exempt because the vehicle:

• Is used on a seasonal basis only and the date specified is out of season for that vehicle.
      • Is inoperable and has been out of service for a period of at least 30 days immediately prior to the selection date or;
      • Is exempt for any other reason as approved by the Registrar.

wow....this is an eye opener. We drop coverage on the f-body every winter because it just sits in the garage. Never thought about getting in trouble for not having insurance on it. Might have to change how we do things....at least keep just liability on it I guess with a huge deductable.

Depending on how old the car is you could get comprehensive (sp?) during the winter months. From what I understand its for when your not driving the car but if something crazy happens to it then its covered, and it keeps the BMV happy.

Yes I have valid up to date insurance on the vehicle I drive just don't have the ta on my policy. There are a few options I have but was not sure if anyone has actually felt with this sort of problem. The ta falls into multiple choices of what route to take just was unsure of what the best one would be. Thanks for the input I'm going to re read over the paperwork they sent me of all the options I have and hopefully determine the quickest least headache route soon. Hopefully it will be a quick and easy process but we all know how the BMV likes to make just about everything as hard as possible

This very same thing happened to me on my TA a couple of years ago.

I too would drop my insurance on the Bird during the winter months.

I sent in a letter from a automotive repair shop that stated I was having

blah, blah done to the car and that it had been in there garage for a couple of months. Later the BMV sent me a letter thanking me for my reply.

Now my Bird has always been garaged and hell I've only put 1007 miles on

it since 2009 I will always keep at least the min. coverage. It's only $16.00

a month for cryin out loud. I do add full coverage during the summer months.

Good luck my friend.

Do any of you people have a insurance policy that covers cars in storage? I mean I have State Farm and every winter it has what I would call an "act of God" insurance policy on it. I.E. if a tree were to fall on the garage, the garage catch fire, or if the car is stolen. Then in the spring I reactivate the full coverage for driving......boom, always have proof. BTW that coverage for it sitting is only like $25 for the 5-6 months it sits.

I have no problem paying for the insurance just haven't added it on my policy because it has not moved since I bought it but now it seems like the hassle is not worth waiting next time even if my cr is just sitting. Thanks guys

Sean, it's called "comprehensive coverage".

Over the years, I put whichever hibernating cars under comprehensive coverage only. Ohio BMV is only concerned with liability coverage; having only comprehensive coverage is not enough for their random insurance checks.

I've had that happen to me as well, while my offroad truck was down for upgrades. I can't remember what I did about it. If I can remember to ask, maybe my wife will remember. It wasn't a big deal though.