Jeep Cherokee - SHIMMY on highway

zeitgeist57

Friends of my family called up: they have a 1996 Cherokee Country with 194k miles on it. The maintenance has been normal and routine, with not a lot of issues over their ownership.

A problem has recently arisen where he will hit a pothole and the whole Jeep will shimmy for 5-6 seconds. If he applies brakes gently, the shimmy goes away. The big thing is this only happens on two parts of the road he normally travels on: at highway speeds, as he rounds a gradual corner, and hits a pothole while still turning. Never any other time he's experienced.

He said that all the suspension pieces are up to snuff. I do know years ago a steering linkage that was welded to the front axle broke off and he had to shimmy shimmy shimmy his way to the shop where he had it rewelded to the axle. No problems since then. Please advise!

• 3 weeks later...
Even if the suspension appears to be good, its hard to tell if the steering damper is worn with out removing it to inspect it and worn steering dampers are one of the main causes for death wobble in jeeps. Id replace/ upgrade it and see if that helps. I replace alot of them for similar complaints.

He said that all the suspension pieces are up to snuff.

Even one overlooked loose parts can be enough to excite a Death Wobble. Cured a few of them threw tons of time spent combing over every part of the suspension and linkages.

Found Upper ball joints be the cause, Steering linkages, even wheel size/type mismatches with suspension set up.

I've also heard guys have problems with the front of the frame itself. will lose enough rigidity over time that it twists back and forth rapidly enough to create a DW situation.