Home Theater Gurus - question

caseyctsv

We have a contractor redoing our great room and part of that renovation is moving the TV over my fireplace. They are running the wires today and need to know what wires to run from the built in shelves they put in to above the fireplace where the TV will be mounted. As I had it hooked up before I had 1 HDMI cable from the tuner to the TV - nothing else. All of the other HDMI units were run to the tuner and I use it to switch sources. Should I have them run anything else for any reason? I have never used PIP but I suppose I could run another HDMI to enable that option?

I would run more than one HDMI and perhaps even an optical or two. HDMI is the way to go and our set up for example has HDMI for the Cable, Roku, BlueRay and I have two extras for just in case things. I also have two opticals and two digital Coax....but I overkill everything and had it done years ago.

The Key Casey is to have them use PVC piping as a conduet so that you can litterall fish additional or replacement wires through the wall from the TV area to the Theater control or receiver area with ease. That's how I've added additional HDMI Support and newer HDMI wiring too. Not all HDMI's are the same. Spend the money and get the good stuff with plenty of silver in the lines. I went from Plasma to LED and LED is way more sensitive IQ Wise.

Setting up the piping will involve cutting some studs and may add more cost but you'll thank me down the road. I did it with all our wiring. That's how I added a second sub to the upstairs set up. Did it with ease too. All really depends on what you have being driven and set up in that room. Think future proofing though.

Yeah I was thinking PVC too. This is my upstairs set up- my theater is in the basement. However we use the great room most of the time and want to set it up right since it will be semi-permanent.

Talk with them about surge protection and filters for noise too. Again, hate to add to costs, but your wife can really "sell" that if/when you move. I've had several people look at our set ups both upstairs and in the lower level true theater area and were completely sold on how we did it right. those details are what really help.

Not all HDMI's are the same. Spend the money and get the good stuff with plenty of silver in the lines. I went from Plasma to LED and LED is way more sensitive IQ Wise.

You can't be serious. No, expensive hdmi cables aren't better in anyway other then the retailers making more money with the huge margarines in cables. :dumb:

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/

You can't be serious. No, expensive hdmi cables aren't better in anyway other then the retailers making more money with the huge margarines in cables. :dumb:

That being said, there are different specs for HDMI, but the newer are all backwards compatible.

Also, are you sure you want a TV above your fireplace? I've always found the viewing angle to be terrible, and the fire distracts from the TV and vice versa.

Don't kid yourself. Check the reviews... this cable POURS DIAMONDS OUT OF ITSELF.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-diamond-3-3-high-speed-hdmi-cable-dark-gray-black/2383276.p?id=1218324437192

Your initial setup is optimal; everything should run to the receiver first, then one HDMI out to the TV. Optical cables are shit compared to HDMI. Delete anything optical and replace with HDMI if possible. If not, run optical to the receiver first then like I said, one single HDMI to the TV. Let the receiver RECEIVE all the inputs first for sound.. it automatically passes all video inputs straight through to the TV.

I've tried so many configurations with old and new setups and trust me.. everything should go to the receiver first or shit gets fucked up.