A/C issues

DSM1290

I have a 03 Ranger, i hook the pressure gauge that came with the refill bottle. The gauge read 65psi and is in the yellow "alert" area on the gauge. The truck blows warm air when on max a/c. And the a/c clutch is not engaging. So should i try to fill the a/c like the can suggest to see if the clutch will engage or will it have too much pressure?

See this is a loaded question, sure you can put that in there because the charge is low and it might work out, but R134a isn't like the old R12 where you could tune the system off pressure. R134a needs to have a specific amount to work properly, and that measurement is in weight. If you want to fix your A/C system correctly you need to vacuum out whats in there, and pump in the correct amount, then figure out why it was low in the first place. 65psi seems low, but how much that is varies alot with temp and size of system, not to mention your measuring it with a cheap gauge.

If you insist on using the crap in a can, pay attention to how much you put in, find the label underhood that says how much the system holds and assuming it has somewhere around half that in it pay attention to how much you put in, install it through the low side (pretty sure those cans only have a low side fitting), do this with the engine running and the A/C commanded on, when the compressor kicks on, stop. Keep in mind that as soon as the compressor kicks on that low side will become a vacuum and suck that shit in quickly. See where you're at from there. Anyone who has worked with A/C will tell this isn't a proper fix, and you most likely have something leaking. Best of luck, try not to blow anything up, and do not breath the shit. Working around automotive chemicals and shit all day, refridgerent is one of the only things to make me feel sick.

Like Cordell said, you run the risk of damaging your ac system. I would get it properly drained, under suction, and new refrigerant put in.

Or you can bypass the relay with a paper clip to make sure the compressor engages, and get a recharge.