Opinions on this 997 Turbo

Dr. Pomade

http://www.intersportautosales.com/detail.aspx?id=3491669&PrefID=682&.aspx

1. The Carfax says this car sustained minor damage. The dealership has included a copy of the accident report in the pics of the car. The salesman said the damage was to the rear bumper and made it seem minor (of course). The salesman also said that the dealership has opted not to repaint the rear bumper so that the seller can see whatever damage there is before buying. I guess that's a good thing, but bad if you consider that the bumper will probably need to be repainted.

How concerned should I be about this? If I bought this car, then I wouldn't keep it forever, so I'm concerned about resale and how something like this might affect it.

2. What's up with those red seatbelts? Are these as annoying to you guys as they are to me? I guess they could be swapped out.

3. Perhaps more of a concern is the red stitching. I don't know how I feel about that. What's your take?

Did the damage happen after the pictures were taken?

One of my really good friend's from back home, her father owns Classic Auto Sales. I know in 2004 they were moving about 60 Porsches a month. You may want to give Terry (her dad) a call, he can find you anything you want.

http://www.classicautosales.com/Inventory/?SearchText=Porsche

Their website doesn't have half of their inventory. I use to go up there a few times a month just to look at the car and flirt with Jenny :)

Did the damage happen after the pictures were taken?

One of my really good friend's from back home, her father owns Classic Auto Sales. I know in 2004 they were moving about 60 Porsches a month. You may want to give Terry (her dad) a call, he can find you anything you want.

http://www.classicautosales.com/Inventory/?SearchText=Porsche

Their website doesn't have half of their inventory. I use to go up there a few times a month just to look at the car and flirt with Jenny :)

No, I think the damage was before the pictures were taken. The salesman said that I wouldn't be able to tell unless he pointed it out. However, he also made a point of saying that they didn't repaint it, which makes me think that it needs repainted.

Thanks for that link - I'll check that out. Pics of Jenny?

The accident will hurt resale, I wouldn't consider unless it was a good bargain. Those seat belts are a option, My friend has yellow ones-ugly as sin.

Yeah, but how much will resale be hurt? A little, a moderate amount, or a lot? As a buyer, how much would you be concerned about it?

Yeah, but how much will resale be hurt? A little, a moderate amount, or a lot? As a buyer, how much would you be concerned about it?

Things that minor mean nothing to me, but to the general buyer this plays a big role. People are very picky, especially when purchasing something used-they feel they should be getting something "new"

Perfect example, I have a 95 M3 for sale, that makes roughly 600HP, it looks stock and is meant to be a sleeper. It has one purpose and that's going fast. A potential buyer said he probably wouldn't be interested in the car because it's in "rough shape" by rough he means a faded seat....... People are like this across the board when selling used cars, which is why if it's not a specialty vehicle I will just trade it in at a dealer and take a bath so I don't have to deal with people like that. I would walk to avoid headaches with re-sale, if you were keeping forever who cares, but that's not the case here.

I'd rock it (the car, white, red belts etc...)

If the bumper is a real issue from a resale perspective I'd pass

When you resell ... the buyer will see that paper trail and negotiate you down

Ask the dealer for a better price for this reason but I wouldn't bluff

I doubt they'd move on the price too much unless they've been sitting on the car for a while

McLean is in the Washington DC metro area and I bet they push those cars like <<insert fat kid loves cake reference here or something witty>>

Before even considering the car you should have a knowledgable person inspect the damage that could have taken place behind the bumper cover. You have to remember, anyone who buys these cars are fickle about details. If that minor incident is on the title, you bet it's going to kill the resale. Gorgeous car though, and I'm actually pretty fond of the red belts... I thought those only came in cup cars and GT models? Like I said, have the damage inspected and you make a decision on your own from there.

I too like the Red belts and Red stitching...someone paid really good money for those when they optioned it. What do I know I have yellow belts in my car for the inner ricer in me :-)Good news is if you hate the belts there's always a market to re-sell them. FWIW you can order the belts in whatever you want as long as you tick the option box when ordering and of course cough up the $$$

Typical Porsche buyer will hammer any sale moving forward now that the car has documented damage history. Give them hell over it just as you'll get hell for it down the road if you ever sell.

Car's not really a steal at 75k with that many miles. That's a high 60's car given mileage and damage history.

One other side note...could mean nothing but I don't believe those are a factory available turbo correct wheel. Looks like an 18" Carrera wheel I think all the turbo wheels were 19's no matter the style. Could be wrong, make sure the rears aren't running a spacer to make them fit right. Nothing wrong with them I like the way they look more than the OEM wheels but again it's something that's out of place that will cause questions if you ever sell down the road.

Great points all around guys, thanks.

I wondered about the wheels too, now that it was mentioned here. I'll inquire about that.

The dealer said the car had been there since November. However, I've been searching religiously over the past several weeks and never saw that car listed until like a week ago.

When would you sell it in the future? If you kept it 10+ years I wouldn't let that damage affect your decision; only sweeten the price in your favor. If you're going to be like erry other 'Murican and flip a car next year, then the butthurtness will bite you.

I lub dem red guts:thumbup:

I would realistically keep that car about three years, maybe a few more. So, definitely not 10 years +. I think the damage kills the deal for me, too.

And if the car has been there since November, I'm assuming it's because all the other potential buyers have been put off by the damage.

Very nice car, but I just don't like the white exterior. Like the others have said, it is not a steal, so buy the one you want to buy, don't settle unless the pricing is right. Edited by RS69

If its anything I learned while buying cars, bikes, and trucks, it's that you should get EXACTLY what you want the first time around. If that means saving a little more or having the patience to hold out, do it. You'll be happier in the long run. I have searched non stop for the next project I want and I can't for the life of me make up my mind. The right 997 TT will show up at the right time.

If its anything I learned while buying cars, bikes, and trucks, it's that you should get EXACTLY what you want the first time around. If that means saving a little more or having the patience to hold out, do it. You'll be happier in the long run. I have searched non stop for the next project I want and I can't for the life of me make up my mind. The right 997 TT will show up at the right time.

Are you still debating between a 997 TT and a GTR? IIRC those were two at the top of your short list.

My guess is more to that car then they are saying. Wrong wheels, damage history, had it since Nov, etc... Unless they knock off another $10k for where it should be priced I would walk away and even then it would be hard to buy at that price knowing those things...

Are you still debating between a 997 TT and a GTR? IIRC those were two at the top of your short list.

I'm debating between a couple of things right now just waiting for the right opportunity to present itself. I don't want to make a decision to quickly and be disappointed. However, I have this soft spot for a Supra. Just something about them..